Cooney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

So you think he's a better defender than mcw, triche. JS/CJ? Because I'd rather have any of them up top defensively before Trevor. He needs another year. Give him tons of minutes in blowouts and brief stints in real games. Hell, MCW didn't get any time last year, why do we owe it to Trev?
MCWwas behind Scoop, Triche and Waiters last year. Not the same situation at all

at this point i think that when you look up at the scoreboard and see triche , mcw and james all with 4 fouls in a tight game then yes there is a real reason for concern. it can happen and it did happen just 5 games in.

Going to bookmark this puppy. It's going to provide some light hearted reading in late February.

hoffman,lydacaine and hart all scholies .and none will matter in march. shouldda brought in a JUCO.
Right. Which one of our 5 freshman-to-be would you give up for a JUCO. Cooney will be fine,and will help win a game or two this year.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

he is a red shirt freshman. huge difference. he should have adjusted to speed of game.

And how long did it take southerland and rautins to adjust? And southerland did a year of prep the kid is probably 25 years old by now.

Cooney looked by and large fine. It's obvious he's not really ready yet but JB has to force feed him minutes to get him ready because he's going to be needed later in the season.

I think Cooney has looked surprisingly good defensively. The offense has a lot of room for improvement. I think some of the problems can be attributed to nerves and feeling out his role. I also feel that because of the surgery and the new role we will see improvement this year.

I also think Cooney will be the scapegoat this year. He is the man JB will make points through. For instance, against SDSU it was Sutherland who had the ball stolen from him with a breakaway the other way. Cooney did foul the guy on the other end, but it was really JS's mistake that started the whole thing. Cooney hits the pine, and everyone takes care of the ball from there on out.

Against Ark it was a track meet and Cooney had a one on one. Made a decision to attack and got called for the charge. Got a seat on the bench. I don't think anything more needed to be said, the whole team then realized it was under 4 min w a 10 pt lead. We then saw BT burn 20+ seconds off the clock with every possession from there on out. For some reason it will give me a certain amount of pride the next time in this situation when Cooney has the ball motoring on in there and then turns around and pulls the ball out. I think you would have to have Georgetown blood in you, if you don't give that a fist pump.

I am rooting hard for this kid. The whole earn your stripes thing. Watching a program kid develop before your eyes takes a certain amount of patience. The kid is going to be here forever, let's not kill him 5 games in. You have to be kidding me with this rent a JUCO bit. Get out of town with that (go to Marquette, see how that works out for you). Let's not forget this kid did a healthy RS for the program. How he is not a fan favorite is beyond me.

I think Cooney has looked surprisingly good defensively. The offense has a lot of room for improvement. I think some of the problems can be attributed to nerves and feeling out his role. I also feel that because of the surgery and the new role we will see improvement this year.

I also think Cooney will be the scapegoat this year. He is the man JB will make points through. For instance, against SDSU it was Sutherland who had the ball stolen from him with a breakaway the other way. Cooney did foul the guy on the other end, but it was really JS's mistake that started the whole thing. Cooney hits the pine, and everyone takes care of the ball from there on out.

Against Ark it was a track meet and Cooney had a one on one. Made a decision to attack and got called for the charge. Got a seat on the bench. I don't think anything more needed to be said, the whole team then realized it was under 4 min w a 10 pt lead. We then saw BT burn 20+ seconds off the clock with every possession from there on out. For some reason it will give me a certain amount of pride the next time in this situation when Cooney has the ball motoring on in there and then turns around and pulls the ball out. I think you would have to have Georgetown blood in you, if you don't give that a fist pump.

I am rooting hard for this kid. The whole earn your stripes thing. Watching a program kid develop before your eyes takes a certain amount of patience. The kid is going to be here forever, let's not kill him 5 games in. You have to be kidding me with this rent a JUCO bit. Get out of town with that (go to Marquette, see how that works out for you). Let's not forget this kid did a healthy RS for the program. How he is not a fan favorite is beyond me.

And how long did it take southerland and rautins to adjust? And southerland did a year of prep the kid is probably 25 years old by now.

Cooney looked by and large fine. It's obvious he's not really ready yet but JB has to force feed him minutes to get him ready because he's going to be needed later in the season.

James is 22, Cooney is 20. If Cooney was 6'-8" there would be no need for concern but at 6'-4" it's a different game. His window for getting his shot off is much smaller.

Good post. I think the criticism he is getting on this board and elsewhere is a function of the unreasonably high expectations many had for him. Hell, there were otherwise sane posters who believed he would play like an upperclassman Rautins or Triche from day one. All of this was predictable.

Good post. I think the criticism he is getting on this board and elsewhere is a function of the unreasonably high expectations many had for him. Hell, there were otherwise sane posters who believed he would play like an upperclassman Rautins or Triche from day one. All of this was predictable.
I thin much of the criticism of Cooney is based on a solid foundation of lack of understanding of basketball.

You have to admit, he is looking really Div. 2 right now, & I am hoping it's just his nerves playing tricks on his game.

You would think JB wouldn't put him out there so much in a big game if he didn't know what this kid can do.
There was a stretch last year when CJ couldn't hit an eight ft. jumper to save his life. Nobody was saying that he looked Div.2. Trevor is going to be fine and it's only a matter of time. The fact that JB continues to give him considerable playing time tells me all I need to know.

stud? he won't see light of day once Mike Gbinije, Ennis, and Ron Patterson arrive. There is a difference seeing how DC will be fine once the game slow down for him, but for a red shirt freshman too look so over matched you have to be concerned. It wouldn't matter if he wasn't the 3rd and only other guard on the team. unfortunately he is, and he will be counted on at times this year.
I've see Patterson play. Cooney would get more minutes than him at this point. Cooney is a better ballhandler and defender. Cooney needs to start making shots.

Fantastic Post! Best post of the thread!

he has been practicing against a totally different kind of D and tempe, its gonna take a while when you havent really played a game in over a year. taking good shots it all it takes.

I've see Patterson play. Cooney would get more minutes than him at this point. Cooney is a better ballhandler and defender. Cooney needs to start making shots.

you lost all credibility with that statement considering Patterson is a potential lockdown defender with a huge wingspan. Cooney is solid on defense and appears to have quick hands but at least on the defensive side of things Patterson is a game changer. Cooney should be well ahead of Patterson though on offense once he gets more comfortable out there.