'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL

This is all going to get gross real quick. The handlers and bag men will multiply exponentially (now that their behavior is sanctioned). The play on the field will devolve further, with everyone trying to "get theirs" and raise their profile. The helicopter high school (and club) parents have even more to obsess over now that they aren't just competing for schollies and admissions preferences.

And the worst thing is that the kids, I don't care how big or strong, just aren't mentally equipped to deal with this.
For sure, some kids are going to be rewarded for their talent, charisma, and hard work. But it's going to be a bumpy ride. I do not begrudge the kids for wanting this, and I applaud Syracuse for getting out in front on it.
All this is absolutely true. There were very valid reasons why college athletes were not able to profit from NIL for the past 100 years. But like everything else, we throw that thinking out the window in the name of "progress"

Anyway, we have what we have. It will make the college game worse, for sure. You'll have the brightest names in the college game only thinking about where they will ink next, making horrible decisions in the name of today's payday, and parents making decisions on where their kid should go to school based on how much money they can squeeze out of the lemon.

Should an athlete be able to capitalize on their own name, image, and likeness? I think they should, and probably always should have. But without caps this is going to be the wild west. Every 5 star high schooler is going to think they deserve millions in revenue, and every 4 star is going to try and dig up 6 figures, and the sole pursuit of gain is going to ruin a lot of people along the way

All this is absolutely true. There were very valid reasons why college athletes were not able to profit from NIL for the past 100 years. But like everything else, we throw that thinking out the window in the name of "progress"

Anyway, we have what we have. It will make the college game worse, for sure. You'll have the brightest names in the college game only thinking about where they will ink next, making horrible decisions in the name of today's payday, and parents making decisions on where their kid should go to school based on how much money they can squeeze out of the lemon.

Should an athlete be able to capitalize on their own name, image, and likeness? I think they should, and probably always should have. But without caps this is going to be the wild west. Every 5 star high schooler is going to think they deserve millions in revenue, and every 4 star is going to try and dig up 6 figures, and the sole pursuit of gain is going to ruin a lot of people along the way

Caps on income doesn't sound very American.

My guess is many of the people sounding doom and gloom saying this is going to ruin college sports still think a bunch of random bowl games and a poll by sport writers is the best way to decide a national champion in football, or thought the 3 point line would ruin college hoops.

Because greed only exists within college sports and no one does any of these things outside of that space. Obviously no employee of a company has ever done anything thinking only of themselves and personal gain.

It's only those darn college athletes, you play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back (because all the revenue goes to the name on the front anyways).

You know what will be typical from the NCAA is when they overturn the decision to allow kids to profit and then immediately suspend all the kids who took profits when they were permitted too. That will be classic NCAA.

Lmao some people are such crybabies. Literally nothing has changed about the fundamentals of college sports since midnight yesterday and it takes some mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

Stop watching if kids getting what the market says they deserve bothers you. I doubt they would want your support anyways.

Because greed only exists within college sports and no one does any of these things outside of that space. Obviously no employee of a company has ever done anything thinking only of themselves and personal gain.

It's only those darn college athletes, you play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back (because all the revenue goes to the name on the front anyways).
Bnoro, we are going to agree to disagree on this one. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Just because people are greedy everywhere doesn't mean we should actively foster an environment that promotes getting as much as you can. But this is going to happen. I can't stop it as much as it irks me

There are innumerable young people who have no experience with that kind of cash influx and have no idea what to do with it. All they see are dollar signs and the life of the rich and famous. You can ruin your life with that kind of sudden cash explosion, and many will. Heck, 90% of American workers don't know how to properly manage money

Since NIL is now here to stay, maybe the most important thing a school can do is educate its athletes on how to manage their finances, invest, and how to avoid the ills of solely looking for the next payday, and the ills of overnight wealth . But there are still so many who are going to fall flat on their faces regardless.

Lmao some people are such crybabies. Literally nothing has changed about the fundamentals of college sports since midnight yesterday and it takes some mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

Stop watching if kids getting what the market says they deserve bothers you. I doubt they would want your support anyways.
I think this will drastically change the game in recruiting and on field play. I hope I'm wrong. But I see it coming. Probably not so much in the next couple years. But once the machine is churning at optimum levels, this is going to be a whole new deal

Bnoro, we are going to agree to disagree on this one. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Just because people are greedy everywhere doesn't mean we should actively foster an environment that promotes getting as much as you can. But this is going to happen. I can't stop it as much as it irks me

There are innumerable young people who have no experience with that kind of cash influx and have no idea what to do with it. All they see are dollar signs and the life of the rich and famous. You can ruin your life with that kind of sudden cash explosion, and many will. Heck, 90% of American workers don't know how to properly manage money

Since NIL is now here to stay, maybe the most important thing a school can do is educate its athletes on how to manage their finances, invest, and how to avoid the ills of solely looking for the next payday, and the ills of overnight wealth . But there are still so many who are going to fall flat on their faces regardless.
If you can earn money, it's your right to use it as you please. Schools already educate their athletes on money management.

If I started a business at Syracuse, and used my connection at Whitman to get investors and was rolling in the dough as a sophomore, I'd be lauded and have articles written about me on the school website, etc.

So why would a football player be banned from selling a few t-shirts in a clothing line they created? Why would a basketball player not be allowed to sign some autographs so they could send some money back to their family? Why would a field hockey player not be allowed to get some extra spending money because they have 600k instagram followers?

If your only argument is " they might get too much money and the life of the rich and famous" what is wrong with that? Let people live their lives the way they want to live them. In no way shape or form does this affect YOU.

I think this will drastically change the game in recruiting and on field play. I hope I'm wrong. But I see it coming. Probably not so much in the next couple years. But once the machine is churning at optimum levels, this is going to be a whole new deal
Play suffering on the field? Wouldn't the best players want to be better so they can make more money and earn what they deserve? There's a finite amount of time to be an athlete. For women's sports, that timeline is 4 years or so because the pro opportunities don't exist. Let them maximize their dollars!

It’s been churning underground at dirty schools forever. More money, more evenly distributed by merit out in the open is a whole new deal. It’s probably better.

If you can earn money, it's your right to use it as you please. Schools already educate their athletes on money management.

If I started a business at Syracuse, and used my connection at Whitman to get investors and was rolling in the dough as a sophomore, I'd be lauded and have articles written about me on the school website, etc.

So why would a football player be banned from selling a few t-shirts in a clothing line they created? Why would a basketball player not be allowed to sign some autographs so they could send some money back to their family? Why would a field hockey player not be allowed to get some extra spending money because they have 600k instagram followers?

If your only argument is " they might get too much money and the life of the rich and famous" what is wrong with that? Let people live their lives the way they want to live them. In no way shape or form does this affect YOU.
What you just explained in your third paragraph is everything right with NIL, and I have no problem with it. My issue is that it will not stop there.

What you just explained in your third paragraph is everything right with NIL, and I have no problem with it. My issue is that it will not stop there.
Into what? Russian money laundering?

Play suffering on the field? Wouldn't the best players want to be better so they can make more money and earn what they deserve? There's a finite amount of time to be an athlete. For women's sports, that timeline is 4 years or so because the pro opportunities don't exist. Let them maximize their dollars!
The highest paid athletes on a marketing basis are known to not care about their performance. Lebron, Serena, Phelps, Jordan - they all dog it in competition.

The highest paid athletes on a marketing basis are known to not care about their performance. Lebron, Serena, Phelps, Jordan - they all dog it in competition.

LOL. Indeed.

You think they’re playing in the same revenue pool? (A few will be, but most absolutely will not)

Look, I’ll never tell anyone how to make their money. If they aren’t on my payroll, what they do is none of my business. But if you see no downside here, you’re not thinking very critically. I hope in the end that the success stories far exceed the cautionary tails. I’m less concerned about d-1 athletes and more concerned about the wannabes.

You think they’re playing in the same revenue pool? (A few will be, but most absolutely will not)

Look, I’ll never tell anyone how to make their money. If they aren’t on my payroll, what they do is none of my business. But if you see no downside here, you’re not thinking very critically. I hope in the end that the success stories far exceed the cautionary tails. I’m less concerned about d-1 athletes and more concerned about the wannabes.
Examples? I’m having a tough time seeing the downsides and like to think critically

the concern my some people isn’t T-shirt’s, or autographs, or Instagram. That’s all well and good and justified. JBs even said many times he’s all for that. The concern is going to be NIL being used for other things not so good. Like buying recruits. Bags have been around forever but them coming out of the shadows isn’t necessarily a good thing especially since there will likely be more now and for more money. NIL should not be a tool for recruiting by the highest bidders. That’s not the intent.

Meh, use your imagination TheCusian. They’ll be subject to the same market forces and pressures as any other business entity or sole proprietorship. Not all of those entities are successful and some face very significant problems. Why would we assume a college athlete would be any different?

I don't care about the downsides because I've been arguing for years that it's disgusting these kids can't profit off their fleeting fame. The coaches are paid a lot of money to deal with that, as a fan, I don't care.

And in many cases greed is not a bad thing. Greed is what drives most people to better themselves. They want to capitalize (ie, monetize) on that betterment so their life is better, their family's life is better and, in most cases, other people's lives are better.

That second paragraph is so on point, it should end all arguments against NIL. Hell, in order to get your Master's in any school of Business where your focus is on Entrepreneurship, you have to create a business!

the concern my some people isn’t T-shirt’s, or autographs, or Instagram. That’s all well and good and justified. JBs even said many times he’s all for that. The concern is going to be NIL being used for other things not so good. Like buying recruits. Bags have been around forever but them coming out of the shadows isn’t necessarily a good thing especially since there will likely be more now and for more money. NIL should not be a tool for recruiting by the highest bidders. That’s not the intent.
So what? This was happening already, and it hurt schools like SU who didn't have big pocketed boosters. Now, it's above board, and local businesses in need of pitch men & women can get an SU player for a few hundred bucks. See below:

Or, Adam Weitsman can buy 8,000 cameos from a recruit and convince them to come here. Spreading the money out evenly actually probably discourages boosters.

Fact of the matter is, if a booster wants to spend their money to bring in the best recruits, let them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom