Corey Cooper | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Corey Cooper

If only we had a 6'4" 230lb - Kid who is a tremendous athlete who was underutilized on the offense that maybe, just maybe, could help the receiving corps as well.

Especially if he were to have "great" hands.

Cooper was higher ranked then anyone on the roster save for maybe Funderburk. No one is saying he would have been Randy Moss but based on what we have seen to date he certainly would have helped.
I really, really like what I saw on Cooper's video but keep in mind that Lavar Lobdell was rated higher than all of them and he was a complete bust. While we all like ratings, I'll take the staff's evaluation every time.

Once a starting QB is established...I'm confident that this staff will surround him with players that will make plays. Remember, Sales was a wr with limited speed but he understood how to get open...same could be said for Lemon. Imo, this year we'll have more players on the field that can actually stretch the field than we did last year.

The big question mark for me is...how proficient will the new man under center be? His progress, or lack thereof, will determine our offensive success this year.

Commenter #1: We have unproven talent.

Commenter #2: I disagree! Our guys are unproven but have talent.

Commenters #3-8: I'm worried. These guys are unproven.

Commenter #1: We have unproven talent.

Commenter #2: I disagree! Our guys are unproven but have talent.

Commenters #3-8: I'm worried. These guys are unproven.

So perhaps we should all establish a baseline of what "unproven" means to us? ;)

It just happened to be that our two best WR's who had a bunch of experience last year graduated in the same class. No other way around it, when that happens you can't not have some kind of concern for what might happen because no one else had the chance to prove much. Our third WR from last year in West will surely be a starter and has shown he has a chance to be pretty good. Our 3rd and 4th WR's from last year in Kobena and Clark are back and will fight for time. Other than West no receiver has proved anything during a game but as most people would agree with we have some decent talent to work with. Other than West I don't expect anyone else to be great this year but they should be solid enough to where it doesn't kill us. We aren't talking WR talent as seen in the years like when Rice Moss was the best we had. They will be serviceable this year and could eventually be very good.

Can't expect much from Frosh. People underestimate how hard it is to come in and play WR as a frosh. Besides the playbook , learning to run routes and the nuances of the postion going up against top CB's takes some acclimation time. Its not quite like say RB.

Really bummed we don't have Foster this year as I thought he was going to be good. Also would've been nice to have Dontez Ford as he was tearing up the skout team at WR. I got the impression he left because he wanted to play WR and we wouldn't let him. Is that true?!? Guess those "scholar"ships have sailed.

Assuming he is healthy, as a dark horse I really like Ben Lewis to emerge this year and show great potential. I see him as our next Alec Lemon eventually.

Rocco, always look forward to reading your take. Aside from West, who else do you see from the WR pool with the talent to possibly contribute? This offense, in whatever form it takes, is going to need play makers at WR or it's going to be a long, long season of 8 in the box.

I love Ben Lewis and Alvin Cornelius. Kobena had a great off-season, as did Flemming. Losing Foster and Hale hurts, but isn't the end of the day. Funderburke will be fine. Not a clue on Winfield, Estime or Cooper (ineligible anyways), but I'm sure one will be utilized simply because they were handpicked by the offensive staff and McDonald (my guess is Estime as a Tavon Austin-type lined up at the 3 slot). Chris Clark is intriguing and had a few nice catches last year, but I'd much rather see Flemming in there.

The biggest priority IMO is the WR's blocking ability (obviously we need guys to make some catches, but I'm really not worried as much as others about that). This will be a run-heavy team and we need guys that can stone the corners.

My guess for top 4 receivers at the end of the season:

West
Kobena
Funderburke
Cornelius/Lewis/Flemming

We're still better off than having Tim Lane and Jeff Lowe.
I agree with Rocco's post immediately above me.
I also am now a big fan of the phrase "tethered to a juggs machine". I'll try it out down the shore this summer and see how many times I get slapped. But, the first time I don't get slapped means...

I love Ben Lewis and Alvin Cornelius. Kobena had a great off-season, as did Flemming. Losing Foster and Hale hurts, but isn't the end of the day. Funderburke will be fine. Not a clue on Winfield, Estime or Cooper (ineligible anyways), but I'm sure one will be utilized simply because they were handpicked by the offensive staff and McDonald (my guess is Estime as a Tavon Austin-type lined up at the 3 slot). Chris Clark is intriguing and had a few nice catches last year, but I'd much rather see Flemming in there.

The biggest priority IMO is the WR's blocking ability (obviously we need guys to make some catches, but I'm really not worried as much as others about that). This will be a run-heavy team and we need guys that can stone the corners.

West
Kobena
Funderburke
Cornelius/Lewis/Flemming

Thanks man. I absolutely agree, this will be a run heavy team. And every team we play, at least early, will game plan for us that way. Without a couple of legit playmakers at WR, if won't matter how well we block the corners.

I am disappointed that Funderburke did not step up in the spring. Not sure West, Kobena & Clark are the answer. Hoping that one or two of the last 3 you mentioned have break out seasons. But, I am most intrigued by Estime.

West
Kobena
Funderburke
Cornelius/Lewis/Flemming
It's do or die for flemming

I think it is pretty obvious that an area of concern for this upcoming season is lack of experience at WR. As many have already pointed out we don't have a lot of proven depth, just a lot of unknowns. Cooper fell into the unknown category as well. He may have been able to contribute a lot next season, but you can say that about four or five guys still on the roster, several of which have at least done a thing or two at the college level. I just don't know how someone in a partial-panic over an unproven freshman's failure to qualify can criticize someone else when they say we have several other unproven WRs on the roster who may be able to make an impact. Could Cooper have come in and made an impact next season? Maybe. Do we have four or five guys already on the roster who may be able to make an impact next season? Maybe. With or without Cooper our WR corp is full of maybes for next season.

I think it is pretty obvious that an area of concern for this upcoming season is lack of experience at WR. As many have already pointed out we don't have a lot of proven depth, just a lot of unknowns. Cooper fell into the unknown category as well. He may have been able to contribute a lot next season, but you can say that about four or five guys still on the roster, several of which have at least done a thing or two at the college level. I just don't know how someone in a partial-panic over an unproven freshman's failure to qualify can criticize someone else when they say we have several other unproven WRs on the roster who may be able to make an impact. Could Cooper have come in and made an impact next season? Maybe. Do we have four or five guys already on the roster who may be able to make an impact next season? Maybe. With or without Cooper our WR corp is full of maybes for next season.

Commenter: I think that we have unproven talent.

I really hope that Flemming can stay healthy just for the kids sake. His first year seemed like it was a waste, his redshirt was burned for a few snaps. I agree with Rocco about blocking, the difference between a 6 yard run and a 25 yard run is almost always a block from a WR. It's nice to have speed guys but my understanding of the Pistol is it requires WR to block well on the outside. Flemming has the size to be an effective receiver and blocker if he can stay on the field.

West
Kobena
Funderburke
Cornelius/Lewis/Flemming
I really like AC . he had a really good Spring and has the size and speed to be a solid contributor . we definitely have some potential all we really need is 1 guy to step up big time to go with West and Wales. Personally I think AC will be that guy and be our next go to receiverr as his career progresses. Even if he isn't ready this season we still have options with Flemming , Estime, and Kobena. if Estime makes it I think he can be a home run threat from the slot

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom