Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

anomander

Living Legend
Don't let the blank box score fool you. He is still having a major effect on this game. I haven't seen the driving lanes open this much all season. With Lavin deciding not to give help off of Cooney it is allowing Ennis to go to the hoop basically at will. It looks like we picked up on this half way through the 1st half. If Lavin stays with this Ennis may end up with a monster game. This reflects this stat line of 15 points and only 1 assist. Watch for this in the 2nd half

Yep. And all 3 of his 3,s, especially the first two, looked money to me. They aren't gonna give Cooney an inch but it's at the cost of not playing much help defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

0 points. SJU too athletic for old coon dog. If he was having such an impact why did he sit most of the 2nd half ? Nice plan by Lavin

I admit he has played well up until now, but he was horrible today. He quit moving in the 2nd half.

Yep. And all 3 of his 3,s, especially the first two, looked money to me. They aren't gonna give Cooney an inch but it's at the cost of not playing much help defense.

I thought all three of them were going down as well. He moved well without the ball, Harrison was on him tight though. Gbinje as well, but G did a good job grabbing some boards - nice game by G.

I agree with both here. St. Johns wasn't even helping off of him and at times that opened up driving lanes for Cuse. But Cooney did seem to stop moving and was standing around for a stretch...and I think playing Gbinije down the stretch was the right move. His D and rebounds were big.

I agree that in spite of Trevor not scoring he impacted the game. Ithaca, you should take note that we built a 13 point lead in the 1st half when Trevor was in the game. It was when Cooney was out of the game that the Johnnycakes staged their comeback.

Syracuse finding a way to win when Cooney is not scoring is a good thing which helps develop the team for a wide array of contingencies which we will encounter moving forward.

It just seems like there are still people who call themselves Syracuse fans that somehow want Cooney not to succeed. Get with the program and cheer the kid on... he bleeds Orange in case ya haven't noticed!

0 points. SJU too athletic for old coon dog. If he was having such an impact why did he sit most of the 2nd half ? Nice plan by Lavin

I admit he has played well up until now, but he was horrible today. He quit moving in the 2nd half.
It was like his legs went out from him after that last big shot Harrison made. Gbinije came in and played great, pretty much shut Harrison down. Almost looked like a box and one for brief instances. Harrison was wasting Ennis too early on.

not trevors day. big donuts for him and gbinje. t ennis with the only backcourt pts.

I didn't wake up until halftime. It was weird to see the team playing mostly without Cooney. His backcourt mate was stellar.

Well, he didn't sit most of the 2nd half. Also, he didn't force any shots. They were there, but would have been contested 3's. We got what we did inside, because of TC in large part. When he was out, CJ had to take the jumpers.

he needed to put the ball on the floor and go by his man. He was just floating around the arc. He is capable of doing much more than just being a deep threat decoy.

Everyone who loves Cooney when he does very well needs to remember that when he doesn't as much. I thought he tried to get open in 2nd half, but STJ just played him close. It happens. Don't scrutinize a player too much for one game. It's a team out there. Good to see Cuse picking up for each other.

Gbinje is going to be huge for this team down the stretch. Cooney has been great, so the fact he can play this poorly and we still win a tough one is only going to help this team as the season progresses.
Cooney did not play poorly. If you want to judge good play by scoring alone, you're just wrong. Harrison was on him so tight it was like Trevor had another shirt on. Cooney played good defense, handled the ball well and helped open the lane. If that's poor play, we need more players like him.

It's a growth process. We were lucky to see a glimpse of the future earlier when we got the good Cooney. But today is more in line with what a lot of us expected. The better than GMac statements should be put on hold for a while.

For the growth process to continue we need to see Cooney perform while away. He was around 30% in Canada. And Maui doesn't count.

I, along with others, thought going into this season that sg was the position in most need for improvement. The good news is we can still win while this position improves.

It's a growth process. We were lucky to see a glimpse of the future earlier when we got the good Cooney. But today is more in line with what a lot of us expected. The better than GMac statements should be put on hold for a while.

For the growth process to continue we need to see Cooney perform while away. He was around 30% in Canada. And Maui doesn't count.

I, along with others, thought going into this season that sg was the position in most need for improvement. The good news is we can still win while this position improves.
One game this year where Trevor doesn't burn the nets and we need improvement at sg. :noidea:

You can tell the posters who root for players and not the team because they are now tooting their own horns saying see Cooney isn't that good because of one game. I knew there were posters who didn't want to see Cooney succeed and this thread already begins to prove that.

If this is sarcasm I apologize, but it seems like you are actively happy that a guy who has been great all year ad a bad game. Again, if this is sarcasm I'm sorry but if not I really don't understand this post.

I wondered in another thread whether Cooney was sick today. SJU did a good job of keeping someone on him, but he looked half a step slow today.

Everyone who loves Cooney when he does very well needs to remember that when he doesn't as much. I thought he tried to get open in 2nd half, but STJ just played him close. It happens. Don't scrutinize a player too much for one game. It's a team out there. Good to see Cuse picking up for each other.

Why would we not all love him when he does well? Why do people have agendas?

You can tell the posters who root for players and not the team because they are now tooting their own horns saying see Cooney isn't that good because of one game. I knew there were posters who didn't want to see Cooney succeed and this thread already begins to prove that.

Cooney is fine and anyone who doesn't see that is a band wagoner. I will take a quiet game from any one of these guys as long as we win. Trevor should and will keep the shots going. I have faith.

Well, he didn't sit most of the 2nd half. Also, he didn't force any shots. They were there, but would have been contested 3's. We got what we did inside, because of TC in large part. When he was out, CJ had to take the jumpers.

Cooney played 27 minutes total, the great majority of that in the first half.

He came in with 2 or 3 minutes left after Gbinije missed the foul shot badly. JB didn't want to allow SJU to get an advantage by repeatedly fouling Gbinije.

Giving Cooney credit for CJ and Ennis driving the lane seems a stretch.

NKR1978 said:
If this is sarcasm I apologize, but it seems like you are actively happy that a guy who has been great all year ad a bad game. Again, if this is sarcasm I'm sorry but if not I really don't understand this post.

There are 3-4 posters in this thread alone that root against Cooney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom