NIL and Reality | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIL and Reality

The back and forth on the other thread regarding players and NIL and players making money makes me want to post this…

NIL. Name. Image. Likeness.

I’ve followed SU sports (and college sports) a long time. Some might say since Moses was a linebacker.

A player’s Name is certainly his own. If Garrett Shrader wanted to get paid to show up at some charity event to sign autographs, I have no problem with it. What’s an autograph session worth? I have no idea? I know I’m not paying for a college kid’s autograph because it means nothing to me. He’s a kid. I have been asked for my autograph twice in my life. I gave it for free. If a video game wants to use Garrett Shrader’s name on the latest college football game, for a QB from Syracuse, I’m all for it. By all means, EA sports wants it to represent Shrader, so he should be compensated. So should SU, if they want to use SU’s name, uniform and players.

Image. If a college jock is used as a spokesperson for some company or other, I’m almost never impressed. Nearly all of these players make very poor spokespersons. I’ve hired actors, models, spokespersons before. And some of them were worth a lot of money. I once talked with Ron Jaworski who was trying to get me to hire him. I declined. 19 year old jocks with no acting or even public speaking training make poor representatives. But some people love seeing it. I guess I’m not one of those people.

If a kid appears on a billboard for Joe’s Used Cars, I think the kid should get paid. Personally, I would never buy a used car from a particular dealership just because they have some 19 year old jock on their billboard. But I know enough about advertising and marketing to know that’s not the question. The question is, does using the player’s image help cut through the clutter and get the ad noticed. Maybe it does.

The reality of NIL is that these kids are not, in fact, being paid for NIL. They’re being paid to play football or to play basketball. The NIL (wink, wink) system is just a way of putting money in their hands. It’s deceitful at best, and dishonest at worst.

If you want to make college athletes professionals, fine. Pay them to play football or basketball. But don’t pretend that they’re students. If you want students, start a college and don’t have an athletic program. If you want professional athletes, there are places you can go.

Someone said mine was a “Boomer View.” And it is. I’m old enough to remember when the educational opportunity was the goal. That is no longer the case. And we’re lying to them if you want to tell kids to “go out and get your $$$” oh, and you’re a student athlete.

I love seeing kids enroll at SU, get a degree, and move on to fulfilling lives. I only know the athletes. A kid who uses his athletic talents to get a big time education, knowing he will never earn a living playing the sport he loves, is the real success in my mind. I’ll take that kid’s autograph.
Kids get paid for appearances. I have nothing wrong with that if they feel they will increase local business and since it’s usually advertised the kids are engaging. SU football hosts some events at Meirer’s Creek who have absolutely the best wings in Syracuse on top of everything else. If they want to pay kids for that then everyone wins.

Kids get paid for appearances. I have nothing wrong with that if they feel they will increase local business and since it’s usually advertised the kids are engaging. SU football hosts some events at Meirer’s Creek who have absolutely the best wings in Syracuse on top of everything else. If they want to pay kids for that then everyone wins.
These businesses are going to figure out the roi isn’t there. Other than a bunch of us on the board there isn’t a demand to have wings with Kyle McCord. No one is buying a car from nye because shrader said so. This system is a complete joke.

I have come around to SU2NASA's long standing pitch that we should have cheated our brains out. Now we don't have to. NIL baby!

Well, he wasn’t perfect. Oklahoma never did end up in the Big 10.

These businesses are going to figure out the roi isn’t there. Other than a bunch of us on the board there isn’t a demand to have wings with Kyle McCord. No one is buying a car from nye because shrader said so. This system is a complete joke.
Why do you care how business owners want to spend their money?

Why do you care how business owners want to spend their money?
I can careless. Eventually they will look at their roi with these nil deals and start to think twice.

I can careless. Eventually they will look at their roi with these nil deals and start to think twice.
What if they’re fans of SU sports and like being able to do this? Look up Steven Godfrey’s “Bagmen” story from 2016. There was a whole culture of this before NIL.

What if they’re fans of SU sports and like being able to do this? Look up Steven Godfrey’s “Bagmen” story from 2016. There was a whole culture of this before NIL.
That’s different but I don’t see a lot of these companies continually dump lots of money into nil especially if the economy is bad. The ncaa needs to put the schools in control. If they want to seek sponsors great. This isn’t Green Bay where the fans own the team. The schools control them, dictate the path they take. We have no say nor should we, at the same time we shouldn’t be hit up to fund them. The money is there, They are building all over the place the scholarship payback is a money laundering trick they use to claim poverty. If they want to be competitive then open up the checkbooks and sign players to long term contracts. Until this happens college sports will Continue to be the Wild West and will turn off fans. These kids are student athletes they are employees performing a job.

I mean you're not wrong but I feel it's not the worst thing for people to know if we contribute to the collectives, we're complicit (and bag men/ladies/thems).

So we can gripe about this, but the fund raising behavior suggests as dumb as this all is, this is what we the fans want.

I think it's more than that.
Complicity is in the eye of the beholder, no? Like it or not, we're all swept up in this new era, for better or worse. Bottom line, to compete and have a "successful" program, you have to play the game.
And while it's true the rules have changed, the real choices are gonna be how far schools are willing to go to be a part of this new world athletic order. The 2 death star conferences, (SEC/B1G) are looking to gobble up and spit out any remaining planets within their orbit.
Unfortunately, the ACC is the next "planet Aldaraan" in their sights- and we can only hope to survive the blast and come out on the other side. Either way, we're all caught up in the same hypocrisy...and that's the last movie metaphor im willing to use to make my point! JMHO

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom