Cuse-Rutgers 2009 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse-Rutgers 2009

LeMoyneCuse

All American
This game made me a Syracuse football diehard.

I cared when I was a kid in the 90s, but in High School, Saturdays were fully consumed by Marching Band, so I lost touch. When I got to college, I was instructing Marching Band, so same issues. Also, it was the G-Rob years, so...

Now, I always casually paid attention, and did so into 2009.

But the Rutgers game changed me. My buddy had free tickets, and we sat behind the end zone used for basketball. Rutgers came in ranked, Tom Savage was an impressive freshman QB, Cuse was starting Mike Stenclik at linebacker because of injuries.

The result was as comprehensive of a beatdown as I've ever seen Cuse deliver. Mike Holmes made a huge pick early in the game and Cuse got up 14-0 early. Tom Savage was sacked 9 times and tallied -72 (!!!) yards rushing. Rutgers scored on a trick play and got points off of a blocked punt - their regular offense did less than nothing. I remember Doug Hogue having something like 102 tackles for loss that day.

It was three hours of pure joy, and at that moment, I knew I wanted in. I joined the old board the next day and, for better or worse, haven't looked back.

All this to say, I'd love to see Syracuse deliver an equivalent beatdown on Saturday - just for old time's sake.

I’ve been a die hard since Mcnabb and that game is still one of my favorite games to ever watch. Early Mcnabb I think I was still a little young to really “get” a lot even though I think I watched every game that was on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom