Cronin tees off on Big East break-up | Syracusefan.com

Cronin tees off on Big East break-up

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Georgetown is one of seven basketball-centric Catholic schools breaking away from the conference to create their own league, which will begin play next season and retain the Big East name. Several other member institutions are headed to the ACC, and Rutgers leaves for the Big Ten in 2014-15.

"The fact that we're sitting here and this is the last Big East tournament is beyond ridiculous," Cronin said. "This is the greatest tradition in college athletics, this tournament, at one site for over 30-something years."

Cincinnati is one of three programs staying put - albeit with a yet-to-be-determined new name - in a conference that will play major college football and welcome teams like Memphis, Central Florida, SMU and Houston.

"The whole thing is tragic," Cronin said. "Nobody cares about student athletes. All anybody cares about is money. Everybody in the NCAA, in college administration, they talk about academics and student athletes. If people cared about student athletes, West Virginia wouldn't be in the Big 12 with 10 teams flying 800 miles to their closest home game. That's really conducive to studying. The whole thing is a hypocrisy. ... The money has ruined it. If I was a fan, I'd be very disenchanted."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...Big-East-break-up/AYLxqH4_PkOI8worTgBs4A.cspx

Can't blame him for being frustrated. And yes he is right.

sounds like Pitino before he got his golden ticket.
I still think Louisville will get an invite to the Big12 some time next season, & they will accept it.

When Cinci beat us last year, Cronin was singing sour grapes too. He said something along the lines of "I can't believe anyone would want to leave this behind."

Sometimes you just have to be happy that you even got a few dances with the pretty girl, Mick.

I heard the SunBeast12 will host their tourney in Memphis. Not too bad...great arena and Beale Street a block away.

I know they are slated to go to the ACC, but things can change, if the conditions are correct.
The situation is fluid...but I'd say its a done deal...presser is Tuesday, 4pm!
Bookmarket!;)

The situation is fluid...but I'd say its a done deal...presser is Tuesday, 4pm!
Bookmarket!;)

Are you saying they are leaving this year for the ACC, or they are inking with the B12?

I heard the SunBeast12 will host their tourney in Memphis. Not too bad...great arena and Beale Street a block away.

Really? I wonder how many F UConners will make that trip.

Looks like it really IS C-USA 2.0

I don't care why he is saying what he is saying. Whether it be because they are staying in what's left of BE or because he realized that this is the last BE tourney with all these teams and has the attention to say it. He is 100% right.

Says the coach of a team who's been in the league for all of 9 years. Mick does know that Cincy used to be in Conf USA, right? Oh, the hypocrisy. Sour grapes. Sounded like Pitino pre-ACC invite. He'll change his tune if/when his University ever gets the call.

I still think Louisville will get an invite to the Big12 some time next season, & they will accept it.

I don't based on the early backlash from WVU after making the same move. L'ville would run into the same issues AND they actually care about basketball.

Cincinnati was in the Big East? Who knew?
funny that Cronin is the guy carrying the banner for tradition. How long have they been involved in this tradition? and really, the travel from dallas to storrs is better than morgantown to iowa? what about the student athlete?

the guy just got demoted, hes rightfully pissed.

he went from being a coach at a major university to one at a mid.

what would anyone expect him to say??

Oh Lord

for most of those 30 years, they were in Conference USA, which they left for more money

a little self awareness, Mick

Exactly. Freakin' hypocritical.

Money leads to opportunities and benefits for these universities, which positively effects academics and yes - Mitch's precious student athletes. This concept isn't exclusive to college presidents. It's life.

I don't blame Cronin for being devastated about it. But publically crying about it like he and the University of Cincinnati are martyrs while everyone else are evil greedy bastards is just pathetic.

"If people cared about student athletes, West Virginia wouldn't be in the Big 12 with 10 teams flying 800 miles to their closest home game. That's really conducive to studying. The whole thing is a hypocrisy. ... The money has ruined it. If I was a fan, I'd be very disenchanted."

How is WVU flying to the midwest any different than Cinci flying to Florida? The travel argument is bunk at this point because every conference has long flights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom