Craft, just sayin' | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Craft, just sayin'

Aaron Craft is a real gamer. A gym rat if you eill. He won't wow you with athleticism but he is sneaky athletic. He just loves the game of basketball. When he's out there is like having another coach on the floor. he's just really scrappy and heady. Also his dad was a coach.

Aaron Craft is a real gamer. A gym rat if you eill. He won't wow you with athleticism but he is sneaky athletic. He just loves the game of basketball. When he's out there is like having another coach on the floor. he's just really scrappy and heady. Also his dad was a coach.

And this makes it ok to get away with fouling and traveling? Maybe I should hit the gym and head to the clubs, Im heady too

Okay, enough with the whining about Craft. I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but here goes: (and I've copied this over from the other thread ("that was ugly ...) about him. Probably shouldn't do it, but what the heck. Y'all need to just stop.)

"Didn't see the game, just read through the thread. And not trying to pick a fight with anyone. There are a few points that deserve to be made about officials.

First, the team that plays better "gets" more calls. Believe it. I've reffed for over 20 years, including several at the college level, and that's true 99.5% of the time. Yes, refs are not always right, and kick calls sometimes. You should see some of the situation film clips we use to teach things like block/charge, off-ball coverage, etc. Incidentally, for my money Ed Hightower - whom I've met - is a train wreck, so we all see some things differently.

Second, if you're watching a game on TV or even live from 10 rows up, you see a different game than the refs do. And there's no replay for them - except in prescribed circumstances that haven't been totally figured out yet. But that's not a bad thing always, because they don't have idiot announcers in their ears, like we all do when watching games on the tube. And know this, most announcers don't know , so stop listening to them when they say stupid things. Especially about rules. As well, (edit) ignore take with a grain of salt those sitting at courtside, who don't move and get screened off all the time.

Which brings me to the third point. I've watched games on TV while hanging in an SU fan board chatroom - no, not here - and seen what I thought were the right calls, only to read a stream of howling over how we're getting boned by the refs. And not just once in a while, either. So I have this to offer: When I was a player I used to think, "I can do better than that. Anyone can." So if you think you can do better, by all means get out and do it. There aren't enough of us. But be prepared for a humbling like nothing you've ever experienced. And if you make it past that, and become an actual R, be prepared for seasons of enjoyment doing something that very few can do at all, let alone do well.

PS: I coached at my HS for many years also. And if anyone thinks there's even a single coach in America who wouldn't love to have Aaron Craft or even a couple of him, you're watching the wrong game. Have fun. Peace out. :)"

he pretty much threw his entire body at Jerian Grant and then had the audacity to act as though he expected not to be called for the foul.
For anyone who watched that play, and who has any appreciation for the sport of basketball, and still tries to extol the virtues of Craft… well, just not sure what to say to you then

I would feel embarrassed to have a player like Craft honestly. Devo was disliked because of his antics and perceived attitude not because he got away with murder while playing. Craft is beloved by the media and allowed to play this way because he is White. There I said it, and I feel strongly that I am right.

Craft and the way he is officiated make be dislike college hoops.

Doesn't Craft have like a 3.9 GPA? Not sure that he'd embarrass any program, even if the opposition can't stand him. I'd have no problem with him in Orange.

ESPN loves them an over-hyped white guy. There's only one exception and that's Robert Griffin, and even ESPN's Rob Parker said he may as well be a white man.

"Didn't see the game, just read through the thread. And not trying to pick a fight with anyone. There are a few points that deserve to be made about officials.

First, the team that plays better "gets" more calls. Believe it. I've reffed for over 20 years, including several at the college level, and that's true 99.5% of the time."

You might want to watch a game if you're going to comment on the officiating. I agree that the team that plays more aggressively gets more calls - if that's what you mean by "better". However, the issue is players that clutch, grab, hold, push, shove, hand check, and generally impede the free movement of the offensive players on every play, every single time down the court - like Craft does - present a HUGE HUGE HUGE challenge for officials. You either need to let a heck of a lot go, or accept you are going to have a starter foul out 3 minutes into a game. That's the issue here. If officials aren't willing to fouls the Crafts of the world out three minutes into a game, then the rules need to be changed so that they can be uniformly enforced - the rules as they stand reward guys for effectively fouling on every trip down the court, which is what has led to all the boring rock fights in college basketball the last few years.

I get that it works for him (and his team), and I get the issue he creates for officials - but lets not sugar coat this and call the nonsense he gets away with "playing better". That's just lazy analysis from a guy that admitted didn't even watch the game.

Reminds me of the Melo foul situation. There is so much contact when he has the ball down low that most refs just decide not to call anything. If he got the Kobe treatment, he'd foul out the opposing teams front court.

Craft has a reputation (that's crap) for feisty defense, puts the onus on the refs - and gets away with murder.

I almost stopped watching hoops after the OSU game in the NCAA tourney. So filled with bad calls.

Twitter blowing up with idiots proclaiming him to be the best PG in college basketball and the best defender. Just makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Maybe if we are lucky, one day Trevor will get the Craft, Jimmer, Morrison, Reddick treatment.

What treatment are you talking about?

I have to be honest, I am shocked at what I've read so far in this thread.

And this makes it ok to get away with fouling and traveling? Maybe I should hit the gym and head to the clubs, Im heady too

he is making fun of the white stereotype, i believe.

You might want to watch a game if you're going to comment on the officiating. I agree that the team that plays more aggressively gets more calls - if that's what you mean by "better". However, the issue is players that clutch, grab, hold, push, shove, hand check, and generally impede the free movement of the offensive players on every play, every single time down the court - like Craft does - present a HUGE HUGE HUGE challenge for officials. You either need to let a heck of a lot go, or accept you are going to have a starter foul out 3 minutes into a game. That's the issue here. If officials aren't willing to fouls the Crafts of the world out three minutes into a game, then the rules need to be changed so that they can be uniformly enforced - the rules as they stand reward guys for effectively fouling on every trip down the court, which is what has led to all the boring rock fights in college basketball the last few years.

I get that it works for him (and his team), and I get the issue he creates for officials - but lets not sugar coat this and call the nonsense he gets away with "playing better". That's just lazy analysis from a guy that admitted didn't even watch the game.

100% agree. I've been watching him personally since the NCAA tournament game a couple seasons ago and it disgusts me every time. I can't believe he STILL gets away with this. Even this year that they were supposed to end it.

I would feel embarrassed to have a player like Craft honestly. Devo was disliked because of his antics and perceived attitude not because he got away with murder while playing. Craft is beloved by the media and allowed to play this way because he is White. There I said it, and I feel strongly that I am right.

Craft and the way he is officiated make be dislike college hoops.

this makes me embarrassed that other syracuse fans feel this way.

i do find it funny how people are screaming and hollering that it was a foul... but no one bothered to put video up. that very unusual in a case like that. especially on this board.

i do find it funny how people are screaming and hollering that it was a foul... but no one bothered to put video up. that very unusual in a case like that. especially on this board.

I'm not sure this is the play that everyone is all up in arms with. There was a play early in the 2nd half where it looked like Sherman was losing his balance and Craft sort of discarded him, causing the 6'11 255 pounder to crumble to the ground.

Regardless, the kid is giving it his all and not resorting to Ndamakung Suh tactics to get his way. Sometimes when you're willing to roll up your sleeves and throw your body around it's just gonna look awkward. And if its a foul, travel, whatever, it's on the refs to make that call.

I would love to see Craft in an NBA f=game for 5 mins. That would be a joke and a half He is the biggest beatcht punk to come down the line in a long time. Good luck at the car wash Dooche nozzle

What treatment are you talking about?

I have to be honest, I am shocked at what I've read so far in this thread.

Undue media attention on guys like Craft and Jimmer that take away from far better players. Personally I think it's a conscious decision in the media to overhype good looking white kids with a compelling story.

Craft seems like a great kid who is just hitting the tip of the iceberg in terms of lifetime success. But there's a very specific reason why he's a bigger college basketball star than a CJ Fair or a Shabazz Napier.

He's a hardworking guy who I would love on Syracuse but for the fact that he would be useless at the top of the zone, but he should still foul out of every game he plays in, in the first half.

Doesn't Craft have like a 3.9 GPA? Not sure that he'd embarrass any program, even if the opposition can't stand him. I'd have no problem with him in Orange.

I disagree with you about nba but I agree with you here although it's not about his gpa. Kid seems to carry himself with class. Nothing to be embarassed about.

I'm shocked, just shocked, that Craft didn't go to Duke. He screams out Duke guard in the mold of Hurley and Wojo.

Really wish he didn't get a pass from the refs for his constant hand checking like Duke guards often get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom