Crazy duke stat | Syracusefan.com

Crazy duke stat

If anything, that makes me more concerned about about Duke. Tells me they are very close to having a stronger record and seemingly better season.
No. That is a great stat for us. If duke blows us out, they blow us out. but there is a reason that they have lost close games. They are not as good as us at the free throw line and it does tell you something about them if the game is tight. We will have trouble hanging with them. They are far more talented. But if we do hang with them...I'll take Battle at the end of the game and you take Allen.

If anything, that makes me more concerned about about Duke. Tells me they are very close to having a stronger record and seemingly better season.
If we play the way we been playing it’ll be a close game advantage Syracuse as they will still be comfortable

If they blow us out it is what it is

No. That is a great stat for us. If duke blows us out, they blow us out. but there is a reason that they have lost close games. They are not as good as us at the free throw line and it does tell you something about them if the game is tight. We will have trouble hanging with them. They are far more talented. But if we do hang with them...I'll take Battle at the end of the game and you take Allen.
I hope you're right, but I don't buy it. Not a believer in the "clutch gene." I don't think Duke losing close games earlier in the season is predictive of them losing more close games later in the year. Seems like an opportunity for regression, not a trend.

You could be on to something with FT shooting, but Duke's team percentage is only a few points below SU. At the end of games, I'd rather have Duke's offense than Syracuse's.

In games decided by less than seven point

Duke is 1-6

Only win was Florida

Lost to NC (2), Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, and St. John’s in close games
How about Duke in close games against SU?
  • JAB is 4-5 against Duke/Coach K. All 4 wins are by 3 points or less.
  • Their 5 wins are by an average of 12.4 points. No close wins.
Everyone also know SU also had a strong likelihood of winning the 2/22/14 game at Cameron. Coat game. CJ's "and-1" could have given us the lead with less than 10 seconds left. Final score was skewed by the technical fouls.

Who is the better coach?
Syracuse vs Duke

Last edited:
In games decided by less than seven point

Duke is 1-6

Only win was Florida

Lost to NC (2), Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, and St. John’s in close games

Yep, and they primarily rely on breaking the game open at a certain juncture and cruise home from there. This is on area where in the tourney we have been better. We have managed to not let teams get out of reach, reel them back in and keep game pressure on them late. So far all 3 have withered down the stretch somewhat, enough we are still dancing. Very similar to 2016 as well where it just seemed we could not get over the hump in the regular season and then... Boom.

It's also interesting where the line is drawn, in games less than 7 points, Duke is 1-6. If my counting is right, in games decided by 7 or 8 points, Duke is 5-0. So if you change less than 7 points to 8 points or less, all of a sudden Duke is 6-6.

I don't know if it means anything, usually record in close games is something that isn't all that predictive.

I hope you're right, but I don't buy it. Not a believer in the "clutch gene." I don't think Duke losing close games earlier in the season is predictive of them losing more close games later in the year. Seems like an opportunity for regression, not a trend.

You could be on to something with FT shooting, but Duke's team percentage is only a few points below SU. At the end of games, I'd rather have Duke's offense than Syracuse's.

Greyson is not clutch in the least. check out the end of the Va Tech game. The kid is wound tight and subject to meltdowns, see any 1 of his various tantrums. In Tyus we trust.

It's also interesting where the line is drawn, in games less than 7 points, Duke is 1-6. If my counting is right, in games decided by 7 or 8 points, Duke is 5-0. So if you change less than 7 points to 8 points or less, all of a sudden Duke is 6-6.

I don't know if it means anything, usually record in close games is something that isn't all that predictive.

Right, one of those games was the game at Clemson. That was a very close game at the end, tied with less than 2 minutes to go.

They lost a bunch of close games last year as well. It's not a one year phenomenon. Maybe that's coaching?

Anyway. We have better guards. You can take Allen at the end of the game if you want. He's not better than Battle. He played awful in conference this year.

They lost a bunch of close games last year as well. It's not a one year phenomenon. Maybe that's coaching?

Anyway. We have better guards. You can take Allen at the end of the game if you want. He's not better than Battle. He played awful in conference this year.

Good teams usually have a high % of their losses as close losses, since they are good and don't get blown out a lot. I have no idea if Duke is an outlier in this case.

We lost a bunch of close games earlier this year, now all of a sudden we've won 4 in a row.

Greyson is not clutch in the least. check out the end of the Va Tech game. The kid is wound tight and subject to meltdowns, see any 1 of his various tantrums. In Tyus we trust.

Allen scored 16 points in 21 minutes as a freshman in the National Championship game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom