Crazy Karl Hess Story | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Crazy Karl Hess Story

Maybe because I STARTED syracusefan.com 15 years ago this week.

THANK YOU!!! and Happy Anniversary!

gatsby-leo-051113.gif

llandz said:
So we actually have more than one trustee on here, I believe, and sometimes people from the SU athletic department post on here. We sometimes have sports reporters. We probably have people who work for SU in other capacities. I am one of the Presidents of an SU alumni club and considered under the wing of the university. We have people on here who donate a ton of money to athletics and to the university. We have people on here who have kids that play sports for SU, some rather high profile. We have people on here who never went to SU. We have people on here who are minors. We have people on here who (ahem, cough cough) went to North Carolina, with family members who went to Duke and Wake Forest. But the important thing is that we all bleed ORANGE. And...that makes us fans. Thus the name syracusefan. That should be the only thing that matters. One trustee does not make the university policy or they do not pick the athletic director. They have one voice and one vote. And I don't think anyone "owns" this forum. I know you have not been on here long. When I first got on here, I did not know who anyone was, and at times it can be a bit like everyone is in a club that you are trying hard to get into. I sat back, and read, and commented on SU sports, and slowly learned who many people are. I still don't know who many are, or I forget. But I will tell you that if you get to go to one of the tailgates, or get an opportunity to meet many of the people on here, you will meet some of the finest SU fans to ever walk the floors of Manley Field House or The Carrier Dome. You will become part of a family that goes way beyond sports. Last year when one of our forum member's daughter went through tough surgery we all pulled for her, and were there on this board for her dad. We had one of the most special board members ever pass away this summer after a long, long hospitalization from a very dibilitating disease. We stood side by side with Dan through his illness. CTO did things for Dan that made his days in the hospital maybe some of the most special times he had in a long time. We really become a family, and you are more than welcome to be a part of our family. Don't worry about the labels that may come attached to some of us. Just enjoy our common fandom.

Damn. That post deserves a standing ovation.

Let's start all over again.

I started syracusefan.com 15 years ago with two UConn fans ... because there was no place for sane, intelligent discussion of SU sports. I have NO ownership position in it... I am just an admin... who, along with TEN other volunteers moderates these boards 24/7 ... to prevent them from turning into a sewer like the forum on syracuse.com

We admins/moderators also supply content (note daily contributions of sutomcat, orangeXtreme, Cuse Legacy et al) and set up and moderate chat rooms.

I fail to see what my position on the Board of Trustees has to do with any of this. If you had been around here for more than a month, you might have noticed (if you were observant) that I NEVER participate in threads regarding university policy or plans because I do not want my participation in such a thread to be misinterpreted.

Since everyone here (except obviously you) apparently knows I am a member of the Board of Trustees, I just thought I'd share what I thought was a cute somewhat related Hess story. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.
CTO - you sell yourself as a "fan" and being just a Trustee. You are one of the biggest benefactors Syracuse University has and I think you have few rivals with how many games you attend, all of which are now road games.
You are the board conscience in many ways. The admins on here who I have met, such as yourself, Jake, Bees and "Ginger" Tomcat are some of the best people associated with SU I have met.
Thanks for all that you all do.

I'd be interested to know what sort of evaluations actually do occur. Last summer I met someone who worked for MLB and his job was to grade home plate umpires. As an avid baseball fan who is consistently shocked by the seniority that goes on (despite the lack of quality), I was surprised to find out how much effort they do put in to evaluating umps.

I wonder is something like that happens in college hoops. Is it the ACC who evaluates? The NCAA? And why evaluate, if you're never going to make a change...

I would hope so for the mens' game. I am friends with the person who attends SU womens' games and evaluates the referees. I would hope that there's someone who does it for the men too.

It was my understanding that a board called "syracusefan" would be administrated by "fans". I was wrong in this assumption.

So this is a board for Syracuse fans owned and operated by a university trustee. That's fine, just changes my opinion of this board.

Are you sure this is the hill you want to die on?

Hess is the worst official doing ACC games. Makes at least 1 outrageous call every game, sometimes more. Getting into it with fans sitting court side on more than one occasion is ridiculous -- refs need to have a thick skin. If this incident helps get him out of doing ACC games that would be great news.

So, referees are supposed to remain stoic and unflinching while taking all manner of and abuse from fans who go to games and drink 6 dome foams, scream like their heads are on fire and their asses are catching at someone while their back is turned & demanding they be perfect, and then go out to the parking lot and can't find their own car?

Last edited:
So, referees are supposed to remain stoic and unflinching while taking all manner of and abuse from fans who go to games and drink 6 dome foams, scream like their heads are on fire and their asses are catching at someone while their back is turned & demanding they be perfect, and then go out to the parking lot and can't find their own car?

In a word....Yes.

In a word...Yes.

You're a good sort, pfister1, so I'm gonna share with you one of my reffing stories. :) I was in a HS game several years ago, and one fan in particular decided he didn't like my partner, who was also a very good friend. We were both college level officials at the time and were certainly competent at the HS level. But no big deal, we'd all been through things like that before. Later I spotted this guy when he moved down into a lower row in the stands to become even more abusive of my partner, standing up, cupping his hands and yelling loudly at him. Later as luck would have it, the ball went out of bounds right in front of this guy, and my partner was there to administer the throw-in. I walked briskly across the baseline toward him just as he was standing up and with a big smile I said quite audibly, "Are you enjoying your first basketball game, sir?" He sat straight down and when the play came back up the floor he was gone. It was a thing of beauty. True story, too.

I'd be interested to know what sort of evaluations actually do occur. Last summer I met someone who worked for MLB and his job was to grade home plate umpires. As an avid baseball fan who is consistently shocked by the seniority that goes on (despite the lack of quality), I was surprised to find out how much effort they do put in to evaluating umps.

I wonder is something like that happens in college hoops. Is it the ACC who evaluates? The NCAA? And why evaluate, if you're never going to make a change...

Every game is reviewed by an officiating coordinator for the conference. Each official is actually graded on how many calls they 'got right' for the year with most of the top guys in the 90 percent and up range.

Every game is reviewed by an officiating coordinator for the conference. Each official is actually graded on how many calls they 'got right' for the year with most of the top guys in the 90 percent and up range.
Yes, they do get reviewed. "My" Karl Hess game was that notorious game with the botched over-and-back call on Scoop... that probably cost us an NCAA game. The very next day, the head of NCAA officiating issued a public statement saying Hess and his crew had made an error. Sadly, it didn't help us at that point. (Anyhow, that call was why I approached the three refs as they dined that night).

It was my understanding that a board called "syracusefan" would be administrated by "fans". I was wrong in this assumption.

So this is a board for Syracuse fans owned and operated by a university trustee. That's fine, just changes my opinion of this board.

Wow

Yes, they do get reviewed. "My" Karl Hess game was that notorious game with the botched over-and-back call on Scoop... that probably cost us an NCAA game. The very next day, the head of NCAA officiating issued a public statement saying Hess and his crew had made an error. Sadly, it didn't help us at that point. (Anyhow, that call was why I approached the three refs as they dined that night).

And though I'm typically against placing blame on the refs, that was a call that any D1 ref (hell, any high school ref) should have gotten right and probably did cost us the game.

I think everyone here failed to read between the lines. KingOnuaku is clearly the screen name of the one and only Karl Hess. His actions toward the Wake Forest trustee and the subsequent firing and associated ESPN article were merely the setup to his ultimate plot to call out CTO on a public forum to get back at her for berating him in that restaurant after the Marquette game in 2011.

Well it seems your ultimate plan backfired Mr Hess, aka KingOnuaku.

you're right, i'll change my definition now

ever notice that bigots are really bad at identifying the people they hate?

random fat guys at concerts or sporting events who hate jews and arabs alike see me as a perfect foil. a) you're a and b) i'm irish and italian What[/QUO
Sounds like you have a problem with Fat Guys

I didn't think it was such an egregious thing for KingOnuaku to ask the question regarding the fact that someone who is a University Trustee is also an administrator on a board entitled "Syracusefan". Being that it is a typed post on a message board it isn't possible to discern the tone of the inquirer and I don't think the question in and of itself really should have elicited the level of hostility that is apparent by many who have weighed in on it.

It certainly could have been explained w/o immediately assuming that an attack or accusation was being made and w/o the vitriolic tone. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong? I don't think so with respect to the original question. It also seems that after KingOnauaku stated, "that's fine, it just changes my opinion of this board" that the pack attack mentality really clicked into high gear.

Is not the purpose of the board partially to provide a forum for differing opinions? Whether one likes it or not KingOnauku is certainly entitled to make a statement like that without being torn apart for it. I don't think that comment necessarily constituted a condemnation of the board. Simply put... they stated that their opinion of the board would be changed if those were the facts.

And just to make sure my comments are taken out of context I will say this. CTO is certainly a legend here and deserves enormous credit for all she has done for the University and for being a principle in the creation of this board and it's precursors. I think she is perfectly capable to defend herself should someone question her on anything. But I also think that some of the above posts demonstrate an ill tempered rush to judgment tendency that can be seen here from time to time. Tolerance and being accepting of other viewpoints is essential to the health and well being of this board. If posters on here continually and or repeatedly post things that are mean spirited or are behaving like a troll, they deserve to be shown the door. The administrators are equipped to judge and handle that. Someone asking a question which is yet to be proved as rude or judgemental certainly shouldn't be told to get lost and go someplace else. I just don't think that KingOnuaku entirely deserved some of the things which were said based on the original question.