Cuse-Nebraska 1922 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse-Nebraska 1922

Shenexon

All American
I was looking through some old newspapers and found this little blurb in the November 5th, 1922 edition of the Atlanta Journal. The headline was Alabama over Penn 9-7 with other headlines including: Auburn Beats Georgia 7-3, Harvard Beat Florida 24-0, and Georgia Tech Beat Clemson 21-7. SU beat Nebraska 9-6 at home and beat them on the road 7-0 in 1923. Pappy Waldorf played on that team at tackle and the team was coached by Chick Meehan. 100 years ago SU was a force to be reckoned with in eastern football. Archbold Stadium was relatively new and was state of the art at the time. We've had a lot of success during various eras and I believe we're headed into another period of success to rival our best years. I was fortunate to be at the 1984 Nebraska game at the dome but it wasn't their first win against Nebraska at home.

Perspective is important in sports...we've had a lot of great games on the same playing field, whether in Archbold Stadium or the Carrier Dome, using many different styles of play. We've had a lot of great athletes play for SU and it looks like we're again a contender for interest from great athletes. Our future looks as bright as our past...and that's pretty damn good...

64a.jpg
syracusenebraska1922.jpg

It's funny to think that 100 years from now, people are going to look at old ESPN.com articles and Sportscenter segments like we are looking at this old newspaper article.

I was looking through some old newspapers and found this little blurb in the November 5th, 1922 edition of the Atlanta Journal. The headline was Alabama over Penn 9-7 with other headlines including: Auburn Beats Georgia 7-3, Harvard Beat Florida 24-0, and Georgia Tech Beat Clemson 21-7. SU beat Nebraska 9-6 at home and beat them on the road 7-0 in 1923. Pappy Waldorf played on that team at tackle and the team was coached by Chick Meehan. 100 years ago SU was a force to be reckoned with in eastern football. Archbold Stadium was relatively new and was state of the art at the time. We've had a lot of success during various eras and I believe we're headed into another period of success to rival our best years. I was fortunate to be at the 1984 Nebraska game at the dome but it wasn't their first win against Nebraska at home.

Perspective is important in sports...we've had a lot of great games on the same playing field, whether in Archbold Stadium or the Carrier Dome, using many different styles of play. We've had a lot of great athletes play for SU and it looks like we're again a contender for interest from great athletes. Our future looks as bright as our past...and that's pretty damn good...

View attachment 102142 View attachment 102141

Thanks for posting this. Stuff like this is always interesting for us fans of history. Plus, the Orangemen won and Nebraska lost, two very excellent reasons for enjoying this nostalgia more.

Those same "Crimson Invaders" came to Archbold the next year and got spanked 23-0 by the orange. Wallace wade was quoted as saying he learned more football that day than on any other day of his career. James Howell ranked that Syracuse team the best in the country, over the four Horsemen of Notre Dame and Red Grange's Illinois team:
1923 NCAA Division IA Football Power Ratings
Who did we lose to? Colgate, of course!

We've had three great eras:
1914-35 We had 22 straight winning seasons.
1950-71: We had 22 straight non-losing seasons, (add those numbers up and you get...)
1983-01: We had 18 winning seasons in 19 years.

The first and last of those periods were delayed reactions to building a new facility to play in. Building success in football takes a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom