Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

TheCusian said:
I think your right big picture. But there's no arguing that short term it hurts the perception of the school and is disruptive in terms of progress with a competent athletic dept that needs desperately to string together a bunch of years of competency.

The only thing people outside real serious insiders see about our Athletic Department is that it produces high profile wins. If that isn't the mark of a superficially competent athletic department, I'm not sure what is.

The sausage making stuff doesn't matter to 99% of the people who follow college sports. No one outside of conference die hard worries about a B1G school overpaying for an athletic director that they "stole" from an ACC school. And honestly, a public university in the midst of a spending scandal involving its basketball coach and whole athletic department overspending for an administrative position AND agreeing to an additional $500,000 contract buyout is a ridiculous waste of resources. Good on Minnesota if they want to pay that much for an administrative position. We're the party that made money off this deal.

I imagine we'll begin a search shortly as we already have the foundation laid from less than a year ago.

I think your right big picture. But there's no arguing that short term it hurts the perception of the school and is disruptive in terms of progress with a competent athletic dept that needs desperately to string together a bunch of years of competency.

You mean the department that is having it's best competitive year ever? That level of incompetency?

You mean the incompetent department that was universally lauded for the Babers hire?

What exactly is it disrupting?

Orangeinjersey
In this day and age, there is no way to handle it well. There's an old cliche, "its not personal, it's business". A lot of folks on this board take everything so personal. He took a job, and stayed for almost a year. Decided he could do better. For whatever reason, pay, hated the area, hated the people he was working with etc. I dont get why this board gets so emotional about people leaving for what they perceive to be greener pastures.

I guarantee you EVERYONE in this board would leave their current job for a competitor if they got a 20% plus raise. Every single one.

I turned down much more than a lousy 20% to keep my word and commitment. And I did more than once. I valued my word more than that. In the long run it paid me back in spades. It is not easy to have the character of your convictions, but in the end you have to live with yourself.

So that is at least three people who have said they at least might not take the money...So I guess his guarantee about EVERYONE is inaccurate...

How about this for a can of worms - how come on the Football Board we have the more serious discussions about SU sports than the Basketball Board :confused:?

So, what you are saying is that Herm Frazier is not in charge of scheduling for football? Or are you saying that he is in charge and does a good job at it?

You do know he was bought out and booted out of Hawaii right?

Well, if the latter is the case, we need to nuke all the threads complaining about how long it takes and who/how we schedule our games. Most schools have games scheduled 3,4,5 years out and we don't even have a solidified schedule for 2017 yet.
I think what he is saying is that the Frazier people are mentioning is Sean Frazier, the AD at N. Illinois, and not Herm Frazier.

I think it's much to do about nothing, I really do. People get so worked up about some suit who doesn't coach a GD thing. I am fan, sure I donate, etc but I don't care who the AD is at SU, I just don't. Like I said, Chancellor isn't going to hire some incompetent boob or allow frivolous spending as the case with Gross. This time, somebody who wants to be at Syracuse would be a better hire.

I think saying it hurts the perception of the school just seems odd to me. It's news for a day and then it will be over. I don't follow the AD hires. We have really good coaches in almost every area, job done. I'm not going to worry about Syracuse finances, why would I? Again, this won't effect on field performance one bit.

You mean the department that is having it's best competitive year ever? That level of incompetency?

You mean the incompetent department that was universally lauded for the Babers hire?

What exactly is it disrupting?

I think he's worried about Coyle not filing his TPS reports correctly. Geeze.

Good summary. Things happen for a reason.

#1. However, $850,000 > $330,000 (CuseOnly says Coyle was making $575k for a $275k increase - still that is $23k more per month and $1.4 million over 5 years). That's an easy decision for Coyle especially if he worked at Minny before and knows many of the people there. I fully expect he will make better $$$ offers and take his people from here to Minny.

#2. Chancellor realizes a P5 AD worth his salt needs to be paid more than $330k (if $575k then that's competitive). AND thumbs down for Pete Sala (I know and like him) - he is a behind the scenes guy already making good money and doing what he's comfortable with. Being an AD is outside of his comfort zone.

#3. If my info is correct on Babers and he's making $2.4 million plus incentives with a 6 year contract, we are very competitive on that front. No worries here.

#4. Most important. The new AD needs more freedom to make changes, especially staffing changes. I think Coyle couldn't hire positions of need and especially was told he had to keep some deadweight for political reasons and you cannot tie a new AD hands like that. Moving Hicks versus removing Hicks is a perfect example. To fix, SUAD needs a cleansing from top to bottom.

Time to move on and let's hope the Chancellor fixes this soon with another home run with an even better hire than Coyle.
I agree on all points but would question a bit on 4 - he had no trouble getting his peeps from Boise hired (before leaving them here)>

So, what you are saying is that Herm Frazier is not in charge of scheduling for football? Or are you saying that he is in charge and does a good job at it?

You do know he was bought out and booted out of Hawaii right?

Well, if the latter is the case, we need to nuke all the threads complaining about how long it takes and who/how we schedule our games. Most schools have games scheduled 3,4,5 years out and we don't even have a solidified schedule for 2017 yet.

I know Herman Frazier personally.

I know a lot more about him I suspect than you do.

And, I am pretty sure I know more about what he does and what he has done in terms of scheduling.

And based upon what I know, I think he has done a very good job.

And, I am pretty sure I know more about what he does and what he has done in terms of scheduling.

I know him a little bit...and what I do know now about him he was instrumental in getting Dino Babers to consider coming to Syracuse and lined up all the right people to call or meet him. And he's a very good person too...nuff said.

What would you point to being the reason for all the scheduling issues?

Huh? I don't think he was making the same salary here as he was at Boise. There's not a lot of difference between the two schools (aside that we're better in most sports).

Let's just say the increase from Boise to SU was not small.

No mention of Coyle's family issues from the President of the Univ or Coyle. Very rosy intro.

The Gophers have announced the hire, with a five-year contract paying Coyle $850,000 annually.
Search firms really cashing in on Coyle. Probably a 300k raise?

View attachment 63224

That says it all. Definitely about the money. That's quite the hike from his current salary.

NKR1978 said:
The only thing people outside real serious insiders see about our Athletic Department is that it produces high profile wins. If that isn't the mark of a superficially competent athletic department, I'm not sure what is. The sausage making stuff doesn't matter to 99% of the people who follow college sports. No one outside of conference die hard worries about a B1G school overpaying for an athletic director that they "stole" from an ACC school. And honestly, a public university in the midst of a spending scandal involving its basketball coach and whole athletic department overspending for an administrative position AND agreeing to an additional $500,000 contract buyout is a ridiculous waste of resources. Good on Minnesota if they want to pay that much for an administrative position. We're the party that made money off this deal. I imagine we'll begin a search shortly as we already have the foundation laid from less than a year ago.

Nothing you wrote is at odds with what I wrote. I didn't specify whose perception would be lessened. Big media types took notice on the Twitter, I'm sure our ACC brethren had a few raised eyebrows at the meeting he skipped yesterday, and other ADs (some of which might be on the potential list) all probably had a collective "huh? Wonder what's happening up there?"

Making a 100k and hitting reset isn't the victory (short term) that you're describing. We'll be fine long term. But the duration of his time here and how he left was not a positive.

GoSU96 said:
You mean the department that is having it's best competitive year ever? That level of incompetency? You mean the incompetent department that was universally lauded for the Babers hire? What exactly is it disrupting?

Usually hiring the head of a multi-million dollar department followed by all of "his people" and instituting his policies takes some time to undo. It's a giant ocean liner that was starting to turn - the next AD may want to turn it in another direction. Disruption.

And no one outside of the Golden Rodents press conference is giving him an ounce of credit for our most competitive year. That goes to Gross and the coaches/players.

IthacaBarrel said:
I think it's much to do about nothing, I really do. People get so worked up about some suit who doesn't coach a GD thing. I am fan, sure I donate, etc but I don't care who the AD is at SU, I just don't. Like I said, Chancellor isn't going to hire some incompetent boob or allow frivolous spending as the case with Gross. This time, somebody who wants to be at Syracuse would be a better hire. I think saying it hurts the perception of the school just seems odd to me. It's news for a day and then it will be over. I don't follow the AD hires. We have really good coaches in almost every area, job done. I'm not going to worry about Syracuse finances, why would I? Again, this won't effect on field performance one bit.

Let's dig up the thread when the dude was hired. Seemed a big deal at the time. But what the hey - lets get any old guy in a suit to do it. How hard can it be?

Again - perception isn't limited to fans, who I agree could give a rats arse.

Let's dig up the thread when the dude was hired. Seemed a big deal at the time. But what the hey - lets get any old guy in a suit to do it. How hard can it be?

Again - perception isn't limited to fans, who I agree could give a rats arse.

Take 7-8 candidates and hire the best, AGAIN. It's not hard, hard is trying to hire somebody when you don't have an ample number of applicants. This isn't that situation. I admit I liked the hire when they hired him, much like I most likely will like the next one but other than hiring babers and firing shafer I don't want to hear about the AD. It sounds like Coyle handles his tough business like a bit of a weasel as well. Being an AD isn't as tough as Babers job will be

Perception will be coming to an end in a day or two.. That's it

When I was in school there actually was a small fire in our frat house which made the local paper. The number of term papers lost was inordinately high. Really really high.
How'bout dem degrees?

TheCusian said:
Usually hiring the head of a multi-million dollar department followed by all of "his people" and instituting his policies takes some time to undo. It's a giant ocean liner that was starting to turn - the next AD may want to turn it in another direction. Disruption.

And no one outside of the Golden Rodents press conference is giving him an ounce of credit for our most competitive year. That goes to Gross and the coaches/players.

Gross was anything but perfect, but his vision for Syracuse came true over the last few years. And even 5 years ago the success we've had would have seemed crazy. Soccer winning the ACC and going to the Final Four?! Women's basketball in the national championship game?! Crazy stuff.