D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Don't understand why you would promote without seeing if there is anything better out there first by interviewing other coaches.

Seems like just a cheap safe move that COULD hurt the program again and kill all the momentum. (not saying it will)

Hiring from outside could also cost the program a lot of money and still hurt the program again and kill all the momentum.

We all know that everything is an unknown and nothing guaranteed right?

Why is Diaco any better than our own Coordinator who runs a great defensive scheme and has done a great job doing it with substantially less?
I think the argument is Diaco is a proven guy on recruiting trail.

This hire is not about the recruiting class. It's about the turnaround in the culture and direction of the program. This hire is about keeping that going, and not wiping us back to another clean slate. I'm behind it 100%.

Exactly...why is that so hard for people to understand?

Anybody who mentions 'saving the class' just doesn't get it.

I think the argument is Diaco is a proven guy on recruiting trail.

Good recruiters don't necessarily make good head coaches.

Is Shafer widely known has an outstanding recruiter by many people? Is Shafer coaching the defense in the national title game? Is Shafer coaching the number 1 ranked scoring defense in the FBS?

If he had Notre Dame's players maybe he would be. The better question is how would Diaco have fared the last 4 years in Schafer's shoes at Syracuse? Beats me, but just sayin. It goes both ways.

People get way to hung up on 'sexy' names, not to mention some people are just dopey. There's already someone on the board questioning Diaco because he's losing 21-0 in the 2nd q.

So is the football team. I don't get your point either.

Even if Hackett stays, he'll be gone in short order. He's a hipot. My preference is a HC with HC experience or a current OC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I really don't know why I bother hoping Syracuse will make a good decision in this situation. The easy way out is the only way I figured they would go.

Even if Hackett stays, he'll be gone in short order. He's a hipot. My preference is a HC with HC experience or a current OC.

And that would likely be true if Marrone were staying...or even if Hackett were named HC. If we keep I'm, and have continued success, there is no down side.

One year of Hackett nets us two quality QB's and continuity going into year one of ACC competition. I'd take that every time. It was also allow Shafer a year to get used to HC.

Who can't recruit at Notre Dame?

I'm not supporting Diaco over Shafer or even claiming to know about what kind of recruiter he is. That said, ND's recruiting is significantly better than it has been for the past 10 years or so -- at least if you trust offers and star rankings, etc. ND always gets high-profile kids but they don't always beat the other big boys for the big fish. They've done that the last two years or so.

Who can't recruit at Notre Dame?

Bob Davie?

But agree, I don't see what makes Diaco so much more attractive a candidate than Shafer.

I really hope this works out. It's a risk, but so are so many others. You don't know who the next great head coach is until he gets a chance.