Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

The timing could hardly be worse. The FB program is struggling. The bB coach was suspended and over 100 games vacated. We're coming off a lengthy NCAA investigation with continuing probation and sanctions. To add to those challenges, the institution is on the verge of a new campus master plan and (with any luck) major Dome renovation.

Yah, I'd say we need an AD who can actually DO HIS JOB.

Huh? FB team has a shiny new coach, system, and new IPF.
BB coach just led his team to a surprise Final Four. As did the women's coach, whose team played in the NC game.
We had 2 teams win National Championships this current academic year.
And both Lax teams are in the NCAA tournament again.
It is quite literally one of the best overall years for athletic success in Syracuse history.

The new campus master plan and (assumed) major Dome renovations are GOOD things.

Talk about "glass half-empty". Sheesh.

Oh, and GEORGETOWN STILL SUCKS. :D

BB coach just led his team to a surprise Final Four. As did the women's coach, whose team played in the NC game.
It is quite literally one of the best overall years for athletic success in Syracuse history.

The new campus master plan and (assumed) major Dome renovations are GOOD things.

All true .. and yes there's reason for optimism. The new programs are fantastic. However, as to what COYLE was brought here to do .. he accomplished nothing after the Babers hire. I'm thankful for coach Babers. Unlike Coyle, he's the real deal and I think the programs going in the right direction. All that said, our public image has suffered lately and the last thing we needed was to get pissed on by our own AD.

Last edited:

All those things and the AD was looking for an exit within months of taking the job. Something stinks.

My boys, 9 and 6, prefer the under armour brand to Nike, and it's not even close. UA is doing something right.

They sure are. Tide might be turning, especially as those kids get older.

I tend to think about it from a basketball perspective first as I coach and play quite a bit. The only people i ever see playing in UA are younger kids wearing Curry's(which are incredibly popular right now) or old guys wearing a pair of UA they picked up at Marshalls for $40. Nike is by far the dominant brand worn on the court from high school on up.

But again, that could change in another 5-10 years as these young kids grow up. We'll see though. Reebok had a run when Iverson was really popular, but that didnt last. Nobody else has ever really challenged Nike on the court since Jordan took off.

I'm all for tradition, but I don't think Nike cares about the branding of our football team. We are always behind in getting new uniforms and never have anything "cutting" edge. Sure wearing Nike's playing Basketball might be important to some kids, but I really don't pay that close attention to Basketball.

It certainly matters in hoops though, and that's what we are best known for with most, right now.

I think we've tried to do too much with the football uniforms. The 2012 ones were pretty nice. I wish we stuck with that.

A friend on the hill said it is many issues, but one was that he was intent on hiring some of his former colleagues in brand new high level positions, and Syverud said 'no'. Coyle was upset with that answer, and was looking for a situation that would work since that time.

I'm passing along second hand info, so take it for what it's worth. It does fit the narrative that the chancellor wanted to make the athletic department (along with other departments on campus) a bit more trim.
I agree with Syverud. Why create new Athletic Dept. administrative positions when our football team needs any surplus resources that might exist? We have other needs. Our physics Department is becoming prestigious. We need to take advantage of their accomplishments. Our football team has to improve for there to be more athletic revenue and most of that new revenue should be reinvested in football. Our priority has to be revival of the football program. In addition, JB is underpaid. What if we need to increase basketball pay in the future? He could have had patience and make hires as slots become available. I wonder if the Golphers will let him create new positions for his friends. I doubt it. That means that he left because he did not get his way. Good riddance. I was always skeptical about his very short tenure as Boise AD. We did not do a good job of vetting but then again it is not so easy to get info due to both legalities and hidden agendas. IMO, Boise was comparable enough to Syracuse to wonder why he wanted out after such a short tenure. Everyone on the forum and our own administration ignored these concerns. Wearing orange glasses it looks like Syracuse is a big step up from Boise. Take off the glasses; Boise is not chopped meat.

Last edited:
I'm not against Pete getting the job and I have no idea if it would be a good fit as a permanent hire. But, the timing might not be that good. Right now, Pete is in front of all the campus renovations including the Dome but also including the renos and upgrades to other buildings and sites on campus. He's knee deep in that and it just might be harder to replace him in that role than replacing the AD.
That is exactly why Pete won't get it. He is way too involved in what is going on and from what I've been told, we are going to learn about sone of that next week.

If you decide to leave a job it is customary in the business world to give two weeks notice! In academic jobs, you have to give much more time - say at least one semester. We did have one foreign national in an academic job who pulled a Coyle on us, but he had already been with us about three years.

The fact that Coyle couldn't/wouldn't come up with a last minute excuse yesterday so that someone else could attend the ACC meetings today is simply inexcusable.

It's really not that hard... arrange for an alternate to head to the meetings, once the UM deal is arranged schedule an emergency meeting at Manley (or teleconference, if still in MN) for all staffers, shortly before the meeting call Kent, immediately after the meeting contact staffers that couldn't attend the meeting (starting with JAB, Dino and the staffer at the ACC meetings). He supposedly did none of those things... probably had his agent contact SU.

rrlbees said:
He was looking to leave and has been. If Minny hadn't been available it would have been somewhere else.

That's the part that doesn't add up to me. If he was so unhappy and just looking to get out, why was the rest of the Athletic Department so surprised by the news. Not a one of them, even Cunningham, expected this at any moment?

He quit on us, so he can join that prestigious club of people never coming to my kitchen, but I'm not buying that this is because SU, in its current state, is some flawed job. Some lucky AD is about to land a great opportunity that he never thought would be available this soon.

The fact that Coyle couldn't/wouldn't come up with a last minute excuse yesterday so that someone else could attend the ACC meetings today is simply inexcusable.

It's really not that hard... arrange for an alternate to head to the meetings, once the UM deal is arranged schedule an emergency meeting at Manley (or teleconference, if still in MN) for all staffers, shortly before the meeting call Kent, immediately after the meeting contact staffers that couldn't attend the meeting (starting with JAB, Dino and the staffer at the ACC meetings). He supposedly did none of those things... probably had his agent contact SU.
Sounds like he checked out a long time ago. :noidea:

Cunningham didn't know a thing. None of the Boise people did. He told no one and did all his interviews by phone.
I'm sure he had plenty of time, since he hasn't done much but sniff around for more money since he hired Babers. This morning, the "SU" chair at the ACC conference meeting was empty b/c Mr. "truth" and "stability" was busy lining his pockets with the B1G.

That's the part that doesn't add up to me. If he was so unhappy and just looking to get out, why was the rest of the Athletic Department so surprised by the news. Not a one of them, even Cunningham, expected this at any moment?

He quit on us, so he can join that prestigious club of people never coming to my kitchen, but I'm not buying that this is because SU, in its current state, is some flawed job. Some lucky AD is about to land a great opportunity that he never thought would be available this soon.

Is that you, Mr. Claven?

image-1400961529.jpg
image-1400961529.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Good points. None of it makes sense except Minnesota's paying him more money. That was apparently Coyle's goal all along or he would never have left under such ignominious circumstances. I don't buy the stuff about his "staff" ... there wasn't enough time for him to get "frustrated" in 10 months. He's just greedy and selfish and probably kept to himself so no one would realize he was sniffing money the whole time.

If all his Boise people are mad at him, perhaps they won't want to follow him to Minny.
The concern for the Boise people is--will the new AD want to retain me?

The way these people were treated--convinced to follow Coyle across country, and then left hanging as the boss heads out the door--is the real shame of this whole situation. It's been mentioned more than once in this thread that this is simply "business as usual". I sure as hell hope not.

Good points. None of it makes sense except they're paying him more money and that was apparently his goal all along. I don't buy the stuff about his "staff". I think he's just greedy and selfish. He probably kept to himself so no one would realize the only thing he was working on was his wallet.
Maybe he and the Mrs. liked MSP better than SYR. As has been said many times in this thread, it's not the fact that he bolted, it's how he bolted.

The concern for the Boise people is--will the new AD want to retain me?

The way these people were treated--convinced to follow Coyle across country, and then left hanging as the boss heads out the door--is the real shame of this whole situation. It's been mentioned more than once in this thread that this is simply "business as usual". I sure as hell hope not.
Lots of victims and casualties here: his own reputation (chit); SU fans; his c0-hires; the AD that he was supposed to turn around; the improvements to compliance; guidance through the rest of probation; the student athletes he was supposed to support; and the institution that believed in him and paid him to represent their interests in the ACC.

The only thing good about it is that he'll be far, far away and we'll move onto better things.

Maybe he and the Mrs. liked MSP better than SYR. As has been said many times in this thread, it's not the fact that he bolted, it's how he bolted.
Nothing personal to you, but I could care less what City he and his wife like and it MOST CERTAINLY IS about his bolting. Barely 10 months ago, he looked the SU community in the eye and said he cared about us, about the students, about the University .. that he stood for "truth" and "stability". Those were his words. lol. All garbage. There's no way anyone with sincere intentions to accomplish all the goals HE laid out could leave so quickly ... unless it was his plan pretty much the whole time.

After the Baber's hire, all he did was sniff the B1G for a better paycheck. We need to fumigate his office and hire someone who actually believes what he says.

Last edited:
Maybe the next hire for this position will kill the two consecutive losers that were hired. I give Gross one and only one significant do-right and thats the ACC. He was also responsible for GROB and that alone should have got him fired. Coyle never wanted to be here and thats clear now. Maybe the next man up will seriously look at SU and baseball. Coyle wanted back to Minnesota and now he is presumably happy. Good riddance!