'Cuse and Pitt apply for ACC Membership | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse and Pitt apply for ACC Membership

arbitragegls

All Conference
...as indicated by ESPN...this appears to be getting serious...how do we feel about this as it progresses to a REAL move:

Source: Pitt, Syracuse apply to ACC

The Atlantic Coast Conference has been approached by at least 10 schools about possible membership, a group that includes the Big East's Pitt and Syracuse, both of which have tendered letters of application, a high-ranking ACC official said Saturday morning.

In addition, amid a "fluid landscape" in conference alignment, the ACC presidents have unanimously approved to increase the buyout for schools to leave the conference from $10 million-$13 million to $20 million, the source said, making it a highly unlikely scenario that any ACC teams defect from the conference.

ACC blog

acc.gif
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in the conference blog.
Blog network:
College Football Nation

University athletic directors and ACC officials have repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to the current membership, but the increased buyout will make it much more costly for them to go back on their word. The increase in the buyout was approved at the annual meeting of university presidents this past week.

Another ACC source confirmed the addition of teams is not only valid, but a very real possibility. ACC officials have declined to comment, and no sources were aware of a timetable.

This is familiar territory for the ACC, which raided the Big East before to add Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to get to its current 12-member format. Should it happen again, this move would likely be even far more difficult for the Big East to overcome.

The New York Times first reported on Friday night that the ACC was in talks with Syracuse and Pittsburgh about leaving the Big East to join the league.

If Syracuse and Pittsburgh decide to leave the Big East, it could lead to another dramatic shuffle in college athletics. Texas A&M has announced its intention to join the Southeastern Conference, leaving the future of the Big 12 in doubt.

Syracuse is a founding member of the Big East, and Pittsburgh joined the league in 1982.

Mike Finn, the ACC's associate commissioner for football communications, told The Associated Press late Friday night he was unaware of any such talks and didn't know anything about the Times report.

Heather Dinich covers ACC football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

topic on ESPN2 in next 3 minutes...headline: 'Cuse and Pitt to ACC

ESPN confirms a second source...and indicates ACC to most likely add teams

topic on ESPN2 in next 3 minutes...headline: 'Cuse and Pitt to ACC

ESPN confirms a second source...and indicates ACC to most likely add teams
Lame coverage with no new information.

I just want to be in a stable league that doesn't change its membership and format every 2 or 3 years. And one in which every conference member participates in both basketball and football.

Being an ACC-hater from wayyyyy back I obviously have serious emotional dissonance about moving to the ACC. This is all about football.I think it may have a significant impact on basketball. There are so many kids who want to play in the Big East and when it comes to the NCAAs one cannot deny the success of the power of Big East Basketball. Yes there is way too much expansion but that could be resolved with split divisions ala JB... and obviously the BET must be overhauled in a logical way ... not the mishmash it is today. Enough with the expansion!! The loss of Pittsburgh and Syracuse would be a major blow and I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams follow. This would be a sad end to the reputation and power of the Big East.

As a long time ACC hater this is tough to take. It does offer stability and we will not be left out in the shuffle. Bball wise home and homes with Duke and UNC are appealing. Our style should do well in the ACC. And for me personally a game @ MD is very close and I can get good seats usually for free through work.

Being an ACC-hater from wayyyyy back I obviously have serious emotional dissonance about moving to the ACC. This is all about football.I think it may have a significant impact on basketball. There are so many kids who want to play in the Big East and when it comes to the NCAAs one cannot deny the success of the power of Big East Basketball. Yes there is way too much expansion but that could be resolved with split divisions ala JB... and obviously the BET must be overhauled in a logical way ... not the mishmash it is today. Enough with the expansion!! The loss of Pittsburgh and Syracuse would be a major blow and I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams follow. This would be a sad end to the reputation and power of the Big East.

With all of the football-driven changes that are taking place in the NCAA landscape, the only way to maintain the Big East as a viable format is to kick out the basketball-onlies and expand to 14 or 16. But the BE has made it clear that's not going to happen. Therefore you have to be pro-active about securing the future and being in a position where you are in a league that allows you to compete for a NC in football.

People pinning for lost rivalries are missing the point that this league in this format isn't going to exist much longer, it is going to get carved up to complete the expansions of the other conferences. The 'success and power' of Big East basketball doesn't look as impressive without UConn, Pitt, etc.

I'd rather stay in the Big East too, but only if we can kick out the basketball-onlies and add on some of the bigger schools that are threatened to get lost in the conference realignment shuffle (Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc).

ESPN Game Day broadcast just confirmed the applications by Syracuse and Pitt...says breaking news...can this be for real?

With all of the football-driven changes that are taking place in the NCAA landscape, the only way to maintain the Big East as a viable format is to kick out the basketball-onlies and expand to 14 or 16. But the BE has made it clear that's not going to happen. Therefore you have to be pro-active about securing the future and being in a position where you are in a league that allows you to compete for a NC in football.

People pinning for lost rivalries are missing the point that this league in this format isn't going to exist much longer, it is going to get carved up to complete the expansions of the other conferences. The 'success and power' of Big East basketball doesn't look as impressive without UConn, Pitt, etc.

I'd rather stay in the Big East too, but only if we can kick out the basketball-onlies and add on some of the bigger schools that are threatened to get lost in the conference realignment shuffle (Kansas, KSU, ISU, etc).

Every other conference will expand to 14-16 at the same time. I posted this on the football board:

The SEC isn't stopping at 13 teams ... WV will be probably #14.

The Texas and Okie Twins maybe headed to the PACwhatever.

The BiG could then grab Kansas and Missouri. Maybe even become a superconference with ND and Rutgers.

The ACC wants Pitt and a mystery team ... if not SU they'll take UConn.

Do you really want to be stuck behind with Cinci, Louisville, USF, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas State? We could complete the CUSA reunion by adding ECU, Memphis, Houston, and UCF.

Cuse' a good fit for the ACC even though I have been a long time ACC hater. It'll be good for Football, and Lacrosse especially and secure a big time position in college athletics for us.
Let's face it, the BE has been on the clock for quite a while and the move makes sense in a lot of different areas. I'm thinking (hoping) Uconn and Louisville or WV might also apply.

This is good for Syracuse basketball. We will be playing in a league that actually prepares us better for NCAA play rather than coming out of the rumbles of big east brawl ball. I realize the big east conference has some allure to kids and that is part of our recruiting success but really, the success we have recruiting is more due to Syracuse itself and that is not going to change. Im not going to shed any tears for the loss of rivalry games between us and seton hall or rutgers. we can schedule uconn/gtown/nova as nonconference games.

Now if Pitt comes with us, they are going to have to drastically change their style of play. That kung fu they play up there is not going to work in ACC land.

As a long time ACC hater this is tough to take. It does offer stability and we will not be left out in the shuffle. Bball wise home and homes with Duke and UNC are appealing. Our style should do well in the ACC. And for me personally a game @ MD is very close and I can get good seats usually for free through work.
We would be in a northern division that would not see NC or Puke on a regular basis.

As far as bball rivalries go I could care less if we ever play Rutgers, Hall, Prov, ND and the like again.

I hope we do alternating H/A games anually with Gtown and Nova. Those are the two teams that I really still want to play every season. UConn I could take or leave the rest who cares.

We would be in a northern division that would not see NC or Puke on a regular basis.

Dang what would the division break down be? Would we get UNC and Duke once a year at least?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom