Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida

I think the never is on target. Doesn't mean we can't field very good football teams but because of our location we are never going to out recruit the Florida states, Florida, Miami, Alabama's. In the last 35 years, what is the highest any of our classes have been rated?

The one I remember getting at least borderline top 25 buzz was the one at the tail end of the mcnabb era with guys like mo minter, mo Jackson and Jeremy cooper. That wound up being the very beginning of our decline phase. Point being rankings are a really tough thing to go by.

Agree with everything but the "never will" part. Wasn't Oregon a middle of the road PAC 10 team for decades?

Never is a long time...

Oregon spent $135 kajillion with Phil knight right? That's a pretty big difference

Orangefan1 said:
Why do I get sudden attacks on the board? I can't put my opinion up here without getting ridiculed? I am just saying yeah it's great we are getting all these kids to commit, but it bothers me when I see the likes of Ap State, Marshall recruiting us for the same kids. We are better than that. I mean these are some of the teams we are recruiting against for these kids. I hope Shaffer works out because I like him but this is what you get when you don't go out and spend money on a top coach. If we are serious about football we will spend some damn money and hire someone who can recruit elite student athletes. I don't want to simply exist and win 6 games a year.

I respect your opinion but you have no idea if any of last years class or the current class has any elite student athletes. Unless you count Estime, and you should.

There have been moments of being able routinely grab the best of the best recruits in our history - but the mean is closer to what Shafer is doing: good with a chance to be great.

Also - breathe a bit. Last year was mostly encouraging. Most here expect a really good year.

No I'm not going to lower my expectations. We want a title and an ACC championship here which if we go undefeated can happen in football. If that is the same mentality as some of our coaches, then they can go somewhere else and coach. A championship is what we want and we can achieve that at Syracuse. Our basketball team goes 25-0 yeah that's great, but UConn won the title. Now they have what 4 and we have 1, we expect to contend every year in basketball no matter what the situation. That same mentality for some of you needs to carry over for football. I used to think like you and pretend 7-6 was ok, but it wasn't too long ago we were winning Big East Championships with top talent and competing at a higher level.

No I'm not going to lower my expectations. We want a title and an ACC championship here which if we go undefeated can happen in football. If that is the same mentality as some of our coaches, then they can go somewhere else and coach. A championship is what we want and we can achieve that at Syracuse. Our basketball team goes 25-0 yeah that's great, but UConn won the title. Now they have what 4 and we have 1, we expect to contend every year in basketball no matter what the situation. That same mentality for some of you needs to carry over for football. I used to think like you and pretend 7-6 was ok, but it wasn't too long ago we were winning Big East Championships with top talent and competing at a higher level.
football isn't basketball. The top national talent is in the south. Those top kids are not going to come here in big numbers. Not for any coach. The way forward for us is to do what we are doing only get better at it every year.

My brother was one of the first employees at Foursquare... he's still there. Issue is Dens Crowley (founder, Cuse alum) is not a football fan at all.

I don't want to make this about any specific person, but the other issues is the SU origination. Fund raising can be very territorial. Someone who is a media exec with money might be "assigned" to the Newhouse school, where they will put the full court press on their priorities. That's not to say the donor doesn't have final say of where his or her money goes, but don't expect the law school to hard sell a new football facility unless they absolutely have to in order to close a deal that benefits them somehow.

Did you know that SU NEVER went undefeated in Big East Confernce play.

In 12 years of conference play, SU only went 6-6 against Va Tech, and 2-10 against Miami.

Our only two wins against Miami came in 1997 and 1998 ... when they were on probation and facing scholarship restrictions.

Coincidentally, our only two outright Big East titles came in 1997 and 1998 ... when Miami was on probation.

If Syracuse couldn't go undefeated against Miami/Va Tech/West Virginia when we had "top talent" and we were "competing at a higher level", do you really expect us to go undefeated against FSU/Clemson/Louisville and the Coastal Champ every year?

More importantly, do you really want to run the coaches out of town if your goal of an undefeated season isn't reached in the next 2-3 years?

In 12 years of conference play, SU only went 6-6 against Va Tech, and 2-10 against Miami.

Our only two wins against Miami came in 1997 and 1998 ... when they were on probation and facing scholarship restrictions.

Coincidentally, our only two outright Big East titles came in 1997 and 1998 ... when Miami was on probation.

If Syracuse couldn't go undefeated against Miami/Va Tech/West Virginia when we had "top talent" and we were "competing at a higher level", do you really expect us to go undefeated against FSU/Clemson/Louisville and the Coastal Champ every year?

More importantly, do you really want to run the coaches out of town if your goal of an undefeated season isn't reached in the next 2-3 years?

Thanks for providing some much-needed perspective.

OrangeXtreme said:

He had determined after our 2nd or 3rd game last year that Shafer wasn't cut out for the job.

You can have any opinion you want. If it's not what most other people on a message board believe then there is going to be criticism and debate. Most people here believe fielding a championship-level team on the hill is a Herculean task given the landscape of college football. History also suggests we never fill classes with 4 and 5 star kids (even in the golden era you reference). So have your opinions but don't expect folks to agree per se.

Who knew there was a college recruiting rule that schools like App. St. and Marshall can't offer kids until schools like Syracuse passes them over first. Guess what they do offer lot's of 3-4 star kids every season.

Marshall even had the nerve to offer two top 80 players overall and I feel for the fanbase that won their commits as they had to beat out Marshall for these kids.

They have every right to offer as we do.

Who knew there was a college recruiting rule that schools like App. St. and Marshall can't offer kids until schools like Syracuse passes them over first. Guess what they do offer lot's of 3-4 star kids every season.

Marshall even had the nerve to offer two top 80 players overall and I feel for the fanbase that won their commits as they had to beat out Marshall for these kids.

They have every right to offer as we do.

The anxiety with so many of these kids goes from them not having enough BCS offers to HOW ARE WE GOING TO HANG ONTO THEM COME FEBRUARY? Happens every year, not every kid but plenty of them. When we continue to narrow the gap versus the best 2-3 teams on our schedule, I will consider recruiting improved, not until then. For me, I think the separation between the #24 ranked recruiting class and say number 47 is all very gray. Who knows how these kids develop

Depth helps us develop many of these kids, which is great especially at the line positions

retro44 said:
Who knew there was a college recruiting rule that schools like App. St. and Marshall can't offer kids until schools like Syracuse passes them over first. Guess what they do offer lot's of 3-4 star kids every season. Marshall even had the nerve to offer two top 80 players overall and I feel for the fanbase that won their commits as they had to beat out Marshall for these kids. They have every right to offer as we do.

Those who look at a player based upon offers I don't think are worried about who else offered, I think it's more who didn't offer.

We all want an ACC Championship. Every single person here is in agreement with you on that. However, we are not going to get there landing 10 blue-chip players every year... it is simply not going to happen. You don't have to lower your expectations, but I certainly wouldn't get pissed when the team falls short of your heightened mark every year.

So far, Shafer is a winner and he has the administration, fans and alumni behind him. That is huge. I think he is the right man for the job and I am proud of what he has done so far. No one is jumping up and down at going 7-6, but relatively speaking that was acceptable in our first year in the ACC. The staff is well ahead working on the 2016 class at this point. It is early July. That is remarkable and a leaps and bounds improvement over the last 15 years. We'd be lucky to have 10 commits by December in recent years past. Were at 20 commits on July 7th (with several more leans in the mix). Baby steps every year in the right direction and we will be more competitive with Clemson in a few years. I do not think we will ever be able to compete with Florida State, but I certainly think we will greatly improve on the 59-3 drubbing last year. We can win 9-10 games, maybe even 11 games per season and that is the program's ceiling right now. A national championship is a pipedream given the arms race in college football today.

Here is article locally -
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...cker_doyle_grimes_is_22nd_player_to_comm.html

Also goes to same high school as 2015 commit Gerald Robinson.
I am going to go against the grain and talk about the recruit in question here.

Was again impressed with the film of Doyle. A lot of times when you have a big kid who can run, they are not really physical, and kind of shy away from contact. Not Doyle, who throws his body around like a weapon on seemingly every play.

His athletic ability appears to be extremely high, he is just a freak out there with his closing speed, ability to cut, avoid blocks and make violent hits. He reminds me a bit of Davis, one of our current LBs, but he is stronger and more physical that Davis was in HS or during his first couple of years on the Hill (I don't think Davis is as physical even now).

The player he reminds me the most of is Terry Wooden, who was a terrific OLB for us and later a star LB for the Seahawks. For those that saw Terry play, this is a high compliment.

The competition for playing time at linebacker for the next 5 years is going to be fierce.

Completely agree with everything in your post and the argument you are making, but would add that the reason Miami was on probation, and were able to develop into the program they were, was because they cheated. They cheated big, and it almost certainly delivered them a lot more success than they would have had otherwise. Who knows... maybe we would have had more wins against them if they weren't a bunch of dirty cheaters...

List of Miami Recruiting Violations/Sanctions:

Summary of violations: Lack of Institutional Control… From 1990 to 1994, UM awarded more than $412,000 in excessive aid after improperly calculating off-campus room and board stipends for 141 football players and an undetermined number of baseball, women’s golf and men’s tennis players.… From the fall of 1989 through the fall of 1993, student-athletes received an average of $110 in impermissible books each semester…

Student-athletes were improperly compensated for employment… From 1989 to 1991, an athletics department staff member helped approximately 60 to 77 student-athletes fraudulently receive a total of $212,969 in Pell Grants… Football players were given cash awards for game performance between 1986 and 1992

During the 1993-94 and 1994-95 academic years, UM allowed three football players to compete without being subjected to the required disciplinary measures in the drug testing program… An assistant director of academics in the athletics support services area was charged with unethical conduct.

Was again impressed with the film of Doyle. A lot of times when you have a big kid who can run, they are not really physical, and kind of shy away from contact. Not Doyle, who throws his body around like a weapon on seemingly every play.

His athletic ability appears to be extremely high, he is just a freak out there with his closing speed, ability to cut, avoid blocks and make violent hits. He reminds me a bit of Davis, one of our current LBs, but he is stronger and more physical that Davis was in HS or during his first couple of years on the Hill (I don't think Davis is as physical even now).

The player he reminds me the most of is Terry Wooden, who was a terrific OLB for us and later a star LB for the Seahawks. For those that saw Terry play, this is a high compliment.

The competition for playing time at linebacker for the next 5 years is going to be fierce.

Davis, Lynch, Arciniega & Kirkland are all seniors this year. Vigille is a redshirt junior who hasn't seen much action - if Eskridge decides to leave this year, I could see a scenario where his HS teammate following suit unless he gets more playing time this year. Not that we would push for that, just being realistic.

Whether four or five leave, that leaves a ton of playing time for the big group of LBs from this year's class (Franklin, Thomas, Moskal, Bennett) and what is shaping up to be another big group coming in next year (Cullen, Grimes and at least one more, maybe two if we can swing Fox).

Davis, Lynch, Arciniega & Kirkland are all seniors this year. Vigille is a redshirt junior who hasn't seen much action - if Eskridge decides to leave this year, I could see a scenario where his HS teammate following suit unless he gets more playing time this year. Not that we would push for that, just being realistic.

Whether four or five leave, that leaves a ton of playing time for the big group of LBs from this year's class (Franklin, Thomas, Moskal, Bennett) and what is shaping up to be another big group coming in next year (Cullen, Grimes and at least one more, maybe two if we can swing Fox).
Yes, some really promising talent coming in and battling for a lot of playing time early. The ones that learn the playbook earliest will have a big advantage.

One thing I noticed from his video is that he tends to play straight up and down but despite that (at least on the video) that didn't prevent him from unloading on the ball carrier. If the coaches can show how to play with a little more leverage - yikes.

Those who look at a player based upon offers I don't think are worried about who else offered, I think it's more who didn't offer.

until I see posts on why hasn't Alabama,OSU Michigan has not offered this recruit I will stick onto my point about posts on why we are recruiting against Appalachian St. and Marshall

I am just a passionate fan that wants to win. Everyone else here wants that to. Maybe I'm not being practical given the situation, but I just don't want to settle for 6-6 seasons anymore. Frankly I'm tired of it I'm over it. We went through some of the worst football I've seen up there with the Robinson era and I only wonder what could of been given Pasqualoni stays. He was getting 6-6 seasons and was getting crucified for it. I know his time was up given the loses to G Tech, Temple...etc...I didn't even want to go to work on Monday after those loses it was so embarrassing, but hey we would of had Ray Rice the following year so who knows.

until I see posts on why hasn't Alabama,OSU Michigan has not offered this recruit I will stick onto my point about posts on why we are recruiting against Appalachian St. and Marshall
Fail

Orangefan1 said:
I am just a passionate fan that wants to win. Everyone else here wants that to. Maybe I'm not being practical given the situation, but I just don't want to settle for 6-6 seasons anymore. Frankly I'm tired of it I'm over it. We went through some of the worst football I've seen up there with the Robinson era and I only wonder what could of been given Pasqualoni stays. He was getting 6-6 seasons and was getting crucified for it. I know his time was up given the loses to G Tech, Temple...etc...I didn't even want to go to work on Monday after those loses it was so embarrassing, but hey we would of had Ray Rice the following year so who knows.

Do you think we're trending up or down?

Yes, you are not being practical but that is OK, fans are fans. Deck is severely stacked when it comes to Syracuse football. 8 wins would be great