Cooney expectations | Syracusefan.com

Cooney expectations

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Just wondering what you guys are expecting from him stat wise. I'm expecting 7 ppg, avg 2 threes made per game, 2 assists. And balls out hustle.

I predict he will be JB's short leash guy this year. One mistake, back to the bench.

He makes his first 3...he gets another 4 mins. He missed one or two and allows an open shooter or penetration on the other side...he's getting a Rak-like hook for sure.

This could lead to a lot of 40 (or close to) minute games for Triche or MCW.

Good point. Maybe I should revise that to second shortest leash. Which makes for another interesting poll question...

I wasn't saying you were wrong:) Boeheim milk as much time out of one guy if he wants too...

Just wondering what you guys are expecting from him stat wise. I'm expecting 7 ppg, avg 2 threes made per game, 2 assists. And balls out hustle.

Sounds about right to me. I think he'll probably get about 15 minutes a game, leaving 35 for Triche and 30 for MCW. If we're lucky, we'll get 40+% shooting from 3, averaging 20-25 minutes and 10-12 pts a game. That seems possible but a bit optimistic to me. Your 7 points a game guess seems most likely.

I expect him to be my new favorite player for the next 4 years.

I'll be thrilled if he averages more than 5 a game.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sounds about right to me. I think he'll probably get about 15 minutes a game, leaving 35 for Triche and 30 for MCW. If we're lucky, we'll get 40+% shooting from 3, averaging 20-25 minutes and 10-12 pts a game. That seems possible but a bit optimistic to me. Your 7 points a game guess seems most likely.

If he gets those numbers then we're going to have a ton of "why isn't Cooney playing more?" threads

SU only has three guards next year. cooney must get some PT, even if only to give triche or carter-williams a breather. but if he shoots well, he'll get some chances to perform.

If we're lucky, we'll get 40+% shooting from 3, averaging 20-25 minutes and 10-12 pts a game. That seems possible but a bit optimistic to me.

Hell, we haven't even gotten that out of Triche through his first 3 years. Why would we even remotely expect it out of a young kid playing his first Big East action? Getting 12 pts per game out of him wouldn't just be lucky, it would be hitting-the-megamillions-lucky.

It's hard to see him getting less than 8 MPG right now. Seems like Triche is either nicked up or plays only so-so about 70% of the time, and Cooney's the only other option at shooting guard. Boeheim doesn't have the depth in the backcourt that he had in the frontcourt that allowed him to have such a quick hook on Rakeem and Fab in previous years.

Hell, we haven't even gotten that out of Triche through his first 3 years. Why would we even remotely expect it out of a young kid playing his first Big East action? Getting 12 pts per game out of him wouldn't just be lucky, it would be hitting-the-megamillions-lucky.
Cooney will be better than bt imo.

I predict he will be JB's short leash guy this year. One mistake, back to the bench.
Funny, cause I would pick him as the last player to fill that role. He accepted his red shirt with class, supposedly busted his ass in practice, impressed the coaches, said all the right things, and kept his mouth shut the rest of the time. I think that goes a long way with JB, and he repays that kind of character.

Ultimately I think it will come down to defense, turnovers, and 3-pt% for Cooney's PT. He needs to be the 3-pt threat the team desperately needs & expects, while not being a liability.

I think he will avg 10-15 min, shoot 41% from deep, but be held to ~5-7ppg because he will struggle to create in a relatively open-ended offensive scheme. Also I expect the usual positional mistakes on defense to keep his minutes down. But he will shine against teams that try to slow down the game, perhaps by playing zone and emphasizing ball security... that's what he will counter against if he can make his open shots.

Cause TC is a much better shooter than BT. Also, SU is way, way, way overdue to get someone out of HS who actually lives up to his reputation in his first season.

I think he'll be better-than-expected in many ways----minutes, points, treys, assists, and the non-statistical "court IQ." Yeah, I know, that last one is another stereotypical thing to say, but from what I watched of him on youtube and from the few comments I've read about his practices, that's the feeling I get.

I would like him to be able to give 15-20 minutes out of the 80 minutes available at the two guard spots. That means BT and MCW will be eating up about 30 minutes each. Anything more than 30 minutes a game for those two and I would get worried.

I would like him to hit 40% of this threes. His his FTs at 80% when he gets to the line. Grab some boards for a guard and have quick hands like Andy at the top of the zone.

I think he'll be better-than-expected in many ways----minutes, points, treys, assists, and the non-statistical "court IQ." Yeah, I know, that last one is another stereotypical thing to say, but from what I watched of him on youtube and from the few comments I've read about his practices, that's the feeling I get.

I've learned over the last few years to stop believing the hype on these kids. Fab wasn't close to the savior he was made out to be when he was being recruited. No one really knows how effective these kids will be when they face the teeth of a BE season. It's just impossible to predict. I'd love to see it, but people here seem to be giving this kid some really high expectations. Along the line of Wes when he came in. Let's not forget Wes, in addition to being physically gifted, actually played in some meaningful college games before he came to SU.

But if those things you are saying come true, then good for us and SU.

I've learned over the last few years to stop believing the hype on these kids. Fab wasn't close to the savior he was made out to be when he was being recruited. No one really knows how effective these kids will be when they face the teeth of a BE season. It's just impossible to predict. I'd love to see it, but people here seem to be giving this kid some really high expectations. Along the line of Wes when he came in. Let's not forget Wes, in addition to being physically gifted, actually played in some meaningful college games before he came to SU.

But if those things you are saying come true, then good for us and SU.

i'm saving my wes-like expectations for ben-uh-jay.

Gmac buried 5 threes in the first half of a nation championship game as a fresh and put up 40 plus as a soph against BYU.
Look back to devendorfs second year.
Have alittle faith.

Look heres the facts. Cooney is a bullseye shooter in the likes of Gerry probably more so then Rautins senior year in terms of confidence. Triche was never a bullseye shooter from outside, neither in high school or college.

If anything will give Cooney a short leash I think it will be his defense or forcing things(which he won't have to do this year). DC2 at center, Grant, and Rak at PF will have the quickest leashes I think. DC is a freshmen and has a long way to go with Rebounding athleticism and recovery defense on the baseline which has historically been a nightmare for young centers in the 2-3. Rak has a ways to go to prove hes ready for pf. And unless he brings Pf warrior mentality rebounding or the offense to outweigh his defensive efficiencies at the 4 he will get a quick pull at PF here and there.. Grant hes a freshmen its tough to tell and has two expeirenced SF/PF guys who have done it for 2 years at cuse. Which is ok because top talent will shine at cuse someday reguardless.

You only really need 4 guys in the backline of the zone and three up top. That being said we have 6 in the backline so the backline will get the leash unless one of our three combo forwards moves to some two guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom