D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Hey, can you give us the scoop on what's been going on since obviously you've been at Gross's side for the past week.

Thanks!

Honest question: do you honestly believe he did a thorough interview process?

Got to love Wayne Williams' quote!
Defensive tackle Wayne Williams, another Syracuse recruit from ASA College, said he was surprised Marrone left.
“But my commitment wasn’t to Doug Marrone,” Williams said. “It was to Syracuse University and the football program.” 

That's the kind of kid we want in the program... the kind that thinks SU IS a destination.

You get my point. This town wants offense. Even the bball team is run and gun. Same with lax.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Run and gun. Were you aware that that was the offense that Baldwin-Wallace College ran when Scott Shafer was QB for that team way back when?

Goodbye Hack
I'm hoping he stays with the program ... OC with a raise. His offense was one of the best in the nation this year. Some of that credit goes to Nassib, obviously, and to Marone. And the play-calling wasn't as brassy as Shafer's defense. But ... I hope DG will do what it takes to keep this excellent staff in place while Doug betters his career.

Run and gun. Were you aware that that was the offense that Baldwin-Wallace College ran when Scott Shafer was QB for that team way back when?
I truly think that is what makes him a good DC. He knows what makes a QB uncomfortable.

OK this thread is going on 8 pages. Can we start pg 9 with a short summary as to where we are in this thread for those too lazy to read back.
j/k

Were you aware that GRob was a TE and was also an OC at UCLA for a year?

Daily Orange Sports@DOsports
Kelly said he received a call from Floyd Little, saying coordinators Shafer and Nathaniel Hackett will be with program
That's interesting, because if Floyd Little called a recruit, he would have had to be named a coach... At least temporarily...

That's interesting, because if Floyd Little called a recruit, he would have had to be named a coach... At least temporarily...

Would he have to for a signed, sealed & delivered JUCO like Kelly? Not sure how the rule applies to that situation.

And we know that a Shafer-led team won't emphasize a wide open offense, because...

Bill Belichick was a DC, I've been fairly satisfied with the O he's put on the field.

And he spent 4 years as an asst HC and 4-5 years as a HC before NE. I already said either a HC or OC. Shafer has not been a HC nor OC, so the Belichick comparison doesn't work.

In the article it stated he was able to talk because he had a signed letter of intent.

Because he's full of ****. I don't care how many phones he has, people are not flocking to be the coach at SU. At least not very qualified ones.

And if that assumpion is true (we don't know for fact), then it is compeltely appropriate to hire within.

Daily Orange Sports@DOsports
Kelly said he received a call from Floyd Little, saying coordinators Shafer and Nathaniel Hackett will be with program

Smart kid. When Floyd Little calls you, you tweet that so everyone knows. Kind of cool to have Floyd Little call you on the phone.

Went on the cheap and short term vision. Just like Marrone's complaints. Oh well. Good luck HCSS. Hope it works out

Full of assumptions there, aren't we?

Continuity is what this program needs in the short term, not the "next big name" who would likely be gone after a few years anyway.

Get the QBs in this class in, they are important. My goodness your post is so negative it's not even funny.

Were you aware that GRob was a TE and was also an OC at UCLA for a year?

Now you're grasping at straws, and veiled comparisons of GRob to Shafer. Not hyperbolic at all.

its a great hire especially if hack stays on. This team is rising and I don't see why we need to change it up. At this time it is the best and smartest hire. Let's see what HCSS can do.

Honest question: do you honestly believe he did a thorough interview process?

SHAFER HAS BEEN AT SYRACUSE FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCCESSION PLANNING?

Defensive tackle Wayne Williams, another Syracuse recruit from ASA College, said he was surprised Marrone left.
“But my commitment wasn’t to Doug Marrone,” Williams said. “It was to Syracuse University and the football program.” 

That's the kind of kid we want in the program... the kind that thinks SU IS a destination.

Love it.

SHAFER HAS BEEN AT SYRACUSE FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCCESSION PLANNING?

Didn't many say (during the melt down over the week end) how great it was that when Chip Kelly became the first college coach to go pro this year that they all ready knew the OC would take over...oh wait he went back I get so confused. I think it is great SS gets a chance to be a head coach, BTW do you think it was a coincidence that we brought in one of his guys to coach?

You get my point. This town wants offense. Even the bball team is run and gun. Same with lax.

So is the football team. I don't get your point either.

The dc from ND? There aren't many openings right now... We have a shot if he wants to consider a promotion.

Why is Diaco any better than our own Coordinator who runs a great defensive scheme and has done a great job doing it with substantially less?

This hire is not about the recruiting class. It's about the turnaround in the culture and direction of the program. This hire is about keeping that going, and not wiping us back to another clean slate. I'm behind it 100%.