Cooney expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney expectations

Just wondering what you guys are expecting from him stat wise. I'm expecting 7 ppg, avg 2 threes made per game, 2 assists. And balls out hustle.
I expect 15-20 minutes, 40%+ from 3, 9 ppg. I'm thinking along the lines of a junior year Andy. Fact is he brings a skillset that this team will need with his shooting ability. There's been a lot of hyperbole thrown around but when Gerry Mac says someone is the best shooter SU has ever had I tend to believe him. I hope he's athletic enough to be adequate defensively. If he is he will be hard to keep off the court. I think JB will give him all the leash he needs. He's earned it with the class he showed during his redshirt year.

he hit 6 in the first half, second half , i forgot.

None in the second half ... 0 points after halftime after banging his hand on that scores table right before half.

Dont get me wrong, I do like Triche and think he is a good fundamental player but can somebody tell me why he is getting so much love on this post? The kid lacks confidence and emotion among other things. He is not the strongest defender and rarely does he look for his own shot (not a creator). We have yet to see Cooney play in a regular season game, but all I hear and watched on highlights are good things. I think he will be much like Gerry was his freshman year. Cooney is close if not as good of a shooter, taller, and has already practiced with a top 5 team all year compared to Gerry who played right out of HS. Will he be as good as BT next year, maybe, maybe not but the kid can shoot it and stretch the D. He will be getting at least 20 min a game. There is 80 min for 3 people (pg, sg).

Do we have a definitive read on Mookie being back on the team? If so, then I assume that JB will have him slotted at SG and that could impact Cooney's minutes. Without Mook, then Cooney will be allowed to play through some defensive lapses. If Mookie is on the team, I don't see why he wouldn't get some minutes if Cooney is struggling. Either way, we'd have a shooter out there.

18 points in the 1st half of the NC in a win over UCLA

Dont get me wrong, I do like Triche and think he is a good fundamental player but can somebody tell me why he is getting so much love on this post? The kid lacks confidence and emotion among other things. He is not the strongest defender and rarely does he look for his own shot (not a creator). We have yet to see Cooney play in a regular season game, but all I hear and watched on highlights are good things. I think he will be much like Gerry was his freshman year. Cooney is close if not as good of a shooter, taller, and has already practiced with a top 5 team all year compared to Gerry who played right out of HS. Will he be as good as BT next year, maybe, maybe not but the kid can shoot it and stretch the D. He will be getting at least 20 min a game. There is 80 min for 3 people (pg, sg).
Frankly, I don't see all the love for Triche in this thread that you see. Many of the posts, including yours, are quite dismissive of his abilities. If I hadn't watched this kid for three years and just read through this thread, I might believe he was a marginal talent just taking up space on the floor until a better option was available. That's clearly not the case however, and hasn't been the case since he arrived on campus.

You and I must be watching different games, because Triche has consistently been the strongest and most fundamentally sound defender in the SU backcourt the past two seasons. And your assertion that he lacks emotion is pretty common among certain posters on this board. The last I knew however, you don't receive extra points for "emotion," so unless that changes I'm not sure why it matters.

The idea that Cooney will be a taller, stronger and better version of GMac from day one, or that he will immediately be better than Triche and steal his minutes is ludicrous. He will no doubt be a solid third guard and play regular minutes, but in games against better opponents, expect to see both Triche and MCW logging 30-35 minutes a night, if not more.

Cause TC is a much better shooter than BT. Also, SU is way, way, way overdue to get someone out of HS who actually lives up to his reputation in his first season.
Come on. The kid hasn't played in a game yet and he's a better shooter than Triche? Ugh.

Everyone always overstates what they think and then gets disappointed when the kid isn't amazing.

Frankly, I don't see all the love for Triche in this thread that you see. Many of the posts, including yours, are quite dismissive of his abilities. If I hadn't watched this kid for three years and just read through this thread, I might believe he was a marginal talent just taking up space on the floor until a better option was available. That's clearly not the case however, and hasn't been the case since he arrived on campus.

You and I must be watching different games, because Triche has consistently been the strongest and most fundamentally sound defender in the SU backcourt the past two seasons. And your assertion that he lacks emotion is pretty common among certain posters on this board. The last I knew however, you don't receive extra points for "emotion," so unless that changes I'm not sure why it matters.

The idea that Cooney will be a taller, stronger and better version of GMac from day one, or that he will immediately be better than Triche and steal his minutes is ludicrous. He will no doubt be a solid third guard and play regular minutes, but in games against better opponents, expect to see both Triche and MCW logging 30-35 minutes a night, if not more.

You dont know that. People said that last year about dion and he took minutes away from the more experienced in the system guys. The only thing thats ludicrus is you stating that as a fact, a given, already determined, when in fact cooney could blow up next year and get drafted as well as mcw.

TC will get minutes, no way around it. He'll get them when Triche has to spell MCW at the point, and he'll get them when (if) Triche goes into a funk, and he'll get them just because he needs the time to develop. He won't be out of shape, and he won't be "Meloed" or "Rakked" as a pseudo-starter to be benched for his first mistake. Really, the only two factors impacting TC's playing time are the Second Coming of Mookie and the "Good Triche/Bad Triche" scenario. I'm betting Good Triche predominates, but TC will still get a healthy share of minutes, and will occasionally cause us to reflect on the Best of GMAC Show we used to watch back in the day.-VBOF

You dont know that. People said that last year about dion and he took minutes away from the more experienced in the system guys. The only thing thats ludicrus is you stating that as a fact, a given, already determined, when in fact cooney could blow up next year and get drafted as well as mcw.

The probability that Cooney blows up in his redshirt freshman year and gets drafted in 2013 is about the same as the probability that you'll suddenly start rooting for the team and not simply for and against individual players.

Your ig
The probability that Cooney blows up in his redshirt freshman year and gets drafted in 2013 is about the same as the probability that you'll suddenly start rooting for the team and not simply for and against individual players.
Your ignorance outweighs your basketball knowledge. I was a big fan of dion because i seen his potential 4 years ago and i knew if he worked hard hed be in the nba. I call it like i see it, i show love and tough love .

Your ig
Your ignorance outweighs your basketball knowledge. I was a big fan of dion because i seen his potential 4 years ago and i knew if he worked hard hed be in the nba. I call it like i see it, i show love and tough love .
My ignorance? A little touchy tonight, huh? You continue to amuse.

My ignorance? A little touchy tonight, huh? You continue to amuse.
Yes fits you quite well. You continue to disappoint, but that would mean i had some kind of expectations for you : )

Come on. The kid hasn't played in a game yet and he's a better shooter than Triche? Ugh.

Everyone always overstates what they think and then gets disappointed when the kid isn't amazing.

TC is known as a great shooter because he proved it in HS. BT was not known to be a shooter in HS, and has never shown himself to be anything better than a little above average in college. I'd gladly bet money that TC will be a better shooter next season - easy money in my mind. BTW, I didn't say that TC will be amazing: that is your attempt to try to make your statement sound more convincing. But I will say that TC has the potential to be amazing, starting this season - we will see.

Apparently you didn't understand the second part of my post, but I will just say that I'm not everyone.

JB and the staff have had hundreds of hours watching TC play. They know what he gives them and what he needs to work on.
He has had to protect the ball against 4 top D1 guards in practice and he has had to create his offense against theses big, strong, and quick players. If Gerry says he is a really good shooter and Andy agrees then I think we should expect this to translate into league play.
At this stage in his career his is bigger, taller, stronger and faster with the ball than Andy was in his last year. Quickness is a question at this point. He is smart on the court and in the classroom. He can control his emotions under pressure and is a liked and respected team mate.
I mean -- what is not to like?

TC is known as a great shooter because he proved it in HS. BT was not known to be a shooter in HS, and has never shown himself to be anything better than a little above average in college. I'd gladly bet money that TC will be a better shooter next season - easy money in my mind. BTW, I didn't say that TC will be amazing: that is your attempt to try to make your statement sound more convincing. But I will say that TC has the potential to be amazing, starting this season - we will see.

Apparently you didn't understand the second part of my post, but I will just say that I'm not everyone.
Proving something in high school doesn't mean it translates to college. Especially not in the talent-rich Delaware school system (read: sarcasm). I want Cooney to do well, He's been good in practice from what I heard, but to call him a better shooter than Triche at this stage is premature. Triche shot 43% (35 from 3) last year, and I'd be very happy if Cooney could replicate that.

We heard all through his recruitment how good of a shooter MCW was, and he struggled for a while last year, especially from 3. It takes getting used to the pace of the game, shooting over players that are actually your size (something that wasn't the case for Cooney in HS), and managing that as well as defense and offense responsibilities.

I think Triche will be one of our best assets next year. Cooney will be getting 15 minutes a game. I'm a huge fan of what I've seen from his highlights. But we have to take them for what they are. High school highlights.

/rant

JB and the staff have had hundreds of hours watching TC play. They know what he gives them and what he needs to work on.
He has had to protect the ball against 4 top D1 guards in practice and he has had to create his offense against theses big, strong, and quick players. If Gerry says he is a really good shooter and Andy agrees then I think we should expect this to translate into league play.
At this stage in his career his is bigger, taller, stronger and faster with the ball than Andy was in his last year. Quickness is a question at this point. He is smart on the court and in the classroom. He can control his emotions under pressure and is a liked and respected team mate.
I mean -- what is not to like?

Insert cliche white stereotypes here.

The kid is quicker than Andy is, much more athletic. No idea how he is in the classroom or as a teammate but I just wanted to harp on that statement. :D

Harp away. If that's how it reads -- my bad.
We just need to see him move against tough pressure in a high quality game.

GMAC is a darn good authority on Cooney's ability to shoot.
If you ever watch the early pre-game warm-ups (arriving an hour before game time), you can see what GMAC means. Cooney has quick elevation and perfect form. He is, by far, our most accurate jump shooter (in practice). He is athletic and tall enough to be useful in our zone. Can he go for 20 minutes per game, 8 pts average? Yes.

What's the record for 3's made in a year?

Double that.
Hard to do when he'll probably get no more than half the number of minutes played than the whom ever set the record. Last year JB pretty much even split palying time amoung 3 EXPERIENCED guards. No way does he give an untried player the same # of miutes that his experienced guards get. Look for 20 minutes tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom