D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Don't understand why you would promote without seeing if there is anything better out there first by interviewing other coaches.

Seems like just a cheap safe move that COULD hurt the program again and kill all the momentum. (not saying it will)

And by no means do I think Shafer is the worst person for the job or do I think he will not do the best job he can but I would like to see us use the fact that we are going to the ACC and coming off a big bowl win to hopefully get some different HC options.

How many would have hired Marrone? MacPherson? Pasqualoni?

Mac had already been a HC. All had NE ties.

Offense sells in the Dome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The dc from ND? There aren't many openings right now... We have a shot if he wants to consider a promotion.
Why would his hire represent going big and Shafer does not? They are both DC's, after all.

Why would his hire represent going big and Shafer does not? They are both DC's, after all.

Is Shafer widely known has an outstanding recruiter by many people? Is Shafer coaching the defense in the national title game? Is Shafer coaching the number 1 ranked scoring defense in the FBS?

Really the d coordinator from ND who btw led them to the title game is the same as Shafer? The same guy who beat Shafer for a major recruit last year? They are the same?

Really? People realize that we were a .500 team with a very questionable defense at times over the last 4 years, right? Remember the UCONN game where they ran the same play the entire second half.

we know more about schafer than we did about the guy after Robinson when hired

he plays defense balls to the walls 90% of the time-kids love to play that way

hackett has started to develop a balls to the walls offense-kids like that

nuff said

I hated the Marrone hire the day it was announced.

This is Gross's job, and the university has to sign off on it. If they go with Shafer, so be it, hope it works out.

Ain't no certainties with anyone SU might hire.

yeah all the offense we had this year seats were hard to find

You get my point. This town wants offense. Even the bball team is run and gun. Same with lax.

Not sure this is good or bad, but if you want to compare Shafer and Diaco ask yourself how shafer's D would have been with the ND talent or if Ishaq would have gone to ND if Shafer was their D coordinator

How many d-1 schools were hiring jb back in '76. the answer...none

Lol. Different era.

Is Shafer widely known has an outstanding recruiter by many people? Is Shafer coaching the defense in the national title game? Is Shafer coaching the number 1 ranked scoring defense in the FBS?
LOL Does Scott have ND to sell? I wouldn't have been upset with the ND D.C. but SS keeps the mo going. He keeps kids in the program and probablky saves the recruiting class. I don't know the guy and haven't interviewed the other candidates. Just like everyone else on the board.

Some of you say we chose Shafer over Diaco which couldn't be furthur from the truth. Diaco will be doing the choosing beginning tomorrow. Obviously, Dr. Gross figured we had no shot at him.

Don't understand why you would promote without seeing if there is anything better out there first by interviewing other coaches.
How do you know TGD isn't, didn't, or didn't try? How do you know that Shafer wasn't at the top of his short list?

TGD had several days to collect outside interest. Some may even have interviewed or are in the process of interviewing. Maybe Shafer wowed him just like FHCDM impressed the Bills.

This is not only about recruiting. It's the culture the comfort level with existing players. Do u all not remember how many defections we had marrones first yr. u bring in new coach u risk similar uncertainty. If we don't keep Hackett then position changes.
I agree with this. You want your players to be happy, both the recruits, and current players. Keeping much of the current staff in place is good. This is not a GRob staff mind you. This is the staff that ALONG with Marrone built this program back. Many BCS schools have done this exact same thing in a similar situation. You are assuming we can get some of these other coaching candidates. Maybe Dr. Gross put out feelers already and they did not come back positive. He can't drag his feet on this. He needs to continue to build on the momentum here. If he waits, and then does not get one of these dream coaches, he has failed, and lost recruits, and the trust of the current players. Doug built a family. So he divorced them, but the rest of the parents can stick around.

Are they mid level BCS schools hiring on January 7th?

Probably a lot of them would hire from within. It's not like your yoking Shafer from a list of candidates.

Did we even put a list together? Hey, if 5-6 better choices all said no thanks, then it is what it is.

I could make a similar argument for SS...he has probably done more with less than most could have.

ND doesn't recruit, they select. With SU's current facilities and national perception, no coach could recruit similar players to SU.

The good news is that our national perception is on the rise and, as TGD said, we need to maintain that trajectory going forward. Hiring another team's coordinator doesn't guarantee anything more than hiring from within does. Now, if a proven well respected HC (not on probation) comes calling...sign him up.

How do you know TGD isn't, didn't, or didn't try? How do you know that Shafer wasn't at the top of his short list?

TGD had several days to collect outside interest. Some may even have interviewed or are in the process of interviewing. Maybe Shafer wowed him just like FHCDM impressed the Bills.

Wonder why TGD said this afternoon there was a lot of interest in the job from outside?

You get my point. This town wants offense. Even the bball team is run and gun. Same with lax.

And we know that a Shafer-led team won't emphasize a wide open offense, because...

Bill Belichick was a DC, I've been fairly satisfied with the O he's put on the field.

Really the d coordinator from ND who btw led them to the title game is the same as Shafer? The same guy who beat Shafer for a major recruit last year? They are the same?

Really? People realize that we were a .500 team with a very questionable defense at times over the last 4 years, right? Remember the UCONN game where they ran the same play the entire second half.
I guess your suggesting that SS could not have done as well as Diaco with similar talent? ND doesn't recruit, they select.

Wonder why TGD said this afternoon there was a lot of interest in the job from outside?

Because he's full of . I don't care how many phones he has, people are not flocking to be the coach at SU. At least not very qualified ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom