Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse lands another commitment for 2015 - Doyle Grimes - LB from Florida

Please explain on your one word response...How so?

Super confused here... what are you saying retro? That we're competing against App St? I don't think you are, but just trying to clarify what you are saying...

retro44 said:
until I see posts on why hasn't Alabama,OSU Michigan has not offered this recruit I will stick onto my point about posts on why we are recruiting against Appalachian St. and Marshall

Point is, some don't care that an FIU offered but might be concerned other P5 schools haven't. So it's not who offered but who didn't.

I think the never is on target. Doesn't mean we can't field very good football teams but because of our location we are never going to out recruit the Florida states, Florida, Miami, Alabama's. In the last 35 years, what is the highest any of our classes have been rated?
I agree.Also in my opinion,there are so many good players in the south compared to the northeast that these 2 star players are much better than our 3 stars as a rule.plus how do you know what these players will be rated after their senior year.We use to get 6 or 7 Fla players over a 4 year period.now we have 7 Fla players plus 2 Ga players.I'd say our recruiting is a good bit better than usual.

For me, I think the separation between the #24 ranked recruiting class and say number 47 is all very gray.

This is what people need to understand.

This is the range SU will be playing in for the foreseeable future and more than likely through eternity. You have to find speed and kids that fit the system within this caliber of recruits. No program is going to come out of a 10-37 era and start landing Four and Five star recruits that have multiple High P5 offers even if the ship appears to be going in a forward direction. (Marrone, Shafer)

You have to win first. You have to win multiple 10 game seasons, a few bigger bowl games, or even a conference championship with those recruiting classes that fall in that 24-47 range before the big time prospects will start to buy in and sign a LOI to play here. That's just the reality.

There are two things I love about this class. 1. The majority of these guys fit that hardnosed mantra to a T. 2. The major workload for the 2015 class is outta the way, with 8-9 wins this season the staff could really springboard themselves into an excellent 2016 class and then things will really get rolling.

Last edited:
Super confused here... what are you saying retro? That we're competing against App St? I don't think you are, but just trying to clarify what you are saying...

it's not me that is worried that we are getting recruits who some of the smaller schools that have also offered, it's that some take offense that just maybe App.St. an Marshall has all ready offered them.

If maybe we have to beat out those schools in the 1st. week of Feb. then maybe we might be in a little trouble, but we are still a half a year away from the signing date.

Some potential Phil Knights ---- (I have no idea if these guys support SU sports but they are biiiiiiiiig time money).

Daniel D'Aniello – Co-founder and Chairman, The Carlyle Group
William J. Brodsky – Chairman and chief executive officer of the Chicago Board Options Exchange
Dennis Crowley – Co-Founder, Foursquare (service)
Peter Hébert – Co-founder, Lux Capital
Jeff McCormick – Founder, Saturn Partners, and Independent candidate for governor in the Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 2014.
Arthur Rock – venture capitalist, cofounder of Intel and father figure to Apple founder Steve Jobs
Vishal Sikka - CEO & MD (Designate) Infosys Ltd.
Jonathan Resnick - President, Jack Resnick and Sons
Ian Schrager – hotelier and former Studio 54 club owner
Larry Kramer – President and Publisher of USA Today
S.I. Newhouse, Jr. – Chairman & CEO, Advance Publications/ Chairman, Conde Nast Publications
John Sykes – former Chairman and CEO, Infinity Broadcasting (former president of VH1)
Peter Guber – former studio head of Columbia Pictures and current CEO of Mandalay Entertainment

Minor correction, Bill Brodsky retired last year.

He's still wealthy, and he's pretty involved at SU, but this is a good point:

I don't want to make this about any specific person, but the other issues is the SU origination. Fund raising can be very territorial. Someone who is a media exec with money might be "assigned" to the Newhouse school, where they will put the full court press on their priorities. That's not to say the donor doesn't have final say of where his or her money goes, but don't expect the law school to hard sell a new football facility unless they absolutely have to in order to close a deal that benefits them somehow.

If what I saw on the field last year is any indication...one of the big changes I have seen is speed on special teams and the ability to make open field tackles. Special Teams has improved dramatically. In fairness I believe Hunt will make a tremendous leap this year. He may be one of the best QB's in the ACC. I say at 8 wins that would be my guess given the schedule.

Orangefan1 said:
If what I saw on the field last year is any indication...one of the big changes I have seen is speed on special teams and the ability to make open field tackles. Special Teams has improved dramatically. In fairness I believe Hunt will make a tremendous leap this year. He may be one of the best QB's in the ACC. I say at 8 wins that would be my guess given the schedule.

Good - we agree. The 6 win norm you thought we were doomed to repeat is in the rear view ;).

Hunt was not a huge national recruit.

My take is that the higher the stars the lower % of the recruit not panning out, in general (it's not that much lower than a 3 star, but it is lower). The big gray area of 3 star recruits you can win with but it takes sharper evaluations by our staff and better game planning (or both recruiting to the scheme). That's where I think this staff gets it while the last two didn't. That's why I think this class and the last class will outplay their recruiting ranking.

I will be very surprised if Hunt is not one of the top QBs in the ACC this year