Cooney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

He looks like he needs to start getting in a flow and stop thinking to much. I like his defensive effort a lot but his offense is a little off and he needs to work on his quickness and speed. Tonight there was a turnover and he was the only one back and the Arkansas player blew right by him.

he is a RS Frosh on a loaded team

his play has concerned me to a point

we dont need him this year

I have faith and trust the staff he will be ready in the future

Don't need him this year? Are you out of your mind? We've never had less depth at the guard position in 30 years.We need him to figure it out IN A HURRY!

I think the criticism of Cooney (5 games into the freaking season) is kinda funny. Thanks I needed a laugh. Carry on.

we dont need him

mcw
triche
fair
southerland

we have done more with less

You have to admit, he is looking really Div. 2 right now, & I am hoping it's just his nerves playing tricks on his game.

You would think JB wouldn't put him out there so much in a big game if he didn't know what this kid can do.

You have to admit, he is looking really Div. 2 right now, & I am hoping it's just his nerves playing tricks on his game.

You would think JB wouldn't put him out there so much in a big game if he didn't know what this kid can do.

I don't admit that at all, nor do I agree with it. I just think he's struggling offensively right now. He's doing some other things well [mostly on defense]. He'll figure things out. Best of all, we don't "need" him to be a big offensive contributor this season [would be nice for him to provide some situational outside shooting, though].

he has no other choice. with the pace of that game triche and mcw couldn't play 40, not to mention they both were in some foul trouble. if he wasn't a red shirt i wouldn't be so concerned, and would be more optimistic about the game slowing down for him.

The funny thing is, this is basically the same argument that surrounded James Southerland for the longest time. Look at him now. I think Cooney will find his shot, there will be ups and downs but I have no doubt he will get it going. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

The kid isn't shooting well. That's it. He's been more than fine in every other aspect of the game. Some of you are talking like he is overmatched and can't play at this level.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He's not getting clean looks. Partly because he's not finding the open spaces and partly because he's rushing marginal looks. One of the issues is that he and James want to occupy the same spot in the court. There's just odd spacing when the two of them are on the court.

If his shot was falling everything else would look a lot better. Hopefully the cupcake portion of the sched can be used to get him into a rythm.

Kid just needs to see some shots go in IMO. He plays good defense, but on offense he is pressing, still looks like he can do a bit more offensivelythan just shoot if he could just get his shot falling I think that the rest of his offensive game will open up because its designed off the threat of being a shooter.

He looks like he needs to start getting in a flow and stop thinking to much. I like his defensive effort a lot but his offense is a little off and he needs to work on his quickness and speed. Tonight there was a turnover and he was the only one back and the Arkansas player blew right by him.

This is my biggest concern he is slow of foot and it is not a conditioning thing he is not quick and he is not fast.

The Cooney comparison being potentially the equivalent of the white kid on Baylor who shoots 3's off the bench was actually a positive comment from Dykes.

The kid isn't shooting well. That's it. He's been more than fine in every other aspect of the game. Some of you are talking like he is overmatched and can't play at this level.

Agreed. He's fine in the zone and has god defensive aptitude. Just needs to see some shots fall.

This is my biggest concern he is slow of foot and it is not a conditioning thing he is not quick and he is not fast.

He's pretty good in the halfcourt. Active. You get him in a track meet or chasing BJ Young off a turnover then forget it. Cooney is going to be a good defender here...book it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Southerland play some off guard when MCW/Triche need a rest. On defense it wouldn't matter, and it's not like they run an offense. JSouth and Cooney are basically the same player. JB could probably steal some minutes with that in a pinch.

Should be thankful he is the only other guard on the team besides Triche and MCW. Kid looks completely over matched . If a shooter can't shoot what good is he? Too early to worry about him? My concern is what happens if Triche or MCW were too......get injured (knock on wood)
Great 12th post!

The kid is coming off a tonsillectomy (which is really bad for an adult, I lost 27 pounds) and just played in his first REAL college hoops game and you're calling him out?????? This board is unreadable because of posts like this. .

Cooney will be fine.

First big game, on the road. He was just pressing a bit. Had some mental errors-- that's what happens with young players.

I'd love to bring this thread back mid-season.

The funny thing is, this is basically the same argument that surrounded James Southerland for the longest time. Look at him now. I think Cooney will find his shot, there will be ups and downs but I have no doubt he will get it going. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I don't think the situations are comparable at all. Southerland was a mismatch physically from day one.

Great 12th post!

The kid is coming off a tonsillectomy (which is really bad for an adult, I lost 27 pounds) and just played in his first REAL college hoops game and you're calling him out?????? This board is unreadable because of posts like this. .
The first 4 games weren't real? it's a forum, what the hell else is there to talk about? if you expect everybody to have the same opinion then you are at the wrong place. i wasn't attacking anyone on the forum, i am simply trying to get a feel for what everyone else thinks.

He's pretty good in the halfcourt. Active. You get him in a track meet or chasing BJ Young off a turnover then forget it. Cooney is going to be a good defender here...book it.
He is good in the half court but teams will try and beat the zone down the court and as a guard he needs to prevent the transition basket first.

I don't think the situations are comparable at all. Southerland was a mismatch physically from day one.

Alright, well James still struggled a lot offensively up until just recently, but yet all we heard about was how deadly his shot was in practice etc. That's what I'm mainly alluding to. I'm not comparing the two athletically or physically. Just that one aspect.

Cooney, seems to me, is just pressing and not letting things come naturally. It's nerves and spotlights and you could tell the affect in his missed free throw. It's like breathing really. The things he's trying to do on the offensive end, in games, he's done countless times in practice without thinking about it at all. Now that all eyes are on him whenever he has the ball, he tightens up. We all breathe normally as long as we don't think about it. Start thinking about breathing and you'll mess up your rhythm within seconds. He’ll get there and when he does it will be like a flipped switch an there’ll be no looking back.

Alright, well James still struggled a lot offensively up until just recently, but yet all we heard about was how deadly his shot was in practice etc. That's what I'm mainly alluding to. I'm not comparing the two athletically or physically. Just that one aspect.
i have heard the exact opposite regarding cooney's shot in practice. heard he is not a good shooter at all in game situations.