Cornell Postgame Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Postgame Thoughts

JJ made some plays late, he deserves credit for that. Two buckets late (a driving layup and a huge foul-line jumper), and he battled for a couple of important rebounds late, as well.
Agree -- was just about to post this -- both were huge shots when Cornell was within 2 possessions. Also, the first one of those shots was when Mintz was still on the bench with the 4 fouls (and there was big offensive drought at the time).

I'm more than a little worried about the coaching. Zero basketball IQ, consistent really poor effort in transition and on defense, substitution decisions like leaving Quadir in when he got fouled, we look like a freaking AAU team on offense far too often... I could go on but I think my point gets across fine.

All of it was on display tonight and it's just hard for me to overlook it given how we perform against big boy basketball teams. I'm sure it'll get better but there are probably only 10 games left against tournament teams to build our resume.

Bell got his hands on a few passes tonight. But that pass at the end trying to protect the lead oh my.

the whole team looks asleep 75% of the game..

The D was better which was good because Cornell will back door you 100x .

not sure we have any offense except we at least took it to the basket after the half.

Not having a single player that can do anything down low makes it hard to score against better teams.
need to post up SOMEBODY...even if it is the guards...need to work it into the offense somehow

all of the players have weaknesses...red is trying to patch it together...but these guys all have key holes in their games top to bottom...even Judah.
This is true; this is why I wanted more rotation from Boeheim, when he had obviously limited players. Red has played them less, and gotten more from some of them.
for instance, Q has the turnovers but hes better on defense than bell, for example...there arent really many options to bench these guys...bc each of them can only do certain things...

so when red wants defense - Q is going to play - i agree he has to STOP the carelessness and brain farts. then again, that is part of the reason he is good...unpredictable and flashy...but needs to play smarter 100%
Yes, Q is this team's Josh Pace. Not a shooter, but a baller. Just play within yourself and make the easy play first.
re: cuffe / jj - cuffe didnt do much either...he always tries to dunk his rebounds instead of just getting the ball and then deciding what to do...and ends up missing a lot...his play hasnt really impressed tbh...even though i really like his game and prospects for the future...he currently doesnt hold a candle to the flawed JJ.
I think Cuffe is going to take some of JJ's minutes, and am surprised that he hasn't played a bit better the last couple games.
gotta wonder where that great defense the last 4 minutes is...most of the time...they are way too casual

if they played D like that every minute of every game...they would not have been blownout 3 times already this season...likely not even once...and this game wouldve been a blowout win.

no excuses.

i hope the stff can recruit some bball IQ next offseason.

Yes, I got mocked for saying they were great for 10 or 15 minutes against Virginia or Tennessee, but it's the truth. In spurts, these guys can be very, very good, especially when secondary shooters have their shots fall from 3. It makes everything easier for everybody.

We get more open shots when the forwards (and even the off guard) move more without the ball. We see that in spurts lately, but not consistently.

We need more effort on defense. Does anybody know if Hima is hurt, because if Benny is done and Chance isn't quite ready yet, we need Brown more at F, and Hima and Carey getting some time at the C so that Brown doesn't get worn down within a month and winds up injured from playing so many bigger guys.

Were not a good Defensive team, gonna be a problem all year unfortunately
For what it’s worth, coming into this game Cornell had the 56th best offense in the country (according to kenpom), and was > 1.05 points per possession in every game this year. Their strength has been in their shooting - #14 in eFG% and #2 in the nation shooting from inside the arc (63.7% from 2-pt range coming into the game!)

But tonight, we held them to 0.95 ppp (70 pts in 74 possessions) and just 40% overall from the floor (27% from 3-pt range and 53% from 2-pt range). Our defense was actually decent tonight.

I'm more than a little worried about the coaching. Zero basketball IQ, consistent really poor effort in transition and on defense, substitution decisions like leaving Quadir in when he got fouled, we look like a freaking AAU team on offense far too often... I could go on but I think my point gets across fine.

All of it was on display tonight and it's just hard for me to overlook it given how we perform against big boy basketball teams. I'm sure it'll get better but there are probably only 10 games left against tournament teams to build our resume.

Yes, they have to beat Georgetown, and they have to beat Pitt at home, or else we're not going anywhere this yer.

Really the 4-5 just so so dumb plays led to Cornell baskets that kept them in the game

Then the brain farts happen way to often.. Just simple plays to move your feet and Cornell would have been stymied but we just stand there and again easy layups

Only good thing was we at least tried to rebound on defense.. Offense is a lost cause.. No oven makes an effort to go to the basket.. awful
I hate it when our ovens don’t make an effort to go to the basket.

For what it’s worth, coming into this game Cornell had the 56th best offense in the country (according to kenpom), and was > 1.05 points per possession in every game this year. Their strength has been in their shooting - #14 in eFG% and #2 in the nation shooting from inside the arc (63.7% from 2-pt range coming into the game!)

But tonight, we held them to 0.95 ppp (70 pts in 74 possessions) and just 40% overall from the floor (27% from 3-pt range and 53% from 2-pt range). Our defense was actually decent tonight.
If anyone has a shot quality or synergy account here (I don't) I would love to know what their expected PPP was. They missed a ton of open looks in the first half and could never get over the hump that created.

Nice to be on this end of one of those games against a mid-major.

This is not a good defensive team. You can't give up so many easy baskets and offensive rebounds and beat good teams consistently. Red has some work to do here.
they are good defensively...other than the times they fall asleep at the wheel...(which is way too frequently)

on any given possession, they are either very good or very bad...no in-between

they also stop trying when they get down in some games

but if they can figure out the rotations and where to be...they are good at defense, mostly.

so, while they arent yet "good"...they are capable of becoming so. the potential is there.

which is different from previous years when the lack of athleticism was permanently insurmountable from day 1. this is different. although perhaps the lack of bball iq will also prove insurmountable as well...

Taylor with 15 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, no turnovers. Great game from him kudos for his work on the boards especially.
now he just needs to be able to do similar against p5 teams and he'll be a lock starter for the forseeable future

for now, hes a great mid major player. kills those types of teams.

Love the rebounds. The D is good too, but Maliq needs to be a presence on O.

It's easier for him to slip around other forwards than to out-muscle big men.

they are good defensively...other than the times they fall asleep at the wheel...(which is way too frequently)

but if they can figure out the rotations and where to be...they are good at defense, mostly.

so, while they arent yet "good"...they are capable of becoming so. the potential is there.

which is different from previous years when the lack of athleticism was permanently insurmountable from day 1. this is different. although perhaps the lack of bball iq will also prove insurmountable as well...
If you break down as often as they do, you're not a good defensive team. But yes, the potential to be good is there.

This is true; this is why I wanted more rotation from Boeheim, when he had obviously limited players. Red has played them less, and gotten more from some of them.

Yes, Q is this team's Josh Pace. Not a shooter, but a baller. Just play within yourself and make the easy play first.

I think Cuffe is going to take some of JJ's minutes, and am surprised that he hasn't played a bit better the last couple games.

Yes, I got mocked for saying they were great for 10 or 15 minutes against Virginia or Tennessee, but it's the truth. In spurts, these guys can be very, very good, especially when secondary shooters have their shots fall from 3. It makes everything easier for everybody.

We get more open shots when the forwards (and even the off guard) move more without the ball. We see that in spurts lately, but not consistently.

We need more effort on defense. Does anybody know if Hima is hurt, because if Benny is done and Chance isn't quite ready yet, we need Brown more at F, and Hima and Carey getting some time at the C so that Brown doesn't get worn down within a month and winds up injured from playing so many bigger guys.
me too im surprised about cuffe...his confidence has gone down

started the season ice cold (in a good way)

hard to stay on point when you arent getting any game time

he's a baller...but has been struggling, especially on offense

Good post. I agree with this. We have the potential to be a good team, both offensively and defensively, but the effort has to be greater, the movement better, and the players unselfish. Judah still only had 2 assists tonight. Not good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom