Cooney came to play today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney came to play today

The problem isn't so much Cooney not making these closely guarded shots. It's that nobody else is making open ones. Patterson and Johnson HAVE to start making shots. Joseph can't pass up open 15 footers, because it might be the best look we get on that posession.

Yeah - G's tendency to disappear for a half here and there doesn't help either. We do need another scorer though. No clue if that's going to materialize though - it doesn't seem like it's on the way.

Where is this myth of Cooney playing well lately coming from?

0/7
6/17
9/16
3/10
6/21

He had one good game.

I did comment that all the praise for the 6/17 was bizarre. I also have thought that Cooney's overall game had improved in the last month. Hopefully last night was just a bad game and not a trend.

If he is shooting poorly, the team needs him to step up in other ways. The ball-handling and defense was as bad as the shooting last night.

So, 81 points on 71 shots is "not good?" C'mon man, wanna reconsider that one? 50 points on 50 shots is 50%.

It is 50% if you count by 2's. But it's less than 50% if you count by 3's or a hybrid number that combines 2's and 3's.

Agreed, he's been good.

Unfortunately, going forward we will likely lose any game where he has 5. We're so limited.
It's depressing how much this team relies on Cooney and and gbinije. Not saying they're not good enough to be go to guys but if one of them doesn't play well which is extremely possible every game, this team will no doubt lose. And if Both of them doesn't play well, we got what we got today. A 15 point drubbing against a 9-7 team

this loss is not on Cooney. we just arent that good this year. everyone knows this. Remember, we beat the 4 worst teams in the ACC so far... its going to get much tougher now.

The problem isn't so much Cooney not making these closely guarded shots. It's that nobody else is making open ones. Patterson and Johnson HAVE to start making shots. Joseph can't pass up open 15 footers, because it might be the best look we get on that posession.

AND Roberson. He can make the shot but he's not shooting it nearly enough.

That's why I posted the points/shot comparison. He's finally shooting better from 3, awesome seriously. But then he's giving it all away by shooting poorly from 2.

I do not think 98.5% of the board knows that if you consider those shooting performances great games.

Cooney doesn't use blazing point guard speed, crafty dribbles to get his defender of balence, a floater to offbalence a lack of size advanttage for a sg, or a super tall body for a sg to score in the paint. Hes strong, athletic, can jump pretty high but advantage in the paint isn't the stength of his game. He has the upperclass knowledge though to get a few buckets inside.

His body is very similar to triche in many ways we us cooney for perimeter screen catch and shoots instead of foul line ones. Trichee also started to learn some isolation as a senior by comparison. That being said Cooney is learning alittle isolation. I would be surprised if he doesn't use a pull up from 3 some in the near future. No doubt the ability to continue to get around his man and create points would make him a better pullup three man as well.

Last edited:
Cooney has been playing great. He had a bad game. It happens. This faceguarding cooney is nothing new. Wfu faceguarded him.
They didn't play close to the defense that Ron Hall played on Cooney.

I think at this point we all know what TC is -- he will go on some hot streaks and very cold streaks. Regardless, JB will ride with him - so we will just have to live with the good and the bad. He is the only legit scoring option at the 2 unless you want to plug Gbinje there, but then there is a huge hole at the 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom