Cooney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

He was 0-3 and was on lock down. Harrison did a good job on him and they were switching a lot on the back screens. As others mentioned he had an effect on the court. I think G was brought in to help on the boards because how poorly we were rebounding and to extent the zone out more due to his size. If coach wanted scoring out of the SG spot they would have Cooney in no matter how well he is playing because G has no offensive game at this point.

Anyone stating that Cooney was anything but horrendous today should stop watching basketball. Giving Cooney credit for ennis driving with the ball is freaking nonsense. I don't root against the kid, I just don't think he is as good as many do here. I have always said he will struggle versus athletic teams and was ridiculed for it. I just think I am right and I think as the season goes on I will be vindicated. He can shoot not much more, IMO. Thanks.

There are 3-4 posters in this thread alone that root against Cooney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Nobody is rooting against him that I have read.

There are posters on here --- me among them --- who thought he was not much of a positive factor in most games last year.

But no one has said his contributions weren't key in some of this year's games.

Today SJU shut him down. Cooney wasn't the only one to have some problems out there with SJU's quickness and athleticism.

Boeheim sat Cooney down for the majority of the second half bringing him in at the end because of Gbinje's foul shooting problem. He must not have noticed that Cooney was responsible for oping up the lane as some have suggested.

IthacaBarrel said:
Anyone stating that Cooney was anything but horrendous today should stop watching basketball. Giving Cooney credit for ennis driving with the ball is freaking nonsense. I don't root against the kid, I just don't think he is as good as many do here. I have always said he will struggle versus athletic teams and was ridiculed for it. I just think I am right and I think as the season goes on I will be vindicated. He can shoot not much more, IMO. Thanks.

Yea, SJU is the first team we have played with any athletes. And he wasn't horrendous anyways.

Cooney played 27 minutes total, the great majority of that in the first half.

He came in with 2 or 3 minutes left after Gbinije missed the foul shot badly. JB didn't want to allow SJU to get an advantage by repeatedly fouling Gbinije.

Giving Cooney credit for CJ and Ennis driving the lane seems a stretch.

how is that a stretch? it's common basketball knowledge. it's why JS was so important last year, and why Cooney's early shooting will prove beneficial this year. Having a shooter on the floor forces the defense to play differently. If you can't give help defense off of your guys it opens up driving lanes plain and simple. It's basketball 101

I agree that in spite of Trevor not scoring he impacted the game. Ithaca, you should take note that we built a 13 point lead in the 1st half when Trevor was in the game. It was when Cooney was out of the game that the Johnnycakes staged their comeback.

Syracuse finding a way to win when Cooney is not scoring is a good thing which helps develop the team for a wide array of contingencies which we will encounter moving forward.

It just seems like there are still people who call themselves Syracuse fans that somehow want Cooney not to succeed. Get with the program and cheer the kid on... he bleeds Orange in case ya haven't noticed!
It's not just w/ Cooney, Flac. W/ some of our fan base, giving props is like pulling teeth. The fact that we won without a big day from TC, is maybe the most significant thing that happened today. We have FOUR(4) legit threats (CJ, TC, TE, JG) that all have to suck at the same time, for us to lose. That's wht a good team is all about...having answers for whatever the opponent takes away. Great TEAM win today. LGO

I'm still trying to figure out why we're having a Cooney bashing thread. We Won! That should count for something to all, everything to me and most others I'm guessing.

0-3. He was not the focal point and yes, he struggled early! But he took three shots. Not like that led SJU back in the game. Cooney is an important part of this team, both sides of the court. He will have bad games. As will every other individual on this team. There will always be a thread picking apart one player and a bad game, but give it a rest. Teams win and lose games. That's all that happened.

Townie72 said:
Nobody is rooting against him that I have read. There are posters on here --- me among them --- who thought he was not much of a positive factor in most games last year. But no one has said his contributions weren't key in some of this year's games. Today SJU shut him down. Cooney wasn't the only one to have some problems out there with SJU's quickness and athleticism. Boeheim sat Cooney down for the majority of the second half bringing him in at the end because of Gbinje's foul shooting problem. He must not have noticed that Cooney was responsible for oping up the lane as some have suggested.

People aren't stupid. We can read and we can read what people said a couple months ago. There are those who want him to fail.

It's not just w/ Cooney, Flac. W/ some of our fan base, giving props is like pulling teeth. The fact that we won without a big day from TC, is maybe the most significant thing that happened today. We have FOUR(4) legit threats (CJ, TC, TE, JG) that all have to suck at the same time, for us to lose. That's wht a good team is all about...having answers for whatever the opponent takes away. Great TEAM win today. LGO
Um...whoa. I just compiled a long winded post with the word Team in everyone's face. Same timing.

Doc, you are 100% right and have the prescription of what it takes! The fact that any Cuse fan would look upon this team with even one microbe of negativity is mind boggling. The team continues to grow and develop and tough contentious games such as today's provide much impetus for improvement, more so than a blowout of a team which does not challenge us.

We are perceived by most as being one of the top two or three teams in the Nation and the top team by some (Dick Vitale is one !)

The Nova game is going to be sensational!

Anyone stating that Cooney was anything but horrendous today should stop watching basketball. Giving Cooney credit for ennis driving with the ball is freaking nonsense. I don't root against the kid, I just don't think he is as good as many do here. I have always said he will struggle versus athletic teams and was ridiculed for it. I just think I am right and I think as the season goes on I will be vindicated. He can shoot not much more, IMO. Thanks.[/quote

Sorry Barrel but if you don't believe a guy that is instructed to stay in one guys shorts and nothing else doesn't hurt your teams ability to stop the penetration of a terrific point guard, then you don't completely understand the game. Cooney is effective just standing on the floor.k

Doc, you are 100% right and have the prescription of what it takes! The fact that any Cuse fan would look upon this team with even one microbe of negativity is mind boggling. The team continues to grow and develop and tough contentious games such as today's provide much impetus for improvement, more so than a blowout of a team which does not challenge us.

We are perceived by most as being one of the top two or three teams in the Nation and the top team by some (Dick Vitale is one !)

The Nova game is going to be sensational!

Well, if Dick Vitale says it, it must be true.

What he actually said was that SU "may" be the best team. Allowing him to then gush about several other candidates depending who he trying to stroke at that minute.

This team compared to many other SU teams at this point in the schedule is very much a work in progress. The game today was the most encouraging one I have seen because we demonstrated we don't depend upon bombing away from behind the arc. We can pound the ball inside and score and we can get people to the rim.

One of the key moments was Grant's dunk after going to the basket.

Speaking of team, from earlier. That's what I'm talking about.
13944317-standard.jpg

Cooney being on the court is a threat. If you don't think he had an affect on today's game you don't know basketball. His man never helps off him, ever.

He was having so much of a positive affect on the game that Boeheim sat him down for most of the second half when the score tightened up and didn't put him back in till SJU started to foul.

In 27 minutes TC had zero points on 0-3 shooting, 1 Assist, 3 RBs and committed 2 fouls. Of course, I know that to suggest that his being a non-factor in the game exposes one to accusations if being a "front runner" and "no having absolutely no understanding of basketball" and "rooting for his failure" but the data --- and his riding the pines for most of the second half --- seem to suggest otherwise.

We all want SU to win and we all hope Cooney can help.

Don't let the blank box score fool you. He is still having a major effect on this game. I haven't seen the driving lanes open this much all season. With Lavin deciding not to give help off of Cooney it is allowing Ennis to go to the hoop basically at will. It looks like we picked up on this half way through the 1st half. If Lavin stays with this Ennis may end up with a monster game. This reflects this stat line of 15 points and only 1 assist. Watch for this in the 2nd half

I agree with you in the following sense. St Johns had good defensive preparation for Cooney, Fair, and Grant. I think they gave too little attention to Ennis who made them pay. When Ennis started driving it opened up Fair and Grant. I think for whatever reason, today, Silent G was a better defender against St.John's Harrison.

He was having so much of a positive affect on the game that Boeheim sat him down for most of the second half when the score tightened up and didn't put him back in till SJU started to foul.

In 27 minutes TC had zero points on 0-3 shooting, 1 Assist, 3 RBs and committed 2 fouls. Of course, I know that to suggest that his being a non-factor in the game exposes one to accusations if being a "front runner" and "no having absolutely no understanding of basketball" and "rooting for his failure" but the data --- and his riding the pines for most of the second half --- seem to suggest otherwise.

We all want SU to win and we all hope Cooney can help.

Thought MG came in and really helped on Harrison. Wish that happened sooner in the 2nd half as Cooney was way off today

People who are "just telling it like it is" with respect to TC seem awfully satisfied that he didn't have a great game.

Do you have some sort of meter that measures "intent" of posters or their state of mind? I think the Cooney defenders are way too sensitive about any criticism directed at him. There was even a post a few days ago stating that Cooney had a better freshman year than GMC which was quickly nuked by the next poster.

The core of this team will be Ennis and Fair and Grant from 18 ft to the basket and the Bigs down low getting RBs and 10 to 12 pts a game between them. That's what we are going to need in tight games in the ACC, the ACC tourney and the NCAA tourney. TC bombing away from outside is nice to have and not something you can depend upon every night or at "crunch time".

NKR1978 said:
People who are "just telling it like it is" with respect to TC seem awfully satisfied that he didn't have a great game.

Exactly. Here is the process. Claim he won't start and isn't a good player preseason. Then when he's killing it game after game, be quiet and don't post about it. Then one off game and bam here come the posts calling out the off game and the see I told you he wasn't any good posts.

Thought MG came in and really helped on Harrison. Wish that happened sooner in the 2nd half as Cooney was way off today

Shhh! You'll be accused of being a "frontrunner", not knowledgeable about basketball and taking excessive joy in Cooney's struggles.

Exactly. Here is the process. Claim he won't start and isn't a good player preseason. Then when he's killing it game after game, be quiet and don't post about it. Then one off game and bam here come the posts calling out the off game and the see I told you he wasn't any good posts.

Go back and review the thread. It started as praise of TC. Eventually posters started to chime in suggesting today's TC performance was bad in reaction to the first two posts.

You are consistent with your anti-Cooney conspiracy theory in which a subset of fans harbor a wish that the kids fails because they said he wasn't very good base on his performance last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom