D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Does that mean SS is going to be the acting HC or the new full-time HC?

"He basically told me Shafer is going to be the coach for now,” Kelly said. “They plan on announcing that Sunday.”

Interim coach until someone gets hired, or actual coach?

Modern day journalism when a recruit scoops everyone on the new coach.

I thought it was the silent period or whatever? Or is that over?

e NCAA dead period runs through Thursday in which coaches are prohibited from contacting recruits until after the coaching convention. Kelly said that did not apply to him since he had already signed a letter-of-intent. He said no one at Syracuse has called him. He called Henderson.
“I mean, really, I feel a little disrespected at some point,” Kelly said. “I still haven’t really been contacted by the coaches. ... I kept them in the loop the whole way about everything. I haven’t been kept in the loop. Nothing. Not one thing.
Referring to another call last week by Henderson, Kelly said, “The only thing I’ve been told was it (Marrone leaving) wasn’t happening.”

woo hoo! Like it and the continuity. Believe Shaffer has what it takes to be successful. And maybe he won't punt from the opponents 32 yrd line. This may indeed be the silver lining we could hope for.

Shaffer has the duality of being a smart articulate guy off the field with some good leadership abilities so necessary for success at this level, and can be tough as nails on the field. I do believe this is all going to work out just fine gents (and ladies).

Total FAIL if true... gotta at least try to go big. Nothing against Shafer but you have to take advantage of the program's momentum and pending ACC schedule and go big.

Went on the cheap and short term vision. Just like Marrone's complaints. Oh well. Good luck HCSS. Hope it works out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I honestly don't get the infatuation with promoting Shafer for the sole reason in keeping the recruiting class intact. It's the 71st ranked recruiting class in the country. I for one am not happy with 7 win seasons. I was a fan during the 90's and seen talent brought to this school. I just don't see anything but mediocrity if Shafer is the future of this program. I hope I'm wrong, but until talent is brought in, Syracuse will be mediocre at best for years to come.

Referring to another call last week by Henderson, Kelly said, “The only thing I’ve been told was it (Marrone leaving) wasn’t happening.”

Argh.

Doug can go do what he wants but if he knowingly let his assistants "reassure" recruits that he wasn't leaving it was a classless move, although entirely predictable given how these vaunted "leaders of men" conduct themselves.

Still a chance Hackett sticks around... :)

I honestly don't get the infatuation with promoting Shafer for the sole reason in keeping the recruiting class intact. It's the 71st ranked recruiting class in the country. I for one am not happy with 7 win seasons. I was a fan during the 90's and seen talent brought to this school. I just don't see anything but mediocrity if Shafer is the future of this program. I hope I'm wrong, but until talent is brought in, Syracuse will be mediocre at best for years to come.
We have 8 win seasons sir!

Went on the cheap and short term vision. Just like Marrone's complaints. Oh well. Good luck HCSS. Hope it works out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sounds like a proper move, given the direction of the program and Shaffer's role in it. I guess we'd have to know the personalities to make a better judgment.

I really like Shafer. He's tough as nails and will be more agressive where Doug was timid. We can't get the talent, so we have to be tougher than everybody else, and Shafer fits this philosophy. Good hire if true.

That certainly wouldn't be the sole reason for promoting Shaffer.

Sole reason? That's not leaping to a conclusion at all.