Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience: | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience:

As part of Syracuse Athletics' fundraising initiative, Manley Field House, which has been the hub of activity and the center of student-athlete life for Syracuse University's athletics for nearly 60 years, will be, over time, transformed into the John A. Lally Athletics Complex, a state-of-the-art academic and athletics village that will benefit all student-athletes. Named after alumnus and three-time football letterwinner John Lally '82, he and his wife, Laura, made a $25 million gift commitment in 2019 to jumpstart work on the project, which will be entirely funded by private philanthropy.

The first phase of the multi-million, multi-year project will commence in spring 2022 with the construction of a new front entrance. As part of this initial work, the Student-Athlete Academic Support Program will have an expanded state-of-the-art area to meet student needs through private in-person meeting spaces for expanded tutorial appointments and academic advising, along with career and life skills programming. Available to all student-athletes, the expanded academic support facility will house private rooms for student-athletes to utilize for completing class assignments or studying between classes. Additionally, early work will include an enhanced multi-display Hall of Champions experience. The display will celebrate the accomplishments of Orange student-athletes in the classroom and on the field in real time, as well as recognizing alumni successes. This area will also serve as a gathering and event space that can be used for special events, along with day-to-day activities and programming.

The new Lally Complex will support the academic and athletic experience of the 600 student-athletes across all sports at Syracuse University. Additional enhancements to the facility will be announced as new philanthropy is secured. As part of the vision for the Lally Complex transformation, the Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include the creation of a new Football Operations Center; a One Team Center, which will be utilized by all of Syracuse University's Olympic sports teams; a student-athlete academic center to expand resources for academic support and professional and career development; updated dining and nutrition facilities; renovated locker rooms, medical training and strength and conditioning facilities; and modernized facades on the exterior of the complex.

Hope the end of the article isn’t lost on people.

“As part of the vision for the Lally Complex transformation, the Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include the creation of a new Football Operations Center; a One Team Center, which will be utilized by all of Syracuse University's Olympic sports teams; a student-athlete academic center to expand resources for academic support and professional and career development; updated dining and nutrition facilities; renovated locker rooms, medical training and strength and conditioning facilities; and modernized facades on the exterior of the complex.”

“As part of the vision for the Lally Complex transformation, the Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include the creation of a new Football Operations Center; a One Team Center, which will be utilized by all of Syracuse University's Olympic sports teams; a student-athlete academic center to expand resources for academic support and professional and career development; updated dining and nutrition facilities; renovated locker rooms, medical training and strength and conditioning facilities; and modernized facades on the exterior of the complex.”
Was this always going to be dropped on Monday or were the losses to Colgate and NC State a need to drop good news right before Thanksgiving?

This is awesome that we have donors who want to spend for all this death star upgrades. I'm all for it. Whatever one wants to do with their money is ok with me. I get to benefit if it means we are committed to big time athletics at SU.

“Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include”

From what I take from the article the stuff that they say they are going to do will have little effect on football and basketball recruiting and retention. If some of the things they mention they are considering happen, that will certainly help in those areas.

Interesting timing with this article.

“Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include”

From what I take from the article the stuff that they say they are going to do will have little effect on football and basketball recruiting and retention. If some of the things they mention they are considering happen, that will certainly help in those areas.

Interesting timing with this article.
Yeah and a big Babers supporter…

That article is confusing as to what gets done and when. These piecemeal projects can be really tough

Yeah and a big Babers supporter…

That article is confusing as to what gets done and when. These piecemeal projects can be really tough

so the donor is a big Babers guy? If that is the case, Babers will be returning in 2022. Our boosters are signaling that Dino is the guy no?

Sounds like some much needed upgrades to Manley, and some great improvements for all student athletes.

However, I'm not getting too excited as we know how these phased projects go. By the time we are done we will still be behind in the college football arms race. Timing of the release of this article is interesting to say the least.

Sounds like some much needed upgrades to Manley, and some great improvements for all student athletes.

However, I'm not getting too excited as we know how these phased projects go. By the time we are done we will still be behind in the college football arms race. Timing of the release of this article is interesting to say the least.

Since the complex is going to be completely funded by donations, maybe people can donate?

Does this commitment encompass the $7M donation from the Miron's back in November of '19 that was to go towards connecting the Barnes Center to the Dome? Or is that a separate project in addition to this?

I don’t see it that way. Lanky donated the $25m seed money 2 years ago.
AZ mentioned it. I didn't see it in the article so didn't know if that was part of the "story behind the story" of this.

Either way, SU released this today for some reason. I'm glad they are being somewhat strategic with their PR releases that impact positively.