Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

Coyle is a sneaky bastard in the way we hired him also. I will not get into how I know,but Coyle's name never came up in the H.R. dept. when they were vetting other candidates. I was told only two people were negotiating with Coyle when we hired and the H.R. dept. first heard the news the day the press announced him.
That's on SU, not Coyle.

Like this...
To view this email as a web page, go here.
New+FB+header.png

MyCuse Account:

We are grateful for your support of Syracuse Athletics! In thanks for that support, through your season ticket purchase and/or Orange Club donation, we have a special pre-sale opportunity to ensure you have the access to the best single game seats for our home football games. Please follow the directions below to order your tickets for individual football games at discounts up to 20% off the general public single game price!

The general public on-sale starts June 21, giving you a one-month advantage due to your loyalty and support. This opportunity will be available on your MyCuse account starting Tuesday, May 24 at 10:00 am through 10:00 pm on Friday, June 10, 2016.

To order tickets:

• Log into your MyCuse Account, click on "Buy Packages/Tickets" near the top, then choose thehome game(s) you are interested in (please use the Shopping Cart feature for multiple games).

• Buy in person at the Carrier Dome Box Office (business hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, M-F).

• For disability seating or special requests, please contact the box office (888-DOMETIX, press option "zero").
Thank you for your continued support of Syracuse University Athletics!

Sincerely,The Carrier Dome Box Office

you forgot to include your MyCuse account number. How are we supposed to log on now?

After 2 days of anger and why, why, why; I am good now. He was an imposter that showed his hand. We need a guy that bleeds orange. I live in the albany area and appreciate all that upstate has to offer as a new AD should along with the Cuse area and the finger lakes. We have a beautiful campus, awesome Olympic sports, hoops, and Dino in place for football. All you need to do as the new guy is understand marketing, the ACC and potential P5 realignment, and Dinos requests to recruit and get back into the top 25! Go Cuse! We are good!

He was looking. His agent was putting his name out there.

Not directed at you, but your post is a springboard.

I do get the anger at the guy. However, I believe there are other things we should be focusing on in this mess. One of the key questions is why was he was looking? In coming into a situation that you knew had significant real issues (NCAA, budget, etc.) , what did Mark learn that caused him, almost force him, to go elsewhere? If as rumors have it, his name was out there for jobs other than Minny, the answer to that question is critical to moving forward and finding the next great SU AD.

After 2 days of anger and why, why, why; I am good now. He was an imposter that showed his hand. We need a guy that bleeds orange. I live in the albany area and appreciate all that upstate has to offer as a new AD should along with the Cuse area and the finger lakes. We have a beautiful campus, awesome Olympic sports, hoops, and Dino in place for football. All you need to do as the new guy is understand marketing, the ACC and potential P5 realignment, and Dinos requests to recruit and get back into the top 25! Go Cuse! We are good!

Not to single you out, especially when you have "recovered," but the hand-wringing, acrimony and mean spiritedness directed toward Coyle in this thread is completely irrational. He took the SU job with the best of intentions but unfortunately for SU and fortunately for him the Minnesota job came open several months after he had accepted the SU job. Had he been offered both at the same time he would clearly have taken the Minnesota job. He has a history with the school, the midwest is where he wants to be because of family, and they gave him a raise. He made a personal decision just as much if not more than a business decision and both he and Minnesota acknowledged the regrettable timing. Coyle had nothing but complimentary things to say about Syverud and SU and Minnesota is paying the 500K buyout fee without challenge. He did an excellent job while he was at SU. He dismissed Shafer, hired a promising football coach and staff, and created an open dialogue with coaches, players and students as acknowledged by a number of people, including Floyd, Desko, and Boeheim. I think he might have handled the ACC meetings a little better but he was in a delicate position and negotiations at such a high level are never complete until they are complete. Why shouldn't the prevailing mood just be to thank him for his service, wish the guy luck, and trust Kent to find a replacement with a similar array of talents?

Orangeinjersey
In this day and age, there is no way to handle it well. There's an old cliche, "its not personal, it's business". A lot of folks on this board take everything so personal. He took a job, and stayed for almost a year. Decided he could do better. For whatever reason, pay, hated the area, hated the people he was working with etc. I dont get why this board gets so emotional about people leaving for what they perceive to be greener pastures.

I guarantee you EVERYONE in this board would leave their current job for a competitor if they got a 20% plus raise. Every single one.

I turned down much more than a lousy 20% to keep my word and commitment. And I did more than once. I valued my word more than that. In the long run it paid me back in spades. It is not easy to have the character of your convictions, but in the end you have to live with yourself.
I'm absolutely convinced of your stellar character Crusty. Mrs Crusty wouldn't be with you otherwise.

Not to single you out, especially when you have "recovered," but the hand-wringing, acrimony and mean spiritedness directed toward Coyle in this thread is completely irrational. He took the SU job with the best of intentions but unfortunately for SU and fortunately for him the Minnesota job came open several months after he had accepted the SU job. Had he been offered both at the same time he would clearly have taken the Minnesota job. He has a history with the school, the midwest is where he wants to be because of family, and they gave him a raise. He made a personal decision just as much if not more than a business decision and both he and Minnesota acknowledged the regrettable timing. Coyle had nothing but complimentary things to say about Syverud and SU and Minnesota is paying the 500K buyout fee without challenge. He did an excellent job while he was at SU. He dismissed Shafer, hired a promising football coach and staff, and created an open dialogue with coaches, players and students as acknowledged by a number of people, including Floyd, Desko, and Boeheim. I think he might have handled the ACC meetings a little better but he was in a delicate position and negotiations at such a high level are never complete until they are complete. Why shouldn't the prevailing mood just be to thank him for his service, wish the guy luck, and trust Kent to find a replacement with a similar array of talents?
The ACC AD meeting was delayed because he wasn't there. Not only was he not at the meeting but he was in Minnesota getting ready for a press conference announcing him as their AD. He blindsided Boeheim, Babers, and I would imagine countless others. He basically gave the same speech about transparency that he gave here 11 months ago while disappearing from Syracuse in the night. For all the Gross has gotten (some of which is much deserved) Coyle basically made one good hire (after his first two terrible choices fell through) and rode Gross' coattails to the greatest athletic year in SU history and a big pay raise for himself.

If nothing else, we should all be impressed with him for coming here for 11 months, doing little, and getting a pay bump of approx $5,800 a week in Minny.

RoofBeam said:

That's a lot of words and not one of them actually speaks to what most of us were talking about. It's how he left. Really unprofessional and it didn't give the school time to manage it cleanly.

RoofBeam said:

I don't blame the guy for taking the Minnesota job one bit but he handled it like a jackass. For him to up and leave in the middle of the night like the Cleveland Browns, completely blindside everyone and make SU look like a complete shite show to its conference peers is not how a professional handles business. Especially when that school gave him a tremendous raise and opportunity less than a year ago.

In an executive search using an outside consultant and legal counsel and one in which secrecy is key, I don't believe this abnormal.
Yeah,but Minny did release three names before hiring Coyle....

Sooo

What are the odds we face Minnesota in a bowl game this year?

Coyle is a sneaky bastard in the way we hired him also. I will not get into how I know,but Coyle's name never came up in the H.R. dept. when they were vetting other candidates. I was told only two people were negotiating with Coyle when we hired and the H.R. dept. first heard the news the day the press announced him.

Minnesota will never be safe if a real job opens up in the near future.

In my new job only two people knew about my hire:

HR found about me on day 3 ...

But I gave my former employer two weeks notice, so there is that

Last edited:
That's a lot of words and not one of them actually speaks to what most of us were talking about. It's how he left. Really unprofessional and it didn't give the school time to manage it cleanly.

Getting worked up about how he left is pointless.

You have absolutely no idea what Syverud knew and when he knew it and that is the only person Coyle reports to...Plus, what is there to manage, some Nancys who feel offended because Coyle failed to write them personal letters 3 months in advance letting him know his deepest thoughts about his professional life? Coyle gets it. The timing is regrettable. He apologized publicly and praised SU. This is still sort of America where some people actually work hard, are recognized for doing a good job, and leverage their effort into improving their lives and the lives of their families.

Last edited:

And we can all presume you can confirm this due to your personal relationship and first hand knowledge of same? With all due respect, it has been suggested that as short as two months after taking his "best of intentions" position with SU, he was already laying the groundwork to get out.

You have absolutely no idea what Syverud knew and when he knew it and that is the only person Coyle reports to...Plus, what is there to manage, some Nancys who feel offended because Coyle failed to write them personal letters 3 months in advance letting him know his deepest thoughts about his professional life? Coyle gets it. The timing is regrettable. He apologized publicly and praised SU. This is still sort of America where some people actually work hard, are recognized for doing a good job, and leverage their effort into improving their lives and the lives of their families.
Coyle may live to regret this decision. MN is no easy lift and he could well be out before he knows it. If that happens university presidents will think twice before relying on his "commitment". Coyle got short-term greedy, just like someone else we know. That will follow him the rest of his career. We'll see if he gets lucky or not.

BTW, I notice that Syverud had a very short announcement, absent any praise. Just a "we wish him well". Looks like one influential bridge burned right there.

And we can all presume you can confirm this due to your personal relationship and first hand knowledge of same? With all due respect, it has been suggested that as short as two months after taking his "best of intentions" position with SU, he was already laying the groundwork to get out.

As I pointed out in my original post, the game changed when the Minnesota job came open and I believe that was about two months into Coyle's tenure. Nothing mysterious here.