D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Went on the cheap and short term vision. Just like Marrone's complaints. Oh well. Good luck HCSS. Hope it works out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
disagree here bees . continuity is critical here... we have things in place just keep it moving in the right direction

I'm totally cool with this hire. It's really all about the timing. Had this happened before bowl season, I bet a true national search would have been performed.

But given the circumstances, it's impossible to argue the logic of this decision.

It's not like we had to make character decisions on people we didn't know. You work with these people day in and day out, you know what your getting.

I'm sure due consideration was given to what affect printing Shaffer would have in the rest of the staff.

People freaked out when coach p was promoted over edsall back in the day, but those who were around the program back then applauded.

Edsall turned out to be a lunatic...gotta think those traits were evident then. I'm not saying Hackett is edsall, just saying horse are the easier sections to get right.

Hackett is only 34 years old, he's got more learning to do.

...promoting...easier...decisions. Sorry for the typos.

I'm totally cool with this hire. It's really all about the timing. Had this happened before bowl season, I bet a true national search would have been performed.

But given the circumstances, it's impossible to argue the logic of this decision.

It's not like we had to make character decisions on people we didn't know. You work with these people day in and day out, you know what your getting.

I'm sure due consideration was given to what affect printing Shaffer would have in the rest of the staff.

People freaked out when coach p was promoted over edsall back in the day, but those who were around the program back then applauded.

Edsall turned out to be a lunatic...gotta think those traits were evident then. I'm not saying Hackett is edsall, just saying horse are the easier sections to get right.

I was following along just fine until the "horse are the easier sections to get right" part. Did you mean whores for horse? Never mind, that doesn't make sense either.

I see the similarity. Edsall was very young then, and he showed his immaturity by being a whiny punk about it. Let's hope Nate Hackett is way cooler than Randy Edsall.

Total FAIL if true... gotta at least try to go big. Nothing against Shafer but you have to take advantage of the program's momentum and pending ACC schedule and go big.
Define "go big".

Maybe in reality, the situation is more like this: SU is looking at a few options outside the program and if that doesn't work... Shafer. I can see how a reporter playing telephone may get that from a recruit.

I agree this is the safe decision for TGD. Who's your DC ? Morrison ?

disagree here bees . continuity is critical here... we have things in place just keep it moving in the right direction

How many other BCS schools would hire Shafer today as HC?

I honestly don't get the infatuation with promoting Shafer for the sole reason in keeping the recruiting class intact. It's the 71st ranked recruiting class in the country. I for one am not happy with 7 win seasons. I was a fan during the 90's and seen talent brought to this school. I just don't see anything but mediocrity if Shafer is the future of this program. I hope I'm wrong, but until talent is brought in, Syracuse will be mediocre at best for years to come.
did you feel the same way when passqualoni was rumored to take over for Mac? I know I did, didnt think he would keep the momentum going, but he did, if shafer gets it this whole thing will look just like the Mac and Passqualoni turnover. lol...

I honestly don't get the infatuation with promoting Shafer for the sole reason in keeping the recruiting class intact. It's the 71st ranked recruiting class in the country.
You and I are in the minority on that one.

I absolutely hate this idea of hiring Shaffer. I understand why they are doing it, but I don't like it.

Times were way different in the Coach P era. He competed with one other school (Nebraska) for offensive players that fit his system. Also was able to recruit NJ and Connecticut areas with ease since there was no competition to recruit those areas.

Are they mid level BCS schools hiring on January 7th?

Probably a lot of them would hire from within. It's not like your yoking Shafer from a list of candidates.

if the guy runs a offense with the same same attacking attitude he does dfense- count me in

i also get the impression he is loyal to those who have faith in him like the guy after robinson did-

time will be the best barometer

I absolutely hate this idea of hiring Shaffer. I understand why they are doing it, but I don't like it.
I understand why, I just don't understand why those things are our priorities.

Like the hire, was not sold on others. My opinion you give Shafer a year, if we tank you get pick of the liter next year. Hopefully we can keep most of the staff together.

Zippidy dooh dah. Shafer might or might not succeed but let's not kid ourselves he doesn't do anything to advance the program... He's not going to get us any more recruits, probably won't get us any more fundraisers (though I know nothing about this)... Maybe maintaining the same system is enough who knows but everyone said we still need major upgrades in talent and facilities to get us to the next level, are we saying Shafer can get this done when Marrone couldn't?

This is not only about recruiting. It's the culture the comfort level with existing players. Do u all not remember how many defections we had marrones first yr. u bring in new coach u risk similar uncertainty. If we don't keep Hackett then position changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom