Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

anomander

Living Legend
Should be thankful he is the only other guard on the team besides Triche and MCW. Kid looks completely over matched . If a shooter can't shoot what good is he? Too early to worry about him? My concern is what happens if Triche or MCW were too......get injured (knock on wood)

Cooney is on the floor for defense at the moment, and he is very good at it.

he is a RS Frosh on a loaded team

his play has concerned me to a point

we dont need him this year

I have faith and trust the staff he will be ready in the future

Should be thankful he is the only other guard on the team besides Triche and MCW. Kid looks completely over matched . If a shooter can't shoot what good is he? Too early to worry about him? My concern is what happens if Triche or MCW were too......get injured (knock on wood)

He's looked really poor offensively--certainly no argument there--but I disagree about the overmatched part. He is active / disruptive defensively [more than I certainly expected him to be], and he is a better ball handler than I anticipated.

Would definitely be nice to see him knock down a few shots just to get the lid off of the basket, but I think he'll prove to be a valuable contributor this year. Out of necessity, because he is going to have to play.

I think this is way off base. WAY off base. Cooney made some mistakes tonight, sure. But he also made some positive plays. He was the 2nd leading assist guy tonight. He got thrown into a very hostile environment against famously aggressive full court pressure, and had to play big minutes when MCW and Triche both had foul trouble. Especially the run of 10 minutes in the first half when MCW was benched with 2 fouls - he was steady. We went on a big run during that stretch.

Cooney was not a star out there, but he didn't hurt the team and he did exactly what was needed: provide depth and maintain the lead.

hoffman,lydacaine and hart all scholies .and none will matter in march. shouldda brought in a JUCO.

but we do need him this year. he is the only other guard on the team. at least he can play defense because for a shooter his shot looks like it has no chance to go in. have heard he has been an inconsistent shooter since the day he stepped on campus. was really hoping for a little more. he is a real concern at this point. must get him going to be at least a threat in the rest of these non-conf games

he is a red shirt freshman. huge difference. he should have adjusted to speed of game.

Cooney is on the floor for defense at the moment, and he is very good at it.

Don't kid yourself. He was on the floor for three reasons tonight (i) 4 fouls on MCW, (ii) 4 fouls on Triche and (iii) the pace of the game dictated that MCW and Triche needed the occasional rest.

He's looked really poor offensively--certainly no argument there--but I disagree about the overmatched part. He is active / disruptive defensively [more than I certainly expected him to be], and he is a better ball handler than I anticipated.

Would definitely be nice to see him knock down a few shots just to get the lid off of the basket, but I think he'll prove to be a valuable contributor this year. Out of necessity, because he is going to have to play.

Agree with this completely. And, in fairness 2 of his 5 games were in circumstances that were not exactly ideal to getting your sea legs. Playing outdoors on a carrier in a brisk wind and at Arkansas in an extremely fast paced pressing game.

I think DCII and he are in much the same place, but DCII has gotten a little bit more run.

Don't kid yourself. He was on the floor for three reasons tonight (i) 4 fouls on MCW, (ii) 4 fouls on Triche and (iii) the pace of the game dictated that MCW and Triche needed the occasional rest.

And he filled that role perfectly. Do you guys expect a combo Andy Rautins / Dion Waiters to be in the #10 uniform?

He has yet to find his rhythm and confidence I hope he finds them both soon. I have no doubt he will be a good player eventually but hopefully he figures out how to be a decent player this year or we could be in trouble.

3 messages. Hopefully you will get better. The kid has played a grand total of 5 games. He is pressing. He will be fine.

Correct, he will be fine. He doesn't have to score to contribute either- he has the intangibles. Doubt he'll get minutes in key situations but he'll be an asset this year and a stud next.

This next stretch of games will be big for him.

Correct, he will be fine. He doesn't have to score to contribute either- he has the intangibles. Doubt he'll get minutes in key situations but he'll be an asset this year and a stud next.
stud? he won't see light of day once Mike Gbinije, Ennis, and Ron Patterson arrive. There is a difference seeing how DC will be fine once the game slow down for him, but for a red shirt freshman too look so over matched you have to be concerned. It wouldn't matter if he wasn't the 3rd and only other guard on the team. unfortunately he is, and he will be counted on at times this year.

I worry a little about something someone said that had seen the team scrimmage a lot. Cooney was deadly in shooting drills but his shot seems to change when actually playing. Glad JB has to kind of force feed him. I think he eventually gets it together shooting wise. He's busting his butt in other ways.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I worry a little about something someone said that had seen the team scrimmage a lot. Cooney was deadly in shooting drills but his shot seems to change when actually playing. Glad JB has to kind of force feed him. I think he eventually gets it together shooting wise. He's busting his butt in other ways.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
part of my concern is from what i have heard about his shooting in practices compared to drills, and now seeing his shot live i can see why.

This next stretch of games will be big for him.
Yes. Let's hope the lid comes off for him a bit and his confidence comes around between now and conference play.

stud? he won't see light of day once Mike Gbinije, Ennis, and Ron Patterson arrive. There is a difference seeing how DC will be fine once the game slow down for him, but for a red shirt freshman too look so over matched you have to be concerned. It wouldn't matter if he wasn't the 3rd and only other guard on the team. unfortunately he is, and he will be counted on at times this year.
He'll get big minutes next year- he can shoot- despite what he's done so far. He does the small stuff. He plays D. We don't know if the new guys will adapt that quickly- not many frosh do for JB. Plus, he's the lone returning guard0- JB likes experience.

He's fine. As active as anyone on the defensive end, made some good passes. Made a decisive move to the rim and got robbed on that charge call (Arkansas player was under the hoop). The shooting will come around.

Too bad the Syracuse stink has already gotten to his free-throw shooting, though. That didn't take long.