Cornell Gameday... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Gameday...

Heartbreaker for the team as they played hard. Defense just breaks down over the course of just about every game. The offense sputters against zone defense. Same old story!
Not sure why Gavin started after weak game against Albany?? Don't want to be too hard on Gavin as Cornell shooters are great but...8 saves after your team gives you a big lead is not great. Thompson should get the next start.

Well I was worried the team would run out of gas in the 2nd and with everything that happened they really had a good chance to win this game. Inconsistency is something I expect but man some of the same issues you see every game are so frustrating to watch.

Individualy the D was fine, that was either an idiotic decision to double or Petro called that for some ungodly reason

The mic picked up Petro's huddle, he was giving very clear directions but the Orange players did not follow them. The game was lost on a hesitated slide a minute after Petro told them specifically not to hesitate, just go. Players failed to execute there. I don't think Petro has been great but I wouldn't blame him for this one

I think baby Jeezus hates us.

What worries me is Petramala may kill a player...

Gavin is the worst goalie in memory.
Playing Gavin ahead of Thompson sent a bad message to the team early on. Let's start a suspended transfer ahead of a guy who's worked hard for 2 years. Oh, and by the way, Gait says they're about even in ability. If I'm a player, I have lost respect for the coaches.

I think baby Jeezus hates us.

What worries me is Petramala may kill a player...
next weekend is easter. may be time to sacrifice a goat. (according to some tasty traditions)

Team played hard, they should feel proud of themselves tonight. Still have no idea what we are doing on defense. They are the definition of “lost in the wash”. Have no idea what Petro is trying to do but it’s not working. A slide heavy package against a great passing team is not a successful strategy. I’ve never seen so many confused players on the field. I want to be clear I’m not blaming them, I am blaming the staff. The criticism of Petro was that his defense was too complicated. After so many games I would have to agree with said criticism! Still haven’t seen any adjustments.

Felt like the turning point was the (yet again, another) offside call that then led to a penalty on Rosa and a ridiculously easy goal for Cornell on the man up with a player left wide open on the crease. That play seemed to sum up the entire season.

Again I’m really impressed the players worked so hard and pushed themselves with essentially nothing to play for. They didn’t quit and I thought this would be an easy win for the Big Red. Also was good to see younger players with big games. Really have to question why Birtwistle and Corsi didn’t see more time but it was good to see them contributing.

Insert Peter Colluchini breaking his stick over his leg.

Hey long time reader but this is my
first ever post. Long long time cuse fan and love this forum. I haven’t missed least watching game for 8-10years pay for whatever need to to watch. That said as hard as this season has been was proud of team today they came out hot yes cooled down, but when cornell went on that run and took lead they could of fell apart then but they stayed poised enough to fight back and stay in it. Offense yes has problems but a lot of young talent playing specially cause of injuries. Defense not perfect clearly but think the worst problem is goalies. They just don’t seem to be able to make saves after saves or even steal few they shouldn’t can’t even make saves should. Feel would boost defense bit if goalie could make a nice save specially after long possession. Gavin feel guess alot and really noticed it in ND game on one of the many jake taylor goals. He was on left side n stick was high n shot high but gavin went low and stick never dropped for shooter why was gavin going low. He is young n hasn’t started full season but i just don’t see any wow saves from him. Sorry for such long rambler super excited can finally join in this forum .

Team played hard, they should feel proud of themselves tonight. Still have no idea what we are doing on defense. They are the definition of “lost in the wash”. Have no idea what Petro is trying to do but it’s not working. A slide heavy package against a great passing team is not a successful strategy. I’ve never seen so many confused players on the field. I want to be clear I’m not blaming them, I am blaming the staff. The criticism of Petro was that his defense was too complicated. After so many games I would have to agree with said criticism! Still haven’t seen any adjustments.

Felt like the turning point was the (yet again, another) offside call that then led to a penalty on Rosa and a ridiculously easy goal for Cornell on the man up with a player left wide open on the crease. That play seemed to sum up the entire season.

Again I’m really impressed the players worked so hard and pushed themselves with essentially nothing to play for. They didn’t quit and I thought this would be an easy win for the Big Red. Also was good to see younger players with big games. Really have to question why Birtwistle and Corsi didn’t see more time but it was good to see them contributing.

Insert Peter Colluchini breaking his stick over his leg.

Agree with your points! Coaching has been a big disappointment and that starts with Gait.

totally agree! I have to ask why is jerry staats on man down he doesn’t move well(injury prior) and does not stay or get back to where he should. Also notice a lot of players duck or get out of the way on shot. Understand can hurt but also possible block shot and need to fully sell out for your team and I still believe back in the unc chip game vs maryland that if that unc player didn’t full on sell out diving in front of shot goalie might not make save and unc doesn’t get ball n chance to win that game. This team has heart and never quits can def say that.

Just getting back and not terribly disappointed despite the result. Third quarter run could easily be blamed on the sheer amount of time Cornell had the ball, not just defensive mishaps. You can’t be making dumb turnovers early in the shot clock on O, and losing at the x, AND failing clears all at once. That illegal stick to start the quarter. That offsides after a full possession of solid D into an instant goal. Shot clock resets on an already exhausted D. It was too much.

I am not in a major Petro hating mood either. I liked that one look of zone we threw at them super late to get it going the other way. They were not expecting it out of the time out. Would have maayyybe liked to see it earlier due to the fatigued D, but that would have ruined the effect in that moment. Want to preface this by saying that Caccamo played a phenomenal game and is the most promising freshman we have. Great to have a guy that doesn’t just stop his man but puts it on the ground too. But that last play in regulation was entirely on him and he knows it. Murphy had piatelli pushed to a bad enough angle where he should have never slid. He messed up. And then didn’t commit to the slide entirely and got stuck in no man’s land. Stays on longs stick there and it’s probably game over. Tragic.

Seeing powel fans comment about no Corsi and birtwistle. I think that is due almost entirely to the zone and them being more dodgers first than feeders/shooters. We got good looks against the zone after some early goofs in the third. Not enough shooting power on this team behind curry and dordevic, and dordevic was looking super worn down. It showed in his shots against the zone.

They are fighting like crazy so it’s devastating that they came this close and got nothing. The effort out there is 110% even through the fatigue. Blanket trashing the roster and “deskos guys” is a no no. I’ll admit I made a comment about the seniors after the army game that I regret now. They don’t deserve that. They have had a tough go at it and are still showing up and batting. To play Cornell this close without an x advantage is still a positive achievement.

Hey long time reader but this is my
first ever post. Long long time cuse fan and love this forum. I haven’t missed least watching game for 8-10years pay for whatever need to to watch. That said as hard as this season has been was proud of team today they came out hot yes cooled down, but when cornell went on that run and took lead they could of fell apart then but they stayed poised enough to fight back and stay in it. Offense yes has problems but a lot of young talent playing specially cause of injuries. Defense not perfect clearly but think the worst problem is goalies. They just don’t seem to be able to make saves after saves or even steal few they shouldn’t can’t even make saves should. Feel would boost defense bit if goalie could make a nice save specially after long possession. Gavin feel guess alot and really noticed it in ND game on one of the many jake taylor goals. He was on left side n stick was high n shot high but gavin went low and stick never dropped for shooter why was gavin going low. He is young n hasn’t started full season but i just don’t see any wow saves from him. Sorry for such long rambler super excited can finally join in this forum .
Not a good game at all for Gavin. Man down d is the one thing i would harp on Petro for. It is beyond Swiss cheese. Something isn’t working. One time we shut off of the guy to make it 5v4 and they scored in literally 2 seconds. It was embarrassing.

E1F19820-58EC-4242-80A9-88EA4A08533F.jpeg

Just got back from the game a little while ago. The fellas played with a lot of heart. They hussled and never gave up. This game could have easily gone the other way. Turnovers were way down and passing was so much better. I had a bad angle on the Dami penalty, but it looked like a bad call; although, I didn't see it from the ref's vantage point. Cornell is a very good team and they had all they could handle with the Orange.

Murph was rancid on defense. Piatelli is a nice shooter and off the ball guy but that was unacceptable. Murphy been a starter for 3 years and he lays eggs all the time. The offense to me was great in the first, and then all the sudden they can't solve a zone at all?

Liked what I saw in the first with the inverting of the young middies (Corsi, Birtwistle, Cordes). Those guys need to play a lot. I wouldn't be opposed to sitting Berkman, throwing Curry at attack and rolling with those 3 as the first line mid. They make stuff happen. Rotate Buttermore in with them and give him plenty of shifts but those guys are going to play a role in the future and this season is clearly a lost cause.

I was very surprised to hear on the broadcast that Petro calls timeouts. You don't see assistants calling timeouts too often
I caught Petro telling Gait to call a timeout at one point. Certainly looked like Gait was too focused on whatever it was he was doing and not managing the game.

I caught Petro telling Gait to call a timeout at one point. Certainly looked like Gait was too focused on whatever it was he was doing and not managing the game.
I’ve seen Petro at one end of the bench yelling to Gary at the other end to call a time out multiple times this season as I typically sit behind where he tends to spend most the game. Very odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom