Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Cooney being on the court is a threat. If you don't think he had an affect on today's game you don't know basketball. His man never helps off him, ever.

Exactly! Cooney was running around like a lunatic trying to get free. Credit the Jonnie's D for staying with him and credit Trevor for not forcing shots.

Cooney has been great this year...a big surprise in the way he has exceeded expectations. I was at the game today. St. John's did a great defensive job on him denying him the ball. They have a bunch of very athletic, quick players and they totally erased him today. He had 3 open looks all pretty early and he missed all 3. Happens. But IMO Cooney became extremely frustrated that he couldn't get open looks as the game went on...and it appeared to me that he stopped working hard to move and get open which showed his inexperience a little. In those situations you want to see the guy dig down and work harder. I thought JB made the right move going to G to get more D in the game. But since G doesn't score that limits the SU offense and results in more isolation plays to drive to the basket. Fortunately CJ and Grant, and Tyler made enough big shots. Very exciting finish.

Townie72 said:
Go back and review the thread. It started as praise of TC. Eventually posters started to chime in suggesting today's TC performance was bad in reaction to the first two posts. You are consistent with your anti-Cooney conspiracy theory in which a subset of fans harbor a wish that the kids fails because they said he wasn't very good base on his performance last year.

I stand by my posts as they are factual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I

0-3. He was not the focal point and yes, he struggled early! But he took three shots. Not like that led SJU back in the game.
If Cooney really was like Gmac we might have seen Cooney shoot a nifty 2 for 13 today with several misfired long range threes that resulted in fast breaks the other way.

Ha cha cha cha cha cha cha.;):cool::rolleyes:

Exactly! Cooney was running around like a lunatic trying to get free. Credit the Jonnie's D for staying with him and credit Trevor for not forcing shots.
If Cooney really was like Gmac we might have seen Cooney shoot a nifty 2 for 13 today with several misfired long range threes that resulted in fast breaks the other way.

Ha cha cha cha cha cha cha.;):cool::rolleyes:

"Without Gerry McNamara, we don't win ten games this season. Not ten freaking games. He was double-teamed all season. The conference head coaches selected him first team All Conference but I guess they don't know shxt.""

TC has a loooong way to go to be Gerry MacNamara. It would be great if he can be as good or even almost as good.

Last edited:
People don't like to be wrong, especially on the internet. Cooney has proven that those who hate him (the ones that went well beyond just criticizing his play) were wrong. That doesn't sit well with them and any poor performances will help them feel better about their poor analysis of his game.

Did he have a good game today? No, by his standards and ours, he didn't have a good game.

Did he contribute in a positive way? Yes. He may not have contributed as much as we would have liked but his presence on the court, alone, pays dividends for this team. He certainly didn't hurt the team with his performance.

Can he play well against athletic teams and strong defensive pressure? Yes. Trevor has already shown that this year.

His performance today does not for a second make me second guess his ability or playing time.

Anyone stating that Cooney was anything but horrendous today should stop watching basketball. Giving Cooney credit for ennis driving with the ball is freaking nonsense. I don't root against the kid, I just don't think he is as good as many do here. I have always said he will struggle versus athletic teams and was ridiculed for it. I just think I am right and I think as the season goes on I will be vindicated. He can shoot not much more, IMO. Thanks.

you've already established your lack of credibility. It's pathetic that you chose today to come crawling out of the woodwork.

Speaking of team, from earlier. That's what I'm talking about.
13944317-standard.jpg

i really liked that smile jerami flashed to cj as they ran back upcourt after the monster stuff.

i really liked that smile jerami flashed to cj as they ran back upcourt after the monster stuff.
It's funny you mentioned that as I have noticed it's not the first and others do it too. When Grant slapped Cooley back to reality last year with a nasty help side swat, CJ egged Grant on which made him smile big like he did tonight. I think someone pumped him up after the block tonight as well.

Townie72 said:
Go back and review the thread. It started as praise of TC. Eventually posters started to chime in suggesting today's TC performance was bad in reaction to the first two posts. You are consistent with your anti-Cooney conspiracy theory in which a subset of fans harbor a wish that the kids fails because they said he wasn't very good base on his performance last year.

If you wish a kid to fail, you are wishing the team to fail, which obviously isn't the case.

It's silly to accuse posters like IB of something like that.

Pointing out that TC had a bad game, discussing why he had it is fair game.

He's not a superstar right now. Athletic teams that will pressure him can take him out of the game from time to time.

He's very good. He should continue to get better. But he will not shoot 48% from three this year.

It's ok he had a bad game. It's ok he isn't a superstar right now. But accusing fellow posters of hoping he fails is silly and borderline ban-worthy. If he continuously fails it means the team does worse. Do you really think that people on this board wish that?

Let's hope he bounces back with a great game. And let's get over the ridiculous conspiracy theories because INTERNET.

Go Cuse.

The point not to be overlooked is that Cuse has enough weapons to overcome one of their primary weapons being shut down. Red Storm played very tight m2m and made Cooney a focal point. Cuse compensated with Ennis driving and, later, G in alongside Ennis for defense. Teams don't go far in the Big Tournament if they're not multi-dimensional, so sit back and enjoy the fact that we just punched that ticket. I expect Cooney will be much more effective against 'Nova.--VBOF

I don't really care either way but the funniest part about all this is, JB pulls the kid in the 2nd half, literally sits him the majority of 2nd half and people here are stating that he had some type of impact on the game, makes sense

I just couldn't believe there were 60 replies to this thread and the term hadn't been employed. Had to be done.

Bad thread, IMO. Cooney was the victim of a very strong defensive effort. It was clear that the Johnnies' game plan was to control him and it worked. However, they didn't expect Ennis to shine so much. JB, +1!

i believe t ennis only had one bucket from the field second half.(finger roll). cj fair was our only real weapon.

Anyone stating that Cooney was anything but horrendous today should stop watching basketball. Giving Cooney credit for ennis driving with the ball is freaking nonsense. I don't root against the kid, I just don't think he is as good as many do here. I have always said he will struggle versus athletic teams and was ridiculed for it. I just think I am right and I think as the season goes on I will be vindicated. He can shoot not much more, IMO. Thanks.
i-8a5c04b3025a137d6085f0ef48f17404-sure_whatever_you_say_shirt-p235072587920002997zv73r_400.jpg

Bad thread, IMO. Cooney was the victim of a very strong defensive effort. It was clear that the Johnnies' game plan was to control him and it worked. However, they didn't expect Ennis to shine so much. JB, +1!
i actually made the thread at half when we were up 12 and going to the hole at will. cooney had yet to be pulled. i wouldn't have made the thread post game. i'm not foolish enough to think he had a huge impact today, but in the 1st half i thought he was responsible for ennis going off because of the driving lanes

The dude is shooter with a little more game - I've seen Reggie Miller go o'fer before - though it did look like he wasn't working to get open in the 2nd half - not sure y he sat the entire 2nd either

He was having so much of a positive affect on the game that Boeheim sat him down for most of the second half when the score tightened up and didn't put him back in till SJU started to foul.

In 27 minutes TC had zero points on 0-3 shooting, 1 Assist, 3 RBs and committed 2 fouls. Of course, I know that to suggest that his being a non-factor in the game exposes one to accusations if being a "front runner" and "no having absolutely no understanding of basketball" and "rooting for his failure" but the data --- and his riding the pines for most of the second half --- seem to suggest otherwise.

We all want SU to win and we all hope Cooney can help.
Boeheim benched him because of defense

Some of the statements on this thread are mind boggling. Without Cooney we would have 1-2 losses this year. He is an integral part of this team. Love him or hate him, we need him. He is our ONLY 3 pt threat. We won this game because Harrison lost his steam (and some CJ clutchness). A lot of that had to do with him having to chase Cooney around 3/4 of the game.

It absolutely blows my mind we still have Cooney doubters after the year he's had so far.

i actually made the thread at half when we were up 12 and going to the hole at will. cooney had yet to be pulled. i wouldn't have made the thread post game. i'm not foolish enough to think he had a huge impact today, but in the 1st half i thought he was responsible for ennis going off because of the driving lanes
But that is kind of the point. You made a pro-Cooney thread after what appeared to many to be a poor first half. Apparently, the coach did not see it your way.

I think it does show a shortcoming of this team, outside of Cooney there is no other sg 3 pt threat that JB trusts. If Cooney is shut down it looks like JB's other option is to go with the D that MG brings.

i believe t ennis only had one bucket from the field second half.(finger roll). cj fair was our only real weapon.
And a teardrop floater, I think...?

I agree with you in the following sense. St Johns had good defensive preparation for Cooney, Fair, and Grant. I think they gave too little attention to Ennis who made them pay. When Ennis started driving it opened up Fair and Grant. I think for whatever reason, today, Silent G was a better defender against St.John's Harrison.

A decent defensive team can take any one player out of his game, but that always opens up opportunities for others. Cooney will be fine over the season. One sub par game does not a poor player make. Some of the posters here as I am sure JB would be willing to tell them know little about what makes a talented player.
St. John's is going to be a pretty darn good basketball team, need to give them some credit for playing well today, Especially in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom