Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience: | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience:

I doubt we ever see phase 2 to the Dome. They already spent $120 million and now another $150 million. You can’t say SU is going on the cheap. These are major investments for the athletic program. I originally heard $100 million, so $150 million is a lot of money. Kudos to the Board of Trustees for their long term vision. We have to make sure we have coaches in place to meet these expectations moving forward.

Sometimes they up their targets because the quiet phase of fundraising has gone so well. All schools have a formula for what they think they can raise for projects in the public phase. They can adjust the formula depending on what happens with the big hitters in the quiet phase. More evidence that they're well on their way to the final total.

Lol and y’all thought we couldn’t afford the Dino buyout

Syracuse with this announcement is trying to stay relevant.

We lose to Pitt and you can figure Dino will be canned.

Syracuse wants football money

I disagree. “Can’t afford” doesn’t mean there isn’t money in the Syracuse community. It can mean the money is earmarked for projects other than a buyout, like this Lally Center.

Putting your money into a buyout and falling behind in facilities is not a good decision.

Personally I think the program is making progress. Maybe not in the week to week results; Louisville, NC State and Pitt, but in the overall direction of the program. We will have plenty of players returning for 2022. Plenty of starters returning. Sure, in this day of social media, NIL and the transfer portal there will be “roster churn” involving players who are stuck behind a young starter. Howard, Morris, DeVito and Cantin-Arku, Kinsler and Markiewicz were all behind younger players who were often starters. That’s ok and is to be expected.

If you think the roster churn we have experienced so far and will likely experience over the next few months is unsettling, change your HC, lose your DC or you OL coach and you’ll likely see real unsettling roster churn.

I like our youth.

I like being 8-3 against the spread (generated by experts, even if we’re 0-11 in the minds of “experts” in this forum.

I like that we exceeded the 3.5 wins predicted by the experts before the season.

Although we haven’t lived up to the hope and desires of the fan base, we have exceeded the expectations of the experts who make a living predicting the outcome of football games. Anyone basing this season’s success on the outcome of the Pitt game when Pitt is predicted to have an 80% chance of winning has already made up their mind about this team and the program.

Go Orange!

Last edited:
I disagree. “Can’t afford” doesn’t mean there isn’t money in the Syracuse community. It can mean the money is earmarked for projects other than a buyout, like this Lally Center.

Putting your money into a buyout and falling behind in facilities is not a good decision.

Personally I think the program is making progress. Maybe not in the week to week results; Louisville, NC State and Pitt, but in the overall direction of the program. We will have plenty of players returning for 2022. Plenty of starters returning. Sure, in this day of social media, NIL and the transfer portal there will be “roster churn” involving players who are stuck behind a young starter. Howard, Morris, DeVito and Cantin-Arku, Kinsler and Markiewicz were all behind younger players who were often starters. That’s ok and is to be expected.

If you think the roster churn we have experienced so far and will likely experience over the next few months is unsettling, change your HC, lose your DC or you OL coach and you’ll likely see real unsettling roster churn.

I like our youth.

I like being 8-3 against the spread (generated by experts, even if we’re 0-11 in the minds of “experts” in this forum.

I like exceeded the 3.5 wins predicted by the experts before the season.

Although we haven’t lived up to the hope and desires of the fan base, we have exceeded the expectations of the experts who make a living predicting the outcome of football games. Anyone basing this season’s success on the out cone of the Pitt game when Pitt is predicted to have an 80% chance of winning has already made up their mind about this team and the program.

Go Orange!
Excellent post .

I like our youth.

I like exceeded the 3.5 wins predicted by the experts before the season.

Although we haven’t lived up to the hope and desires of the fan base, we have exceeded the expectations of the experts who make a living predicting the outcome of football games. Anyone basing this season’s success on the out cone of the Pitt game when Pitt is predicted to have an 80% chance of winning has already made up their mind about this team and the program.

Go Orange!
Ok don’t disagree with anything you have said. I would ask your opinion though of “if not now,when?”

Hopefully this is a general war chest and not earmarked for anything. Also I hope it heavily leans towards football but I know basketball is just as, if not more popular.

It wouldn't help, Their is no bottle deposit in Georgia.
Just need to get the cans to Michigan…

giphy-5.gif

I am glad about this, a great step in the right direction. All I can do as a blue color guy is buy season tickets, watch every road game, and be active on social media. If we all do that it helps a lot but these types of initiatives are the real boost in the arm that the program needs.

Hopefully this is a general war chest and not earmarked for anything. Also I hope it heavily leans towards football but I know basketball is just as, if not more popular.

It’s earmarked for the complex.

If the tax legislation proposal goes through, additional incentive for wealthy donors to contribute beginning in 2022 so to have a greater impact on the surtax proposed (5% after 10m / 3% after 25m of income).

Basketball recruiting is just fine, football needs a big push , this might be it.
Not sure about "fine" -- treading water, maybe.

Not sure about "fine" -- treading water, maybe.
I consider top 25 classes fine. We might not play to that level sometimes (like Saturday)

Ok don’t disagree with anything you have said. I would ask your opinion though of “if not now,when?”

"If not now, when?"

Hopefully never. But, there are no guarantees. Evaluating coaches and programs has to be a fluid process.

Apparently Coach Babers' current contract runs thru 2023. I assume any buyout decreases each year of the contract as well. Of course I'm not suggesting SU allow Babers' contract to expire as such would be detrimental to recruiting.

In my opinion, at this time we continue the course. In 2022 a decision to terminate the contract or grant a short extension with a buyout no larger than the 2022 buyout, but preferably smaller, would seem appropriate.

Does anyone have factual information regarding the cost of a buyout each year?

This spring, in my opinion, the program needs to focus on the following.

Offense:
  • Open QB competition to find the best fit for the offense.
    • A running QB is great, but we need a QB who can also pass consistently.
  • Continue to develop the receivers.
  • Involve the TE.
Special Teams:
  • Find a kicker who can put the kickoff into the endzone consistently.
  • Improve the punt game. Field position matters.
Defense:
  • Continue to develop the 3.3.5 with situational match ups. This defense relies on the versatility of the safeties, but there are times in a game when the situation overrides the versatility (IMO).
    • Substitute slot corners for safeties in third and long situations vs four or five wide. Match the personnel of the offense and situation of the game.
    • Substitute an athletic linebacker for a safety in short yardage situations when the offense brings in "heavy" personnel; two tight ends with two backs etc...
    • Consider bringing in a fourth defensive linemen in short yardage situations.

This winter, IMO, the program needs to secure the services or Coach White, Coach Schmidt and Coach Monroe. Coaches needing a thorough evaluation would be:
  • Gilbert;
    • Is he capable of coaching Shrader to "pass" consistently?
    • Is he capable of implementing a multi-dimensional offensive system that isn't so predictable?
  • Ferri;
    • What does he do?
    • Would his position be better used with a TE/Special Teams coach? If yes, is he the guy?
  • Samuel;
    • Recruiting; find a deep threat to stretch the D; portal, HS, JC.
    • Keep improving the downfield blocking.
    • Improve routes and adjustments to the thrown ball.
  • West;
    • We have pretty good CB's, but we have to reduce the big plays (number of times we get burned deep).

Evolve or die.

As part of Syracuse Athletics' fundraising initiative, Manley Field House, which has been the hub of activity and the center of student-athlete life for Syracuse University's athletics for nearly 60 years, will be, over time, transformed into the John A. Lally Athletics Complex, a state-of-the-art academic and athletics village that will benefit all student-athletes. Named after alumnus and three-time football letterwinner John Lally '82, he and his wife, Laura, made a $25 million gift commitment in 2019 to jumpstart work on the project, which will be entirely funded by private philanthropy.

The first phase of the multi-million, multi-year project will commence in spring 2022 with the construction of a new front entrance. As part of this initial work, the Student-Athlete Academic Support Program will have an expanded state-of-the-art area to meet student needs through private in-person meeting spaces for expanded tutorial appointments and academic advising, along with career and life skills programming. Available to all student-athletes, the expanded academic support facility will house private rooms for student-athletes to utilize for completing class assignments or studying between classes. Additionally, early work will include an enhanced multi-display Hall of Champions experience. The display will celebrate the accomplishments of Orange student-athletes in the classroom and on the field in real time, as well as recognizing alumni successes. This area will also serve as a gathering and event space that can be used for special events, along with day-to-day activities and programming.

The new Lally Complex will support the academic and athletic experience of the 600 student-athletes across all sports at Syracuse University. Additional enhancements to the facility will be announced as new philanthropy is secured. As part of the vision for the Lally Complex transformation, the Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include the creation of a new Football Operations Center; a One Team Center, which will be utilized by all of Syracuse University's Olympic sports teams; a student-athlete academic center to expand resources for academic support and professional and career development; updated dining and nutrition facilities; renovated locker rooms, medical training and strength and conditioning facilities; and modernized facades on the exterior of the complex.
A good indication of the value John Wildhack brings to Syracuse University Athletics.

If I had it, I would. If I had Wiestman/Lally money, my name would be on everything from the buildings to the bidets. There would be a hologram of my face and smoke, like the powerful Wizard of Oz, every time Tucker scored a TD. I would literally be the most eccentric/annoying booster of all time. Pray I never hit the mega ball. I would haunt your dreams.
Still waiting for weitsman to donate some cash to the program (maybe I missed something?). Flying tom Brady in is nice and all, but not exactly helping to get the program on track.

Hope the end of the article isn’t lost on people.

“As part of the vision for the Lally Complex transformation, the Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include the creation of a new Football Operations Center; a One Team Center, which will be utilized by all of Syracuse University's Olympic sports teams; a student-athlete academic center to expand resources for academic support and professional and career development; updated dining and nutrition facilities; renovated locker rooms, medical training and strength and conditioning facilities; and modernized facades on the exterior of the complex.”
My take is that is their follow on dream list...the more we give these items become reality.

Is this the game changer?
For Cuse, yes...it keeps the school competitive in competing for the best athletes in Big Boy FB. No guarantee we become a Top 10 team in FB but at least it gives them a chance to stay relevant.

Last edited:
I’m in for $27.
Dude for $44 you get a Dome Pocket Calendar...be smart as those are what distinguishes you from the Joe 6 Pack fan and puts you in the Fine Mess Tailgate in the donor room!!!

Last edited:
Does this commitment encompass the $7M donation from the Miron's back in November of '19 that was to go towards connecting the Barnes Center to the Dome? Or is that a separate project in addition to this?
IMHO, that is separate to it. However, that connection is vital and needs to get done ASAP.

I think the greatest Takeaways of this announcement are:

1) Our commitment to high-level facilities to compete on the P5 level and

2)that when the time comes that a change needs to be made it appears we will be willing to pay competitive market prices for a coach and staff

“Department of Athletics is considering enhancements that include”

From what I take from the article the stuff that they say they are going to do will have little effect on football and basketball recruiting and retention. If some of the things they mention they are considering happen, that will certainly help in those areas.

Interesting timing with this article.
You can say that again.SUAD comes out with this after an "Apocalypse Now" weekend with the football and basketball implosions.

I am glad about this, a great step in the right direction. All I can do as a blue color guy is buy season tickets, watch every road game, and be active on social media. If we all do that it helps a lot but these types of initiatives are the real boost in the arm that the program needs.
Every blue collar guy needs to do this above

Also, look at donating to the Cuse Athletics Fund. A minimum of $44...but if you can give $100, do that...

You can start by trekking out to the Dome this Saturday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom