Current recruiting priorities and question | Syracusefan.com

Current recruiting priorities and question

orangejunkie

Starter
It's difficult to fully understand recruiting needs and what the staff are really looking to bring in. In the 2013 class we obviously need a PG. Guess that question has been answered. There is discussion about forwards. We are losing Southerland after this season but have Jerami Grant who will be a sophomore when the class of 2013 arrives. For people in the know, are we looking to bring in one or two forwards? Looks like we have some good options. If we bring in two forwards, unless we lose Rakim or Coleman, it is quite possible that the new recruits would be battling for time off the bench. Is that realistic to think that we would get two forwards in this class. Of course everything changes if either Rakim or Coleman blow up and look NBA ready.

Would love to see classes like 13' Ennis, Lawrence, Jefferson. 14' McCullough, Johnson, Whitehead, (Wiggins if we had any shot but just doesn't smell like it'll happen, 15' Briscoe, Bryant. My only concern is that if MCW leaves early Ennis becomes our only PG and there doesn't seem to be another one in 13 or 14 worth getting that we're involved with.

Would love to see classes like 13' Ennis, Lawrence, Jefferson. 14' McCullough, Johnson, Whitehead, (Wiggins if we had any shot but just doesn't smell like it'll happen, 15' Briscoe, Bryant. My only concern is that if MCW leaves early Ennis becomes our only PG and there doesn't seem to be another one in 13 or 14 worth getting that we're involved with.
If all that came to pass and MCW left early, I think Jefferson would be the back up point guard.

In a sense we are recruiting too many too high. We need a solid 4 year player as a backup PG who may not be a stud, but who can get the job done ala Andy or Brandon & who we can know will be around for his senior year no matter who else comes and goes.

In a sense we are recruiting too many too high. We need a solid 4 year player as a backup PG who may not be a stud, but who can get the job done ala Andy or Brandon & who we can know will be around for his senior year no matter who else comes and goes.

Ennis is not a one and done athlete he will be around a while

I agree with you. With the new high level of recruits it gets easy for the fan base to devalue the glue guys. For instance the post you responded to had no mention of Obokoh. A nice 4 year glue guy, the next BMK but with ties to BK and possibly help in T Bryant.

The Brandons, Scoops, RJs, Kjos, and BMK types provide the underlying structure that makes the additions of these 2 year players turn SU into top 5 material.

I don't think we should abandon that mix. Got Grant last year, Cooney the year before, MGB coming. Get Obokoh and if possible some type of pg and the beat should go on.

Gbinije and Cooney will be Jrs. Not sure we need a backup point. I could see Gbinije or Cooney playing a backup point role over a sf role so he only has to learn one positon in the zone. Cooney has a better handle then people think. Hes probably better at attacking the lane then Gmac will be, and when you have a true gunner at PG, that can be demoralizing to the opposition.

I think CJ could suprise and jump. and worry that DC2 and Rak could both jump. I hope not but if so, then we are in for a heck of a year.

So I wouldn't mind giving Ennis a scoring Big to work with.
Theres to many good sf's on our radar with a dribbling game so thets grab one to accompany Grant.

Its always a good for the team to grab guys who will have to wait and redshirt/practice in 2013, so they are ready to be game changers as sophmores in 2014 if need be.

Gbinije and Cooney will be Jrs. Not sure we need a backup point. I could see Gbinije or Cooney playing a backup point role over a sf role so he only has to learn one positon in the zone. Cooney has a better handle then people think. Hes probably better at attacking the lane then Gmac will be, and when you have a true gunner at PG, that can be demoralizing to the opposition.

I think CJ could suprise and jump. and worry that DC2 and Rak could both jump. I hope not but if so, then we are in for a heck of a year.

Theres to many good sf's on our radar with a dribbling game so thets grab one to accompany Grant.

Its always a good for the team to grab guys who will have to wait and redshirt/practice in 2013, so they are ready to be game changers as sophmores in 2014 if need be.
MG and TC will be Sophs in 2013. Unless you meant ennis' 2nd year when TC and MG are Jrs and I misunderstood you. have thought of anyone on the rster T woul be the best backup G assuming MCW is gone after this season.

I don't mean in terms of elgibility I mean in terms of practice both redshirted a year like Wes Johnson. Gbinije and TC will technically be Juniors as practice is concerned but sophmores elgibility wise. Both practicing against great talent, and both getting having some game experience.

It's difficult to fully understand recruiting needs and what the staff are really looking to bring in. In the 2013 class we obviously need a PG. Guess that question has been answered. There is discussion about forwards. We are losing Southerland after this season but have Jerami Grant who will be a sophomore when the class of 2013 arrives. For people in the know, are we looking to bring in one or two forwards? Looks like we have some good options. If we bring in two forwards, unless we lose Rakim or Coleman, it is quite possible that the new recruits would be battling for time off the bench. Is that realistic to think that we would get two forwards in this class. Of course everything changes if either Rakim or Coleman blow up and look NBA ready.
I really don't get where people think tht Rak will blow-up and leave after this year. He's still learning the game. I predict he's a 4 year player for us.

I really don't get where people think tht Rak will blow-up and leave after this year. He's still learning the game. I predict he's a 4 year player for us.

I agree he is not an NBA 5 and he has a long way to go to be a NBA 4

Seldon I think could turn into a Paul Harris/LeBryan Nash type, meaning not a 2 and not a 3. Isn't he like 220lbs already at 6'4-6'5? I don't want that.

You need to watch more basketball, if you think CJ Fair or Rak Christmas are going to go pro after this year. Fair lacks elite athleticism and an outside shot. Christmas has the body of a 4 and the game of a 5.

You need to watch more basketball, if you think CJ Fair or Rak Christmas are going to go pro after this year. Fair lacks elite athleticism and an outside shot. Christmas has the body of a 4 and the game of a 5.
Ok while I don't think CJ Fair or Rak are leaving after this season... one of the biggest obnoxious things we can leave out of the board is to start the "you need to watch more basketball" BS everytime theres a difference of opinion.

Rak could very well enter the draft after this year.
If he took a Fab like 2nd year leap. But thats not the norm with bigs. Usually its a Jackson/Hak like progression from next to worthless to contributer to very solid player to dominant.

If he took a Fab like 2nd year leap. But thats not the norm with bigs. Usually its a Jackson/Hak like progression from next to worthless to contributer to very solid player to dominant.

Not even a Fab like jump would do it. Fab is a legit 7 footer Rak is 6'-9" the jump required for him has no comparison.

Not even a Fab like jump would do it. Fab is a legit 7 footer Rak is 6'-9" the jump required for him has no comparison.
I think you're forgeting just how useless Fab was as a freshman. Rak was a much better player as a Frosh. Yes Fab has more physical tools to work with, but if Rak makes that same leap he's turned himself into an NBA 4... I just dont anticipate that happening.

I think you're forgeting just how useless Fab was as a freshman. Rak was a much better player as a Frosh. Yes Fab has more physical tools to work with, but if Rak makes that same leap he's turned himself into an NBA 4... I just dont anticipate that happening.

No NBA 4 requires 1000x more skill than NBA 5. We are taking more elite guys than I can name we barely had a center on the USA team that is how weak that position currently is.

Here is a quick recruiting break down.

Our A-List options are:

Lawrence '13 - a 6'9 forward with some guard skills, perfect for Boeheim's style on both O and D.
McCullugh '14 - see above, though I think he's 6'8
Johnson '14 - a big time, very big, center
Briscoe '15 - combo guard, think Dion. His sister goes to SU, he is high on us and is a huge talent.
Bryant '15 - a very highly ranked 6'8 (I think) forward out of Rochester.

In a perfect world where nobody gets injured or leaves early for the NBA the above listed guys are all we need.

Of course its not a perfect world. When you look at the potential holes in our roster you see that with Coleman as our last center recruit and Johnson as our next center preference we have two blue chip guys with one eye on the NBA. We are going to need a 4 year center option in the '13 class. Someone who wont mind being a back up until he is a senior and a nonfactor while Keita is around to man the back-up role, but is good enough to fill in should Coleman (or Dakari, if we get him) choose to be a one and done.

We are looking at a few guys who can play this role. Most often talked about are:

Cinoso Obokoh
Goodluck Okonoboh

If everything goes perfectly, we end up with everybody on the first list and one of the two in the second list. If you want a dream scenario you can imagine us picking up Wiggins too, the number one recruit in the '14 class who we are a long shot with. We could also possibly replace McCullugh with Vonleh who is arguably slightly better and also interested in Syracuse although less likely to come here.

The last hole in our roster involves Carter-Williams. If he leaves we will want somebody on our roster who can play point other than Ennis, and ideally we are going to want to get him in the '13 class. The two most intriguing options are:

Ronde Jefferson - a 6'6 swing player who can play the 1, 2, or 3.
Wayne Seldon - a 6'5 off guard with a body and game like Waiters who could fill in at point if need be.

I think that if we end up with either of those two the staff has convinced them that MCW will leave early because there is just no room for them if he stays. So they are two guys to keep an eye on to say the least.

If we miss out on those two options Kameron Williams, or JaQuan Newton in the '14 class are good options. If we miss out on all these guys MCW better be stay. On the other hand, if MCW does stay and we end up getting one of these guys look for someone to transfer.

If we get everyone we want in the '13 class, I see the '14 class being a small one with only two very highly regarded recruits coming in. The '15 class will depend on how everything pans out over the next couple of years.

You may also want to know about some back up options we have. If we miss out on Lawrence or McCullugh good options are Marcus Lee and Tyler Roberson.

The more interesting question to me is who we go for at center in '14 or '15 if we miss out on Dakari Johnson (who is far from a guarantee). I really dont have an answer to this, but I'm sure the staff has their eye on somebody. Maybe somebody else can fill us in on this.

Ok while I don't think CJ Fair or Rak are leaving after this season... one of the biggest obnoxious things we can leave out of the board is to start the "you need to watch more basketball" BS everytime theres a difference of opinion.

Then people should avoid saying stupid things and sounding like they've never watched an NBA game before.

Agree but Rak is in a funny situation.
If he sticks around to try to learn how to be a four, but never makes the jump then he won't be drafted on potential as much as stats and leadership as a senior. Say he grows a inch in the offseason and adds a few post moves to average 8 ppg.

People who are drafted on potential ususally go higher in the draft. Personally Rak seeed like a very stationary defender to me. Even in High School he tended to stay in the paint. If he wants to be more mobile and make the jump to the four then he has to Want it and practice out of his comfort zone. I have heard no sign of that at the king of kings from posters, but then again he was working on plays, cuts, and pick and roles with Southerland more focused on this years team.

I don't see Cooney or Gbinije as backup point guards (even in a pinch). If MCW gets off to a fast start, I think we'll see the staff look to make quick inroads with backup types.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom