Critics be consistent | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Critics be consistent

I think we saw last night what his game looks like when he's let off the leash. Without Hughes to rely on, he and Girard realized they needed to pick up the bucket getting. So while I'm a fan of using statistics, I think last night looks more like what he can be when he's permitted to have a scorer mentality than what he's shown the rest of the season, and I'm not really sure what his season long stats mean in that context.

Why we stopped working to get him the ball I really don't know.

JB stated in his presser that he simply ran out of gas due to not being used to playing that many minutes. Now, depending upon just how Orange your JB glasses are here, will ultimately determine how you feel about that sentiment. Of course we know that none of those other guys in the home unis were one iota spent since they are all so used to logging all of those minutes. ;);)

JB stated in his presser that he simply ran out of gas due to not being used to playing that many minutes. Now, depending upon just how Orange your JB glasses are here, will ultimately determine how you feel about that sentiment. Of course we know that none of those other guys in the home unis were one iota spent since they are all so used to logging all of those minutes. ;);)
Yeah, I uhm... uh...

I'm not going to say anything.

Those saying we should have started better because of the early start are forgetting that we thought we had a set starting five. We didn't.

Jalen didn't work out and once that was apparent, JG3 became our PG. Simply changing the structure of the team after 6 (?) weeks of practice and early season games was a big deal. Getting used to how everyone's tendencies work together took time that we really didn't have to win those important out of conference games.

The team that started by the time we played Virginia Tech would likely have won most if not all of those games.

Those saying we should have started better because of the early start are forgetting that we thought we had a set starting five. We didn't.

Jalen didn't work out and once that was apparent, JG3 became our PG. Simply changing the structure of the team after 6 (?) weeks of practice and early season games was a big deal. Getting used to how everyone's tendencies work together took time that we really didn't have to win those important out of conference games.

The team that started by the time we played Virginia Tech would likely have won most if not all of those games.

Agree with this take, but I put part of that on JB. When I watched Jalen in Italy he looked terrible and other people echoed that’s how it was looking in practice. I know people think JB has his favorites, but it appears he really went out of his way to spoon feed Carey the starting PG job the entire summer and fall.

Agree with this take, but I put part of that on JB. When I watched Jalen in Italy he looked terrible and other people echoed that’s how it was looking in practice. I know people think JB has his favorites, but it appears he really went out of his way to spoon feed Carey the starting PG job the entire summer and fall.

We’ve had the wrong guy starting at PG(and other guys in the wrong spots) too many times recently. The Howard starting over Gillon, with White at the 2 and Lydon at the 3 season comes to mind. Wasted too much time that year and it cost us a tourney bid.

Good offence breeds optimism and confidence in where we are heading.
Our KP offensive ranking has slipped a bit and is down to #24. But that is still the highest it has been in a # of years..

Good offence breeds optimism and confidence in where we are heading.
Our KP offensive ranking has slipped a bit and is down to #24. But that is still the highest it has been in a # of years..

If we had a bit more talent we would almost have figured out the secret sauce to remaking the Gillon/Andrew White era...confidence rising! :) Joking.

We'll see how it goes - I can see it all playing out 67 different ways right now depending on the roster next year.

My one enduring criticism, whether this year or in years past, is the lack of depth that we tend to have as the season progresses. I've been consistent & vocal about that pet peeve even when we're ranked...but are only playing 6-7 guys. Its counter-productive and dumb, IMO.
It is however the way of our HOF'er & for that reason, there's not much that can be said. He's been right more often than he's been wrong, and the times he's been able to regurgitate chicken-salad out of a chicken-isht squad, are too numerous to list here. I will always disagree with the short bench philosophy and would love a HC with a more flexible outlook in that regard. Is it a coincidence that QC was, according to JB himself "tired because he's not used to playing that many minutes"? And if that's the case with QC, why wouldn't it apply to Buddy, or JG, or anyone else on the team? It's bass ackwards, yet its the man's philosophy, and its not gonna change. Everything else is relatively minor, IMO- but on this issue, yes, I'm a consistent critic.

I believe he did go out of his was with Jalen. I'm not sure most of us wouldn't have done the same with the talent we felt was there.
Did he go too long, looks like it now, but did he think JG3 was ready to step in so soon?

I see reason for optimism as well, but if Elijah moves on we’re in quite a bit of trouble again. Like Gibinje, he’s about as consistent a star contributor as we’ve seen in the past decade. I don’t think Buddy’s the type of scorer that can reintroduce the same consistency, as a lot of his game’s opened up by the D focusing on Elijah and adjusting to Marek.

that being said, Guerrier’s ceiling is high and Marek only continues to improve.

hoping Goodine and Girard can make a leap.
I hope Marek stays.

I hope Marek stays.

Where’s he going? Why would he stay for 3 and not get the degree?

He’s got an outside crack at the NBA with a strong senior year IMO. He’d have to hit the 3 next year, and start to get his grown man body(definitely a late bloomer there, but it could happen over the next few years), but you never know. He could get on the fringes and eventually work his way there.

I don’t think this team has a high a ceiling as people think.

We’re top 25 in offensive efficiency and atrocious on defense. Are we going to improve appreciably on defense next year? With the limitations our guards have I’m not seeing it.

I was fooled in 2017 and 2019. I’m going to have to see a top 25 team to believe it.

Agreed. Don't see the catalysts for a big step-up next year. Modest improvement sure but nothing dramatic imo.

I don’t think this team has a high a ceiling as people think.

We’re top 25 in offensive efficiency and atrocious on defense. Are we going to improve appreciably on defense next year? With the limitations our guards have I’m not seeing it.

I was fooled in 2017 and 2019. I’m going to have to see a top 25 team to believe it.

Goodine’s development looms large, because he’d provide some much needed athleticism to the backcourt.

Edwards has gotta make a big jump too.

Dior is really only gonna be a junior next year? Jeez. Well...the future will stay bright for a LONG time, I guess?

We’ve had the wrong guy starting at PG(and other guys in the wrong spots) too many times recently. The Howard starting over Gillon, with White at the 2 and Lydon at the 3 season comes to mind. Wasted too much time that year and it cost us a tourney bid.
The white at the 2 thing was awful and really took too long to change. I get the Carey thing though. He is such a superior defender he was really hoping he would be serviceable.

The white at the 2 thing was awful and really took too long to change. I get the Carey thing though. He is such a superior defender he was really hoping he would be serviceable.

Jalen’s athleticism pops off the set.

I expected the jumper to be shaky, but man...that handle. It’s not good. And he gets swatted or stripped almost every time he goes to the hole. Jeez. With that athletic ability and defense he could be SO good if he could handle the ball and get to the rack and finish.

The list is long.

Par for the course. You throw out a vague criticism, and when challenged, you throw out more vague nonsense.

Every kid on the team gets to practice, is part of the S&C program, and gets an opportunity to play. What they do with that opportunity is up to them. JB’s job is to win games. He’s got to play the ones that are going to help the team win. Not every kid is going to pan out and not every kid is going to play meaningful minutes. The kids you’re probably complaining about aren’t very good right now, and have shown it in games. Players don’t develop right away. It takes time. Like, lots of practice time and time in the weight room. It’s this way at just about every program in the country.

I’ve got some bad news for you. Howard Washington isn’t suddenly going to become a good player if he gets 20 mpg. He doesn’t play much because he doesn’t do much when he’s in. That’s the case with most of the kids on the bench.

By the way NC State played 7 last night. They must not be affording their players development options either.

Last edited:
Buddy continues to stink against good teams
I have to admit I was really down on Buddy during the NC St game but after I settked down I realized it was mainly due to Hughes being out. Yes they may have had one shut down defender but what would they do if both Hughes and Buddy were on the floor.

I sure hope so.

Everytime I see Q working inside, all I see is Paul Harris - a talented but short power forward.

Per 40
Player A: 4.7/9.8 (.482), 11 Reb, 1.5 blocks, 65.8 FT%, 14 points, 5.4 PF

Q Is much taller than Harris and has that knack for offensive rebounding / junk points .. I don’t see the similarity at all
Player B: 5.0/11.5 (.433), 13.1 Reb, 1.1 blocks, 68.1 FT%, 15.9 points, 3.6 PF

Q puts more in the bucket percentage wise so far though, so I don't know. Harris improved, but not much. He still thought he could shoot a three, but couldn't.

Without Hughes in the game, Buddy got NCSt. best defender. He got very few good looks and added to that by trying to take up too much of the slack on offense.
A big reason Girard faltered down the stretch was because NC State switched their best defender from Buddy, who he completely shut down, to Joe, who he also shut down. It was the kid with the funky flat top haircut.

Buddy ended the game mostly with Johnson on him. I wish we called some iso plays to allow Buddy to post him up but we didn’t.

Beverly was a disaster on defense and his incompetence there was a big reason we stayed in the game for such a long time. Girard destroyed him and Buddy’s best moments were with Beverly attempting to guard him.

they all get to practice everyday if healthy. What are they not being afforded?
Game experience. The ability to stay in the game after a mistake and gain valuable confidence in themselves. Ex - Goodine pulled after a missed lay up. If Buddy got pulled after every bad play on defense, missed forced shot with 25 on the clock, or bone headed pass, he would be averaging 10 min a game or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom