Critics be consistent | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Critics be consistent

Game experience. The ability to stay in the game after a mistake and gain valuable confidence in themselves. Ex - Goodine pulled after a missed lay up. If Buddy got pulled after every bad play on defense, missed forced shot with 25 on the clock, or bone headed pass, he would be averaging 10 min a game or less.
Welcome to the world of being a backup.

While this team has improved and has looked better than I expected after the first month, it's still a pretty bad team that I just can't see being better next year.

Girard is proving to be very up and down (frosh), but I love his fire and how he gets ticked off an goes to work. I wish he shot it better from deep over the past month because that sure would've helped in our losses. I like his makeup, but still think he's a better off guard or at creating for himself. I would love a high end PG alongside him. His D stinks, and being next to Buddy and with no shotblocker makes it almost impossible for us to have the type of zone we need. He's producing much better than most could have expected and hopefully he can get better.

Buddy has scored better than probably anybody thought. He just brings nothing else to the table. D is bad as he can't match the quickness on the perimeter that we see, he doesn't rebound and he really can't handle pressure. Too bad he isn't 2-3 inches taller and could play the bottom of the zone full time. How much better can he get and will his limitations always stand out more because of our D system?

Hughes has been a stud, possibly the best pure multi-level scorer we've had since Melo. His D hasn't been bad and he really stands out athletically on this team. It'll be extremely tough to replace everything he provides, which is why I find next year to be a tough one.

Marek's offensive game has vastly improved, but his mental mistakes just kill us. He's an intelligent, savvy player, but commits some of the dumbest fouls imaginable. Those don't jibe and I sure hope he figures it out going forward. We need him on the floor. It's too bad he could never add weight because if he were 210-220, he might be a draft pick.

Maybe our guys have been tired or we get some young guy mistakes, but we consistently struggle the last 10 minutes of games. Should we get some minutes of rest for the perimeter guys around the 10-12 minute point? I know JB hates subbing in the 2nd half and our foul problems make it tough to do much. We've blown leads, blown games against mediocre team and simply cost ourselves a shot to make the tourney. JB has done an ok job this year making an adjustment to speed up the tempo a bit to middle of the pack nationwide, but why do we constantly melt down in games? Sometimes these guys need some settling down when it starts teetering, but we keep trying to push them through it with some failures. I'm not sure what has happened or what needs to change precisely, but certainly some adjustments need to be made to our final quarter of the game strategy or in-game decisions. Maybe play some more offense/defense subs with Goodine and/or QG/Marek/Sid if no foul trouble?

With a really, really down year in college hoops and our inability to be a tourney team through this, I really find it hard to believe we'll have more success next year. We'll have less outside shooting and scoring, a reduction in athleticism (where we already struggle) and the same defensive issues. Assuming the ACC is better next year, which it might not be, how do we become a tourney team again? I want to see what some are seeing, but the warts are so apparent and problematic. I'm hoping Edwards can add some bulk and confidence, and become a two-way presence. QG needs to develop something outside the paint and we need to keep using him in mismatches. Will we even play a 3rd guard the next 2 years? Hope we can figure out the D and exceed all expectations next year...

Par for the course. You throw out a vague criticism, and when challenged, you throw out more vague nonsense.

Every kid on the team gets to practice, is part of the S&C program, and gets an opportunity to play. What they do with that opportunity is up to them. JB’s job is to win games. He’s got to play the ones that are going to help the team win. Not every kid is going to pan out and not every kid is going to play meaningful minutes. The kids you’re probably complaining about aren’t very good right now, and have shown it in games. Players don’t develop right away. It takes time. Like, lots of practice time and time in the weight room. It’s this way at just about every program in the country.

I’ve got some bad news for you. Howard Washington isn’t suddenly going to become a good player if he gets 20 mpg. He doesn’t play much because he doesn’t do much when he’s in. That’s the case with most of the kids on the bench.

By the way NC State played 7 last night. They must not be affording their players development options either.
X

All shooters (Eli/Buddy/JGIII) locked in from 3 = potential W against anybody now, IMO.
Should open up inside for Marek and QG, who are now more willing to attack and score/draw fouls.
May be dreaming ...and assumes miracle recovery for Eli, but fun to dream.
Just love to see 3's raining like they should BANGBANGBANG, and SU run and roll over an opponent!
In next 2 games would be perfect.

I haven’t been afraid to lay my criticism when I felt it was warranted.

When things have improved you better give credit.
Not many if any fans had real expectations this year.
We are better than I thought and losses suck but this team is a year away.
Their is reason for optimism for the future. I didn’t see it earlier this year but I see it now.
Obviously we have flaws that need to improve but the pieces are there and developing.

Just be consistent. People remember.
You don’t think we’ll likely be the same or worse next season if we lose Elijah? We don’t have great athleticism, so our defense isn’t going to be any good again. And two of our best offensive players, Boeheim and Girard, have to play because we need their scoring, but are both weak defenders. They lack length and athleticism so I fear our defensive problems will not improve next season.

Game experience. The ability to stay in the game after a mistake and gain valuable confidence in themselves. Ex - Goodine pulled after a missed lay up. If Buddy got pulled after every bad play on defense, missed forced shot with 25 on the clock, or bone headed pass, he would be averaging 10 min a game or less.

They have gotten game experience. Plenty of it. Goodine, Washington, Braswell, Carey, Edwards. Not one of them exactly shined in multiple games of game experience.

Buddy has 9 20+ point games this season. He’s our best shooter and 2nd best scorer. He’s going to play. Know why? Nobody on the bench does much to replace his scoring/shot making.

They have gotten game experience. Plenty of it. Goodine, Washington, Braswell, Carey, Edwards. Not one of them exactly shined in multiple games of game experience.

Buddy has 9 20+ point games this season. He’s our best shooter and 2nd best scorer. He’s going to play. Know why? Nobody on the bench does much to replace his scoring/shot making.
Plenty. Love to see your definition of plenty.

Just wanted to prove you must respond. Your need to get the last word is both terribly sad and legendary.

And your ability to throw out nonsense is both terribly sad and legendary. It’s a message board dude. Do you expect people not to respond?

Where’s he going? Why would he stay for 3 and not get the degree?

He’s got an outside crack at the NBA with a strong senior year IMO. He’d have to hit the 3 next year, and start to get his grown man body(definitely a late bloomer there, but it could happen over the next few years), but you never know. He could get on the fringes and eventually work his way there.
I dont know if hes going or where he might go. I just hope that he stays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom