Cornell Gameday... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Gameday...

felt like Su just ran out of energy after the 1st half, they were playing at such a high emotional level, hard to keep that up

We need a goalie very badly ..Haven’t seen us make a save we shouldn’t have and too many soft goals…will load up next year but missing pieces / unknowns are fogo and goalie ..that’s got to be priority

Seeing powel fans comment about no Corsi and birtwistle. I think that is due almost entirely to the zone and them being more dodgers first than feeders/shooters. We got good looks against the zone after some early goofs in the third. Not enough shooting power on this team behind curry and dordevic, and dordevic was looking super worn down. It showed in his shots against the zone.

Yes, good point re Corsi and Birstwistle. I just get irritated when I see a player do something well (they shot combined 3-5) and then not see them the rest of the game. But you are right their games probably aren't right for attacking a zone. And with a zone you aren't expelling as much energy as you would be against man to man, so you don't have to rotate guys as much. It's too bad Quinn (and of course Hiltz) weren't healthy for this game as I think those two players would have really helped against a zone. I think I saw one skip pass all game, something Hiltz is a wizard at.

At least seeing Corsi and Birtwistle play well made me feel better about next year.

The zone offense did look better against Cornell than they did in previous games - Curry had an excellent pass to Buttermore on the inside of the zone but the Cornell goalie made a nice save. Frustrating to say the least see the offense look near impossible to stop against another top 10 team (Army is the other I am thinking of) but get slowed down by a zone. Given that they were up by a good amount, and the zone is meant to slow the game down, I wish they had done a better job of killing clock. Cornell should have been the one losing their cool, not SU.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 9.19.59 AM.png

Yes, good point re Corsi and Birstwistle. I just get irritated when I see a player do something well (they shot combined 3-5) and then not see them the rest of the game. But you are right their games probably aren't right for attacking a zone. And with a zone you aren't expelling as much energy as you would be against man to man, so you don't have to rotate guys as much. It's too bad Quinn (and of course Hiltz) weren't healthy for this game as I think those two players would have really helped against a zone. I think I saw one skip pass all game, something Hiltz is a wizard at.

At least seeing Corsi and Birtwistle play well made me feel better about next year.

The zone offense did look better against Cornell than they did in previous games - Curry had an excellent pass to Buttermore on the inside of the zone but the Cornell goalie made a nice save. Frustrating to say the least see the offense look near impossible to stop against another top 10 team (Army is the other I am thinking of) but get slowed down by a zone. Given that they were up by a good amount, and the zone is meant to slow the game down, I wish they had done a better job of killing clock. Cornell should have been the one losing their cool, not SU.
Was there no post-game presser??

Credit to Cornell, they weren't afraid to pull a starter when he wasn't performing and they got a spark. I was surprised that they yanked Ierlan as quick as they did but that combined with the zone defense worked. I'd like to see the offensive guys change levels a bit more to stop being predictable. They kept trying to go low on Knust and he was eating them up. Birtwistle's first goal was a beautiful low to high that fooled Ierlan into dropping down. The offense definitely needs more of that. Would also like to see more transition, felt like they had a couple opportunities to push before Cornell got set in their zone but players would back out.

Honestly I liked the aggressive defense they played last night but unfortunately as the game went on the recovery started slowing down. Then as the game got tight it seemed like they started second guessing themselves, leading to unnecessary slides or just guys getting caught in no mans land which left Cornell shooters wide open.

They could drop the next three or win the next three, unfortunately though the Albany and Hopkins losses will prevent any postseason play if they manage to win out and go .500.

Last edited:
So when does Gait start to coach??? Or is Petro the real HC?

Honestly its getting bizarre. Petro is out their doing most of the actual HC duties while Gait kinda stands there like he's Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank who came down from the box to watch the 4th quarter from the sideline. I know Gait has his own style but this an odd dynamic and one that I am not sure SU really signed up for.

Last edited:

Corsi and Birtwistle can both sling it and should have played more the second half. Corsi was out there a few series but SU needed to make more moves agains the zone. Sit Berkman and put Corsi at attack to help open things up. Thought SU finally got a good feel for the zone late but Curry and Cordes both hit the pipe and Dordevic missed on a few looks he usually buries. Thought Buttermore got caught in between a few times, passed up some real good looks I want him taking and as you and others noted spacing was an issue at times as well.

The problem with being patient against the zone is that Cornell went on a quick run so the lead was almost gone hallway through the 3rd so we couldn't just kill clock and shorten the game had we still been up 5 or 6.

Defensively I thought individually (save for Murphy) SU matched up pretty well. Why we kept trying to double the ball is beyond me. Multiple times it led to Cornell swinging the ball for an open look. I just don't get it. Murphy also should have sat, at some point you have to try something different, disheartening to leave him out there to get abused by Piatelli. I know Gavin has taken some heat but both goalies honestly have struggled when asked to make elite level saves. Gavin had a few big saves in the 2nd half but hasn't been able to make the "wow" type we saw a few years ago. The bigger issue for me is the defense overall. Odd that we would have one of the best goalies in the country two years ago and he would fall off the map last year. Did Drake have a down year or did the D fall apart in front of him? This years struggles by both Gavin and Thompson lead me to believe its the D overall but both goalies have also shown an inability to take over a game.

The mic picked up Petro's huddle, he was giving very clear directions but the Orange players did not follow them. The game was lost on a hesitated slide a minute after Petro told them specifically not to hesitate, just go. Players failed to execute there. I don't think Petro has been great but I wouldn't blame him for this one

Yes I did hear that as well, interesting to get his instructions live. That said I thought he was talkign about sliding on a dodge where the initial defender was beat or needed help. On the double that caused the game winning goal the Cornell player is on the wing and is no threat or even dodging at that point. There was no need for SU to double there in my opinion and it led to disaster.

Corsi and Birtwistle can both sling it and should have played more the second half. Corsi was out there a few series but SU needed to make more moves agains the zone. Sit Berkman and put Corsi at attack to help open things up. Thought SU finally got a good feel for the zone late but Curry and Cordes both hit the pipe and Dordevic missed on a few looks he usually buries. Thought Buttermore got caught in between a few times, passed up some real good looks I want him taking and as you and others noted spacing was an issue at times as well.

The problem with being patient against the zone is that Cornell went on a quick run so the lead was almost gone hallway through the 3rd so we couldn't just kill clock and shorten the game had we still been up 5 or 6.

Defensively I thought individually (save for Murphy) SU matched up pretty well. Why we kept trying to double the ball is beyond me. Multiple times it led to Cornell swinging the ball for an open look. I just don't get it. Murphy also should have sat, at some point you have to try something different, disheartening to leave him out there to get abused by Piatelli. I know Gavin has taken some heat but both goalies honestly have struggled when asked to make elite level saves. Gavin had a few big saves in the 2nd half but hasn't been able to make the "wow" type we saw a few years ago. The bigger issue for me is the defense overall. Odd that we would have one of the best goalies in the country two years ago and he would fall off the map last year. Did Drake have a down year or did the D fall apart in front of him? This years struggles by both Gavin and Thompson lead me to believe its the D overall but both goalies have also shown an inability to take over a game.

Going back and thinking about the game again, I thought there were actually a handful of well times slides but overall I agree with your point of questioning a lot of the attempted double teams. I keep wondering is it a symptom of guys not trusting their teammates? Or is it part of the system they are running?

Watching the MD/Rutgers game the other night I was really focusing on Maryland's defense and I also thought they were sliding earlier than they needed to, but I think that's just how they run their system and they just play together so well as a unit. That's where Syracuse needs to figure out the right harmony, they have a lot of good individuals out there but can they figure it out as a unit?

I think goalie play could certainly be better at times, but I think I mentioned it last night during the game and it's a weekly theme, this defense just gives up so many easy goals every game.

Going back and thinking about the game again, I thought there were actually a handful of well times slides but overall I agree with your point of questioning a lot of the attempted double teams. I keep wondering is it a symptom of guys not trusting their teammates? Or is it part of the system they are running?

Watching the MD/Rutgers game the other night I was really focusing on Maryland's defense and I also thought they were sliding earlier than they needed to, but I think that's just how they run their system and they just play together so well as a unit. That's where Syracuse needs to figure out the right harmony, they have a lot of good individuals out there but can they figure it out as a unit?

I think goalie play could certainly be better at times, but I think I mentioned it last night during the game and it's a weekly theme, this defense just gives up so many easy goals every game.

Agreed on pretty much all of your points. Maryland is so dialed in defensively that they are one fo the few teams that rarely mis-slides or has issues rotating or with their 2nd and 3rd slides. This SU team is struggling with slides but does do a pretty good job individually (for the most part). Surprised we don't move to a "slow to slide" defense where our defenders can just play their man unless a guy is clearly beat. Sure you will get beat a few times its inevitable but it would solve a lot of our issues with slide confusion.

I don't have an issue double teaming to get turnovers but man the lack of awareness for time and situation was blaring. It's one thing up 5 in the 2nd quarter to try it versus up 1 with a minute to go or into OT. Makes you wonder what this staff is thinking at times, tons of of Lax 101 mistakes this far into the season is a terrible sign.

I think the context of what was happening in the game is important here. The D was rock solid in the first half. At one point when the half was almost over I think they only had one goal of legit 6v6 offense, and it was a low angle 1v1 shot off the dodge that gavin should have had. Then they go to zone and get some stops early, go on a run at the x, we throw out a couple signature dumb turnovers and offsides penalties, unfortunate shot clock resets, and suddenly the already fatigued D has been playing defense for almost an entire quarter. Harder to stay disciplined on slides when you are gassed. We set the tone early with physical aggressive D and then they had to just hang on for dear life because they kept on getting possessions. Cornell has a top notch offense with a lot of weapons. Phaup is unfortunately feeling the effects of taking all the draws this season. I doubt a fresh Phaup goes 50 50 at the x.

We tend to get in the weeds during a tough season like this - we're not used to losing. Stepping back, the team has been competitive in a number of losses (Army, MD, Albany, Hopkins) but came up short for all the reasons discussed on the chat room. When you look at this from the seniors' and other returning players' point of view, this has been the 2nd straight season of upheaval and drama. After years of playing under Desko, you are then under 2 new coaches with big egos and big resumes. Add in some serious injuries and the loss of your best and smartest player in Hiltz, I think we need to cut these guys some slack.

If Gait's pressers are any indication, he is dumping the blame on the players (lack of talent, execution, preparation) which, while true in part, demonstrates a lack of character and leadership by the coach in not taking some responsibility. Looking back, Desko's reserve and tipping of his hat looks absolutely first class.

I think the context of what was happening in the game is important here. The D was rock solid in the first half. At one point when the half was almost over I think they only had one goal of legit 6v6 offense, and it was a low angle 1v1 shot off the dodge that gavin should have had. Then they go to zone and get some stops early, go on a run at the x, we throw out a couple signature dumb turnovers and offsides penalties, unfortunate shot clock resets, and suddenly the already fatigued D has been playing defense for almost an entire quarter. Harder to stay disciplined on slides when you are gassed. We set the tone early with physical aggressive D and then they had to just hang on for dear life because they kept on getting possessions. Cornell has a top notch offense with a lot of weapons. Phaup is unfortunately feeling the effects of taking all the draws this season. I doubt a fresh Phaup goes 50 50 at the x.
To add to this, in the third quarter we only won two faceoffs and one was the first one where Dordevic immediately turned it over in 10 seconds. That hurts

The TOP in the 3rd quarter last night was certainly a factor. I agree this defense certainly has quarters where it looks coherent and formadible and then there are times were they look lost. Hard to tell watching on TV but maybe they have to many communication breakdowns at the worst times?

Regarding Phaup I think you are right on. I know possession is important and he's your best guy but it's crazy that the staff doesn't run someone else out there 4-5 times a game. This was my complaint with Desko ever since Ben Williams arrived and I guess it's just going to continue with this staff too.

The TOP in the 3rd quarter last night was certainly a factor. I agree this defense certainly has quarters where it looks coherent and formadible and then there are times were they look lost. Hard to tell watching on TV but maybe they have to many communication breakdowns at the worst times?

Regarding Phaup I think you are right on. I know possession is important and he's your best guy but it's crazy that the staff doesn't run someone else out there 4-5 times a game. This was my complaint with Desko ever since Ben Williams arrived and I guess it's just going to continue with this staff too.
Could not agree more about getting more fogos in.

Its a tough call. Last year we did it with Varello a solid amount, even more in 2019 when they were almost even. We had that year in 2018 where it was Varello and the occ transfer whose name escapes me. I think its a situation where if you truly think your number two guy will not win the faceoff, then probably best to not run him out there. With phaups usage I'm more ticked off that we couldnt land a solid enough back up fogo this year. I assume if Savage was the equivalent of Varello in 2020 then we would see some action from him.

It’s been a long and disappointing season of course. Think have to realize with the injuries and the young talent we do have but haven’t played much(more coaches fault) But also feel the seniors on this team should be leaders n stand up telling coaches hey need to play this kid more or get him in or try this. Also besides d with kenny n grant the rest is young and have talent to grow. Offense have couple seniors also on curry tuck quinn seabold n butter but all but curry n tuck haven’t started all their career at cuse so some growing pains there also. Overall super proud this team battled with cornell till end even if came out on fire. Knew from start would be long tough season once hiltz got hurt and the schedule we made(grant love the toughness of schedule n think should keep going with it maby one more cupcake game ) can only make ya better or battled tested. But either way post season in my mind at start was very iffy if this team would even make it. After albany game def knew wasn’t gonna. Does not mean season is total lost I would be proud n impressed if with last 3 games we atleast battled in all them. Don’t have to win all tho would be nice but as long as it’s a game and we made it tough for opponent to win. Specially would like to see us make it a game vs ND as last 3 they wiped floor with us. If they can least battle in that game even if lose by goal would deem this season atleast a plus going into next year. Also like to say I agree with fair kinda putting blame on team n none on him n feel kinda crappy to do so. After thinking bout it i started to wonder if he don’t mean fully not enough talent in this team but more he’s trying to force them to play Like a team. Meaning not just one or two players gonna win u games or chip. To get back to chipweekend the whole team needs to play together and trust one another which many times i’ve seen they do not. Grant think if that’s case gait could def go better way in doing so but i totally agree they need to play as team no matter how much talent ya have unless all working together and trust one another your not going to go far. Maryland and Uva and other teams all do that very well as can see these teams assists are way higher then ours.This team fought hard last night and showed improvement at many things even tho still made mistakes they least showed can play well n with anyone just matter of keeping that consistent and trusting one another to do their jobs

I think in the long run and truly look at this season it is an improvement from last year. As last year almost every game we lost besides duke and maby one more if any we got blown out. Beating virginia 2twice last year is really what got us in playoffs tho prob wouldn’t of of the ivy wasn’t out, def helped last year. Older on offense yes but besides few offensive guys n kennedy, grant murphy and phaup we are very young. As much as bad year it’s been we did improve cause we have been competitive in most of our games specially top tier teams and actually beat duke this year. Yes nd crushed us once again and uva beat up on us. That’s good sign in my eyes. Also i didn’t expect gait or this coach staff to turn this program around in first year (mistake have been made and lack of changes so far seem to persist) but as much as teams new players n new coaches both are learning. Td being on staff think has def helped phaup a lot as he has been solid in every game mostly n really hasn’t gotten smoked like couple games last year. Yes def need to use more then him at times. As much as hate not making playoffs maby gait just knew didn’t have all the right pieces to make a deep run specially with hiltz out n other injuries and so is being brutally honest with the team (mostly in his pressers going off of). Still first year for everyone to get used to all the changes.

Yes wanna play younger guys and don’t wanna just run tuck and curry non stop but those guys are seniors (tuck be back) and maby want them to play as much as can as for after this year their done at cuse and they deserve to go out giving it their all and playing as much as they can or want. Sure more wins would been better but hey army smoked us and that was a game prob should of won but least wasn’t blown out. As said not happy with the year but this isn’t a one year and done thing. This is to get back to winning post season games and bringing cuse back to being feared as once was. If next year with talent we have coming in nothing changes (or don’t improve more from this year ) then yes would say maby start to be concerned. As stated would be happy if these last 3 games we go out and make them all a game if we win one awesome if lose all by goal or even overtime again will be upset still as any lost , but least didn’t get run off field just after game started like did last year. Lets go cuse always be fan and believe in this program

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom