Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

i have heard the exact opposite regarding cooney's shot in practice. heard he is not a good shooter at all in game situations.

So you're telling me that you've heard that Cooney is not a spot up shooter in Practice?

The first 4 games weren't real? it's a forum, what the hell else is there to talk about? if you expect everybody to have the same opinion then you are at the wrong place. i wasn't attacking anyone on the forum, i am simply trying to get a feel for what everyone else thinks.
Nah, you posted similar negative bs about Christmas and Coleman below.

These are college kids performing at various levels of development based primarily on experience. Maybe you expect perfection. TC, RC and DC will be fine by the time the BE rolls around. In the meantime, there is no need to attack players...period.

These are college kids performing at various levels of development based primarily on experience. Maybe you expect perfection. TC, RC and DC will be fine by the time the BE rolls around. In the meantime, there is no need to attack players...period.
? I like what i have seen from DC, and Rak. I have said nothing negative at all. If anything I have been positive about DC?

i have heard the exact opposite regarding cooney's shot in practice. heard he is not a good shooter at all in game situations.

Did you hear that from someone on a certain forum after the last game?

Here is my one negative DC post i guess...i like the way he responded after his benching. he came out aggressive. once the game slows down for him i feel he will be a factor this season. at very worst he will be a solid rebounder

Did you hear that from someone on a certain forum after the last game?
no heard it before season..just like RMH , from a reliable source.

He made bad decisions. That long pass, the shot at the end of the half when we should have held it, and that awful charge. He's playing defense better than we thought he would.

He's not shooting well. And he almost pooped himself when he was open for a lay up on the break, dribbling off his leg. Kid looks nervous and is pressing. He'll be ok. Just needs to get his feet wet, hit a couple 3's. He ain't Gmac. But that's ok. He's gonna be fine.

no heard it before season..just like RMH , from a reliable source.
I think I'd take GMac's or JB's word over either of our sources! TC will be fine once he learns to relax. The kid sat and watched last year. Once he learns to play with intensity without being tense, he'll be a very good player.

He made bad decisions. That long pass, the shot at the end of the half when we should have held it, and that awful charge. He's playing defense better than we thought he would.

He's not shooting well. And he almost pooped himself when he was open for a lay up on the break, dribbling off his leg. Kid looks nervous and is pressing. He'll be ok. Just needs to get his feet wet, hit a couple 3's. He ain't Gmac. But that's ok. He's gonna be fine.
ya the gmac comparisons kill me. ya they are both white irish kids. comparison stops there. unfortunately the kid will probably have to deal with that for the next 4 years. i would be happy with a Marius Janilus, but looks more like a scott mccorkle

I really don't even see him as this great defender that everyone is talking about... yea he had his 6 steal game or whatever, and a little block from behind tonight, but he is just slow and can't move like the other guys... he's trying, I'll give him that, but more open shots and penetration come when he's out there... ball goes from one side to the other, it takes him a while to catch up... we are being overly optomisitc with his defense...
I really don't think he'll contribute anything on offense all year as well.. If we're in foul trouble up top, James or CJ at the 2 100%. I'd rather get Grant some of Trev's time(in the back of the zone obviously, but bumping JS or Cj up top).
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Trevor do well, but don't think he deserves more than a few minutes in real games.

I think Cooney is playing just fine for only playing in the first few real games at SU. His shot isn't falling right now and he doesn't look all that comfortable out there on offense but he is trying to make plays and as long as he keeps looking for his shot things will open up for him. His defense I think is very solid. I understand that forums are for this sort of thing but give the kid sometime to try and get his groove.

I really don't even see him as this great defender that everyone is talking about... yea he had his 6 steal game or whatever, and a little block from behind tonight, but he is just slow and can't move like the other guys... he's trying, I'll give him that, but more open shots and penetration come when he's out there... ball goes from one side to the other, it takes him a while to catch up... we are being overly optomisitc with his defense...
I really don't think he'll contribute anything on offense all year as well.. If we're in foul trouble up top, James or CJ at the 2 100%. I'd rather get Grant some of Trev's time(in the back of the zone obviously, but bumping JS or Cj up top).
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Trevor do well, but don't think he deserves more than a few minutes in real games.

I wasn't even refering to him getting those steals. He is active always moving with his hands up and I have seen tip a lot of passes. We don't always end up with the ball but I think he plays solid defense

I wasn't even refering to him getting those steals. He is active always moving with his hands up and I have seen tip a lot of passes. We don't always end up with the ball but I think he plays solid defense
wasn't referring to your posts man, just my own opinion based on what i saw quickly looking over the thread

wasn't referring to your posts man, just my own opinion based on what i saw quickly looking over the thread

I take no offense. It's a forum to express opinions. I just happen to think he isn't as bad as some on this thread. I don't think he is as good as Andy as a Sr but if he improves like Andy I couldn't be happier. There is a lot of time and oppertunity for this kid to grow and be a very good player.

Right now, the bottom line is, he's playing defense well. He'll get playing time and not be a liability because of it. If his defense takes a turn for the worse, while his offense remains poor, then we can talk about being worried about his playing time.

He's looked really poor offensively--certainly no argument there--but I disagree about the overmatched part. He is active / disruptive defensively [more than I certainly expected him to be], and he is a better ball handler than I anticipated.

Would definitely be nice to see him knock down a few shots just to get the lid off of the basket, but I think he'll prove to be a valuable contributor this year. Out of necessity, because he is going to have to play.
Keep playing him. Easy stretch of games coming up. Tell him to keep shooting. He'll be fine and will be valuable towards the end of this season.

I think he is fine. His defense is solid. He is in there to spell the other guards. Give some minutes to rest the other guards. He looks nervous but as he plays more his confidence will grow. He'll start knocking down shots.

This game will probably help him a bunch. Even though he didn't play well he did play on the road in a rowdy environment. I would expect in the next couple of games he will be much more at ease after that.

We are also probably a little spoiled with Waiters coming off the bench last year.

I don't admit that at all, nor do I agree with it. I just think he's struggling offensively right now. He's doing some other things well [mostly on defense]. He'll figure things out. Best of all, we don't "need" him to be a big offensive contributor this season [would be nice for him to provide some situational outside shooting, though].

Agreed...his defense has been solid. His offense will come around. He's too good of a shooter for it not to...

Don't need him this year? Are you out of your mind? We've never had less depth at the guard position in 30 years.We need him to figure it out IN A HURRY!

I'm guessing you don't remember the 07-08 team.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I believe he's suffering from a lack of confidence right now. He's advertised as a shooter and when the shots don't fall other things suffer as well. He's trying to fit in on a team that is highly rated and seems to be pressing it a bit. That's why I believe the JB is giving him more time than what his play is warranting. Once he gets over the anxiety bug he'll be OK cause I don't think his reputation could have been so off the mark. We've seen the anxiety bug effect our star QB who worked through it and excelled. Hopefully it doesn't take as long.

I completely disagree with your assessment. His defense has been great. He obviously learned a lot from the red shirt year. He helped out breaking the press and played well in the half court offense. His shots will start falling once he learns to relax. The kid is a player...give him a little time...

I completely disagree with your assessment. His defense has been great. He obviously learned a lot from the red shirt year. He helped out breaking the press and played well in the half court offense. His shots will start falling once he learns to relax. The kid is a player...give him a little time...
So you think he's a better defender than mcw, triche. JS/CJ? Because I'd rather have any of them up top defensively before Trevor. He needs another year. Give him tons of minutes in blowouts and brief stints in real games. Hell, MCW didn't get any time last year, why do we owe it to Trev?

So you think he's a better defender than mcw, triche. JS/CJ? Because I'd rather have any of them up top defensively before Trevor. He needs another year. Give him tons of minutes in blowouts and brief stints in real games. Hell, MCW didn't get any time last year, why do we owe it to Trev?

Mcw didn't get a lot of run because we had 3 solid guards. He was also a true freshman trying to crack our guard line up