Could Carmelo win an NBA championship with the Chicago Bulls? | Syracusefan.com

Could Carmelo win an NBA championship with the Chicago Bulls?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
What with the recent behind the scenes recruiting Yakim Noah did at the NBA All Star game and hints that Rose wants him too could it be where Melo lands? Melo has stated that Rose is his sons favorite player.

Listen to Chris Broussard

I thought that was where he should have gone the first time, regardless of whatever pay cut he may have had to take. I thought he and Rose would have made a great duo, with a great supporting cast and a team with consistent great defense. If Rose can get and stay healthy, I would love to see how they would do together.

If Chris Bosh leaves Miami for Dallas like what I have heard and Derrick Rose is 85% of what he was in 2011 then yes the Bulls with Joakim Noah, Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose could win an NBA title or atleast the Eastern Conference. Tom Thibodeau is a good enough coach where he could have a defense hide Carmelo's defense with Noah or Taj Gibson anchoring the defense.

Indiana has Paul George and Roy Hibbert, but I don't think they would be better than Chicago's 3 w/Melo and if Miami lost Bosh I don't think Lebron and a Dwayne Wade who is losing some miles off his fastball due to health would be better.

we will never find out.

hes a Knick for life.

we will never find out.

hes a Knick for life.
Only reason he would stay with New York is he could get that 5th year from the Knicks and they could pay 23 million instead of 18 million he would get from someone else. Jimmy Dolan's inept leadership with the Knicks is starting to wear thin with Melo and if he went to Chicago or the Lakers the only 2 teams he would leave NY Knicks for he could make that lost revenue in endorsements in those huge markets. Melo isn't winning a championship if he stays with the NY Knicks their cap situation with Amare and Tyson Chandler means they won't be able to lure a 2nd all-star this off-season and Kevin Love the top 2015 FA is basically a Laker if he gets to FA and the only other team that could get Love is the Celtics because of all the assets they could offer Minnesota and if the C's got him he would have to sign an extension for that to happen.

If he took less to play with a healthy lineup of Rose, Butler, Melo, Gibson, Noah...absolutely. That team would be filthy. I think they would be the favorites to win the Championship regardless of what Lebron does.

2 problems with that however:

1) Rose could end up being Amare part 2. Melo knows far too well whats its like to play on a team with your supposed max-contract counterpart giving the team absolutely nothing.

2) To get Melo anywhere near the money he would want, they would have to trade Gibson.

That leaves Melo taking less, going to a team with a question mark Rose, Butler and Noah. Is that team that much better than what NY could give him, especially if NY snags Thibodeau (which is the real reason the Noah/Melo conversation took place).

If he took less to play with a healthy lineup of Rose, Butler, Melo, Gibson, Noah...absolutely. That team would be filthy. I think they would be the favorites to win the Championship regardless of what Lebron does.

2 problems with that however:

1) Rose could end up being Amare part 2. Melo knows far too well whats its like to play on a team with your supposed max-contract counterpart giving the team absolutely nothing.

2) To get Melo anywhere near the money he would want, they would have to trade Gibson.

That leaves Melo taking less, going to a team with a question mark Rose, Butler and Noah. Is that team that much better than what NY could give him, especially if NY snags Thibodeau (which is the real reason the Noah/Melo conversation took place).
The Bulls could amnesty Carlos Boozer and trade Mike Dunleavy and that would create enough cap space for Melo to sign for the 18 million he could make as a FA from a non-Knicks team. They wouldn't need to trade Gibson as well. I agree about your first point that is why I said Rose needs to be 85% of what he was when he won the MVP in 2011.

he doesnt opt out.

1 more year of bad Knick basketball. (what else is new)

and then when the Knicks have nobody under contract, we see who will sign with them, Melo included...and a new era begins.

I'm just going to keep banging the drum that I'd like to see Melo buck the trend and go to a team with a young nucleus and cap room like Philly, Utah, Orlando or Phoenix.

That said, given that it's a big city with some other name players and a good coach, I have to think Chicago is in play.

The Bulls very rarely pay the tax; could be an issue. But the Bulls would for sure be a contender if Rose comes back to anywhere close to where he used to be.

If Bosh leaves (which I don't know about), Miami will have some cap space to replace him as well.

I'm not sure I see Melo not opting out; doesn't he want to lock in the contract?

he doesnt opt out.

and then when the Knicks have nobody under contract, we see who will sign with them, Melo included...and a new era begins.
Melo already said hes not waiting until 2015. The Knicks will have to make moves this offseason. Maybe that just means hiring Thibodeau and some minor tweaks until the contracts come off the books but hes not staying in NY for a repeat of this year with these same cast of jokers.

The Bulls very rarely pay the tax; could be an issue. But the Bulls would for sure be a contender if Rose comes back to anywhere close to where he used to be.

If Bosh leaves (which I don't know about), Miami will have some cap space to replace him as well.

I'm not sure I see Melo not opting out; doesn't he want to lock in the contract?
Miami could definitely be a darkhorse. People in Miami have been talking about Bosh taking a max somewhere else while Miami brings in Melo to team up with Lebron. Its not like this thought isnt out there. The media hasnt picked up on it like Melo to LA or Chi-town but it would seem like a very "Pat Riley-Miami" thing to do to have Melo come to Miami and team up with Lebron for perhaps the greatest pairing of star power ever.

The media hasnt picked up on it like Melo to LA or Chi-town but it would seem like a very "Pat Riley-Miami" thing to do to have Melo come to Miami and team up with Lebron for perhaps the greatest pairing of star power ever.

I could see it happening, though I think maybe you are going a little overboard with that. The Lakers had 2 of the what, 6 or 7 best players of all time together for 6 or 7 years in the 80s. But point taken. Maybe Wade opts out and all 3 decide to take less money to make it work. Could happen.

he doesnt opt out.

Their is 0% chance he doesn't opt out. Mariano Rivera has a better chance to be on the New York Yankees opening day roster than Carmelo Anthony doesn't opt out. He can resign with the Knicks and BANK more money by opting out and resigning with the Knicks. They could pay 110% of his current salary and get his annual AAV to over 23 million per season and he could get a 5 years of that money guaranteed by opting out.

The Knicks have Amare and Tyson Chandler's contracts till 2015 when Rondo and Love are the best FAs. Rondo is getting moved this offseason and whomever trades for him is going to sign to max or near max deal. Kevin Love is going to be a Laker 80% likely or Celtic.

James Dolan's rep is KILLING the Knicks brand. They have no first round pick this year and 2016 first round pick will go Toronto and besides Tim Hardaway Jr. no young pieces to deal.

Melo isn't winning a Championship with the Knicks. Once they resign him if they do they won't be able to afford 2 max guys additional only 1 at most and Rondo/Anthony/Hardaway Jr. isn't a championship team. Melo would have to take less than 23 million per year from NYK to afford two max guys and he isn't going to take less money to struggle for the next 2 years for a miracle chance at Love/Rondo.

I can't see Melo working well with Rose. What makes Lebron and the Heat work so well is James was never really a "scorer" in the Durant and Melo mold.

If the Heat thinks Lebron isn't going to want the absolute max from that team if resigns with them your crazy. Brian McCain signed for money with Yankees than Lebron signed for with the Heat in 2010. Lebron is going to want to the absolute max and he deserves it. If Bosh left Miami they wouldn't have the cap space to sign Melo to a deal near Bosh's because Miami lose Bosh's Bird rights and Miami wouldn't be 15 million under the cap and Melo wouldn't take 10-12 million to sign with Miami if Bosh went to Dallas as I have heard.

Melo is going to be a Knick, Bull, or if Kobe lobbies the crap out of Melo a Laker.

I could see it happening, though I think maybe you are going a little overboard with that. The Lakers had 2 of the what, 6 or 7 best players of all time together for 6 or 7 years in the 80s. But point taken. Maybe Wade opts out and all 3 decide to take less money to make it work. Could happen.
The sports media and following isnt what it is now. I think Lebron and Melo would be absolutely ridiculous exposure wise, although Melo with a contending team vs Lebron could be even more fun.

Their is 0% chance he doesn't opt out. Mariano Rivera has a better chance to be on the New York Yankees opening day roster than Carmelo Anthony doesn't opt out. He can resign with the Knicks and BANK more money by opting out and resigning with the Knicks. They could pay 110% of his current salary and get his annual AAV to over 23 million per season and he could get a 5 years of that money guaranteed by opting out.

The Knicks have Amare and Tyson Chandler's contracts till 2015 when Rondo and Love are the best FAs. Rondo is getting moved this offseason and whomever trades for him is going to sign to max or near max deal. Kevin Love is going to be a Laker 80% likely or Celtic.

James Dolan's rep is KILLING the Knicks brand. They have no first round pick this year and 2016 first round pick will go Toronto and besides Tim Hardaway Jr. no young pieces to deal.

Melo isn't winning a Championship with the Knicks. Once they resign him if they do they won't be able to afford 2 max guys additional only 1 at most and Rondo/Anthony/Hardaway Jr. isn't a championship team. Melo would have to take less than 23 million per year from NYK to afford two max guys and he isn't going to take less money to struggle for the next 2 years for a miracle chance at Love/Rondo.
Still cant believe the Knicks turned down a first from OKC for Shumpert.

If Durant hasn't won a title in OKC yet what in the world would make one think Melo is gonna win one in Chicago

If it was just Melo and Lebron (with Wade and Bosh out) i don't think it would be any different, maybe a little less, than the original Big 3 in Miami.

Shumpert has really fallen off; if you told me 2 years ago we could have gotten liek the 28th pick for him I would have said no way.

youre assuming that he wants max bank.

i appreciate you calling him a liar, but i will hold him accountable for saying he wants to stay and will take less to get a team that can win there, just like lebron.

i proposed 1 scenario where that could happen. if thats the one, it also give the Knicks an ability to trade him if sheet really hits the fan.

I agree, I think he stays, they suck again next year and then Melo has a few years after that to win one.

I really like to see him on the Bulls though, they have a great supporting cast, play hard and if Rose comes back with Melo, pretty solid squad but I think Melo stays

Shumpert's MRI at the trade deadline probably caused the Thunder to withdraw that deal, but Shumpert isn't anything more than a rotation guy for a good team. If I was the Knicks unless I was convinced he wouldn't be healthy he wouldn't be worth the 28th-30th pick in the draft.
The Knicks were going to trade Shumpert to the Clippers for Darren Collinson before Shumpert got hurt.