Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida

SUFan44 said:
Huh?
It's called "sarcasm" -- and thought I was applying it pretty thick. At least one of us is.

We are getting all these recruits but who are we really getting? I don't see one blue chip recruit out of all 22 signed whether they are from Alaska or Florida.

We're getting a bunch of very athletic, versatile, very good football players that we will be nervously awaiting LOI's In February when factory schools come calling. All of these guys can play and are on other schools radars. They'll get more offers when schools realize they aren't going to land the two dozen "blue chippers" they're all waiting for. I'm happy we got guys that the staff evaluated and liked early on instead of hopelessly waiting out kids with Bama offers.

dasher said:
I must admit Todd, I wasn't sure. I hoped it was.
Maybe I've sniffed too much glue tonight -- I kid, as there's never enough -- but I thought the "Why can't we get better kids here" comment was on a tee-ball tee.

Maybe I've sniffed too much glue tonight -- I kid, as there's never enough -- but I thought the "Why can't we get better kids here" comment was on a tee-ball tee.
maybe that was why I wasn't quite sure about yours...my fault.

I get excited that we have 22...I guess I'll just have to wait and see if they are any good on the field. I really don't understand why we can't get better kids to come here. With a new practice field and being in the ACC it should be an easier sell now.

Dude, you need to temper your expectations. We are a program on the rise after an embarrassing fall to the depths of BCS-era football. We have never recruited successfully against the football factories, and frankly never will. Similar to how we will not lose a basketball recruit to Alabama, Alabama will not lose a football recruit to Syracuse. It is what it is. Enough with the "glass is half empty" talk.

We've won 3 low-mid level bowl games in 4 years. Huge step in the right direction no doubt, but not trailblazing by any means. Syracuse football recruiting will not revert back to its power days for a long time. Our bread is buttered with the Shamarko Thomas' and Justin Pugh's of the world. Sure-fire, can't miss "5 star" Ishaq Williams may have been a 3-4 year starter if he came to SU, but he choose ND over the branding opportunity and found himself in heavy competition along the D-line.

Kids/parents don't look at Syracuse as a destination school anymore, so we've got a long way to go until we start landing "better players". In the meantime, be pleased that we are fielding a competitive football team after lost decade of the 2000's.

Orangefan1 said:
We are getting all these recruits but who are we really getting? I don't see one blue chip recruit out of all 22 signed whether they are from Alaska or Florida.

Um, I trust this staff's evaluations over yours.

Rocco said:
Dude, you need to temper your expectations. We are a program on the rise after an embarrassing fall to the depths of BCS-era football. We have never recruited successfully against the football factories, and frankly never will. Similar to how we will not lose a basketball recruit to Alabama, Alabama will not lose a football recruit to Syracuse. It is what it is. Enough with the "glass is half empty" talk. We've won 3 low-mid level bowl games in 4 years. Huge step in the right direction no doubt, but not trailblazing by any means. Syracuse football recruiting will not revert back to its power days for a long time. Our bread is buttered with the Shamarko Thomas' and Justin Pugh's of the world. Sure-fire, can't miss "5 star" Ishaq Williams may have been a 3-4 year starter if he came to SU, but he choose ND over the branding opportunity and found himself in heavy competition along the D-line. Kids/parents don't look at Syracuse as a destination school anymore, so we've got a long way to go until we start landing "better players". In the meantime, be pleased that we are fielding a competitive football team after lost decade of the 2000's.

Agree with everything but the "never will" part. Wasn't Oregon a middle of the road PAC 10 team for decades?

Never is a long time...

Agree with everything but the "never will" part. Wasn't Oregon a middle of the road PAC 10 team for decades?

Never is a long time...
I think the never is on target. Doesn't mean we can't field very good football teams but because of our location we are never going to out recruit the Florida states, Florida, Miami, Alabama's. In the last 35 years, what is the highest any of our classes have been rated?

Never is a long time...

We will never have Phil Knight money so what Oregon did wont be doing that but Stanford level success can be had with the right coaches and right players. They haven't built what they have on the back of 30 offer kids or a billion dollars worth of facilities.

I think the never is on target. Doesn't mean we can't field very good football teams but because of our location we are never going to out recruit the Florida states, Florida, Miami, Alabama's. In the last 35 years, what is the highest any of our classes have been rated?
The formula for being able to compete on the field with top programs is this:
Recruit the type of players we've been doing the past couple of years but have among them several top level playmakers including a dual threat QB who can move the chains with his feet. Have a coaching staff that actually kind of enjoys recruiting. Coach your guys up better than the average coaching staff. Have a motivating coaching staff kids will run through a wall for. Make the Dome the Loud House again.

And I think we are getting there.

Never is a long time...

Yes, but Oregon has the best facilities in the country and will continue to do so as long as Phil Knight sticks around. That is a HUGE difference in the world of recruiting.

Obviously, never may be a slight exaggeration; however, we will never be able to keep up with the arms' race when it comes to facilities and that will put a ceiling on us with kids moving forward. Doesn't mean we can't win 10 games/season by recruiting lesser known kids that are great fits in our systems.

The formula for being able to compete on the field with top programs is this:
Recruit the type of players we've been doing the past couple of years but have among them several top level playmakers including a dual threat QB who can move the chains with his feet. Have a coaching staff that actually kind of enjoys recruiting. Coach your guys up better than the average coaching staff. Have a motivating coaching staff kids will run through a wall for. Make the Dome the Loud House again.

And I think we are getting there.
Good post. This staff knows how to sell Syracuse. All of these kids are early offers, they can all run, and seem to have huge upside. What we are doing is getting in on solid 3 star kids early before they blow up. I believe some like our most recent LB recruit have a chance to end up high 3 or possibly even low 4 by the end of next season. Kids going into their senior year are an open book. I trust our staffs approach and ability to judge talent. Love what they are doing and believe that this formula is perfect for us especially in light of an early signing period which will be here before we know it.

Rocco said:
Yes, but Oregon has the best facilities in the country and will continue to do so as long as Phil Knight sticks around. That is a HUGE difference in the world of recruiting.

Obviously, never may be a slight exaggeration; however, we will never be able to keep up with the arms' race when it comes to facilities and that will put a ceiling on us with kids moving forward. Doesn't mean we can't win 10 games/season by recruiting lesser known kids that are great fits in our systems.

May not have phil knight but now we have 4square money. Time to check in fellas! Hey-ooo

Rocco said:
Yes, but Oregon has the best facilities in the country and will continue to do so as long as Phil Knight sticks around. That is a HUGE difference in the world of recruiting. Obviously, never may be a slight exaggeration; however, we will never be able to keep up with the arms' race when it comes to facilities and that will put a ceiling on us with kids moving forward. Doesn't mean we can't win 10 games/season by recruiting lesser known kids that are great fits in our systems.

They have Phil Knight money and have leveraged it correctly. Never implies we will never have a Phil Knight. Which is unlikely, but not impossible.

Had we a mega-donor like that - why couldn't we keep up?

We largely agree on all this stuff - just hate the word "never" - Oregon couldn't have imagined a Knight type donor when he was a student there.

Some potential Phil Knights ---- (I have no idea if these guys support SU sports but they are biiiiiiiiig time money).

Daniel D'Aniello – Co-founder and Chairman, The Carlyle Group
William J. Brodsky – Chairman and chief executive officer of the Chicago Board Options Exchange
Dennis Crowley – Co-Founder, Foursquare (service)
Peter Hébert – Co-founder, Lux Capital
Jeff McCormick – Founder, Saturn Partners, and Independent candidate for governor in the Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 2014.
Arthur Rock – venture capitalist, cofounder of Intel and father figure to Apple founder Steve Jobs
Vishal Sikka - CEO & MD (Designate) Infosys Ltd.
Jonathan Resnick - President, Jack Resnick and Sons
Ian Schrager – hotelier and former Studio 54 club owner
Larry Kramer – President and Publisher of USA Today
S.I. Newhouse, Jr. – Chairman & CEO, Advance Publications/ Chairman, Conde Nast Publications
John Sykes – former Chairman and CEO, Infinity Broadcasting (former president of VH1)
Peter Guber – former studio head of Columbia Pictures and current CEO of Mandalay Entertainment

May not have phil knight but now we have 4square money. Time to check in fellas! Hey-ooo

My brother was one of the first employees at Foursquare... he's still there. Issue is Dens Crowley (founder, Cuse alum) is not a football fan at all.

Rocco said:
My brother was one of the first employees at Foursquare... he's still there. Issue is Dens Crowley (founder, Cuse alum) is not a football fan at all.

Not true. He loves "football," but it is of the variety being played in a World Cup down in Brazil.

Why do I get sudden attacks on the board? I can't put my opinion up here without getting ridiculed? I am just saying yeah it's great we are getting all these kids to commit, but it bothers me when I see the likes of Ap State, Marshall recruiting us for the same kids. We are better than that. I mean these are some of the teams we are recruiting against for these kids. I hope Shaffer works out because I like him but this is what you get when you don't go out and spend money on a top coach. If we are serious about football we will spend some damn money and hire someone who can recruit elite student athletes. I don't want to simply exist and win 6 games a year.

Why do I get sudden attacks on the board? I can't put my opinion up here without getting ridiculed? I am just saying yeah it's great we are getting all these kids to commit, but it bothers me when I see the likes of Ap State, Marshall recruiting us for the same kids. We are better than that. I mean these are some of the teams we are recruiting against for these kids. I hope Shaffer works out because I like him but this is what you get when you don't go out and spend money on a top coach. If we are serious about football we will spend some damn money and hire someone who can recruit elite student athletes. I don't want to simply exist and win 6 games a year.

Well those schools have to recruit someone, don't they? They're allowed to offer the same kids. He also had a WVU offer.

Wow...you're certainly not helping yourself.

HCSS does very well in job interviews. That's how he beat out Nick Saban despite his resume.

It's not attacking, it's simply explaining that you should lower your expectations. You opinion is always open and I hope you continue to post, but I 100% disagree with your opinion on this matter. Don't take my disagreement as personal because I assure you it is not. We aren't competing against Marshall and App St for recruits so that is wrong. No one truly knows which offers are real at this point, but I would wager that most of our commits right now will all have multiple other P5 offers before NSD. Further, we're getting in with kids early so hopefully we can keep them hooked. We are beating out our fellow ACC foes (BC, WF, Pitt, UVA) and Rutgers/Cincy/WVU for many of them. We will occasionally beat out Mich St, Penn St and V Tech, too.

The thought of winning 8 games in a season about 6-7 years ago was laughable. We are on the rise and our recruiting has been stellar since then, too. In the meantime, place more trust or even blind faith in this staff. They are pretty damn good at finding talent to fit into their puzzle.

We finally have some depth which gives the staff the luxury of red-shirting a lot of players to give them a chance to develop. The staff knows what they are doing - far more than the ratings "analysts".