D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

D. Kelly says Shaffer is the new HC

Some of you say we chose Shafer over Diaco which couldn't be furthur from the truth. Diaco will be doing the choosing beginning tomorrow. Obviously, Dr. Gross figured we had no shot at him.

Agree, I Like the Shafer hire. He's the best head coach $1.25 million can buy.

Did we even put a list together? Hey, if 5-6 better choices all said no thanks, then it is what it is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think Gross made it pretty clear that he wants to CONTINUE the culture and style of play DM built in today's interview with this hire...

...so the obvious choice is to promote from within if that is the primary goal.

It's also the easy hire, to be sure... however, it might not be the wrong one... Time will tell.

Total FAIL if true... gotta at least try to go big. Nothing against Shafer but you have to take advantage of the program's momentum and pending ACC schedule and go big.
I don't see us going big, for a multitude of reasons, (one being it is not in the DNA). I would rather have a Schafer or a Stony Brook/Troy St/Ball St type coach anyways. Coach Mac wasn't "going big".

Not sure this is good or bad, but if you want to compare Shafer and Diaco ask yourself how shafer's D would have been with the ND talent or if Ishaq would have gone to ND if Shafer was their D coordinator
And ask if Schafer can get Ishaq to realize ND was a mistake he he. We need to have somebody pull that off. Listening Dad??

Wonder why TGD said this afternoon there was a lot of interest in the job from outside?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
In sales , it's known as puffery.

The claims made by puffery may be false, but they are not really lies because no one can disprove them. No one can prove them either. A company may claim that its hamburger is the best hamburger in the world. No one can prove the hamburger is really the best, but no one can prove it is not. However, if the advertiser says that its hamburger contains ingredients that help to prevent cancer, that is something science could prove or disprove. Trying to persuade someone that hamburgers prevent cancer would be a false claim.

In other words... it's bullshit.;) Hey, who wouldn't want to coach at Syracuse?

Gross is smart. He has a stage right now, and he uses it well. Sounds good that he has had lots of interest from other coaches, whether true or not. Then still sounds ok that we have decided to promote from within, from our Syracuse Football family. He can't lose. He plays the game pretty well.

I think Gross made it pretty clear that he wants to CONTINUE the culture and style of play DM built in today's interview with this hire...

...so the obvious choice is to promote from within if that is the primary goal.

It's also the easy hire, to be sure... however, it might not be the wrong one... Time will tell.
There is risk in every hire. No way around it.

I don't see us going big, for a multitude of reasons, (one being it is not in the DNA). I would rather have a Schafer or a Stony Brook/Troy St/Ball St type coach anyways. Coach Mac wasn't "going big".
Foo is advocating for Notre Dame's DC...by definition, thats not "going big".

Going big would be attempting to lure a high profile HC away from another institution. At this time, SU doesn't have that kind of appeal or piggy bank.

I'm fine with this hire. Going internal makes sense right now. The program isn't a train wreck like it was four years ago. It needed an overhaul. It needed someone like Marrone. It would be crazy to bring in someone with new ideas. Marrone built a model, and we should continue with that model until it doesn't work. Even if Hackett leaves, Shafer knows he needs to find someone with similar offensive philosophies. This is much like passing the torch from Mac to P, and that worked fine. Give Shafer two years. If he's a bust, we're still in the ACC and you can make a bolder move.

LGO!

Daily Orange Sports@DOsports
Kelly said he received a call from Floyd Little, saying coordinators Shafer and Nathaniel Hackett will be with program

Kelly said he received a call from Floyd Little, saying coordinators Shafer and Nathaniel Hackett will be with program
:):)

Who is Kelly? Pardon my ignorance but I'm just drawing a blank. (Recruit?)

Haven't read this entire thread yet, so maybe this is covered, but if Shafer is the choice, I hope it means that Hackett is staying on. This plan works best if we're truly keeping as much continuity as possible. If not, I think we have to give a longer look to external hires. Plus I would worry we're just taking the cheap and easy route. This is a small recruiting class, so it's less risky to wait and get it right.

I hope this works out but just trying to compile names it seems like this idea fails (Spaziani, Bill Stewart, Luke Fickell, John L Smith, soon to be Kyle Flood) more than it works out (Peterson) in college football. I didn't include Chip Kelly or Jimbo or Bielema's Wiscy years because they were either named or assumed coaches in waiting with a retirement upcoming. Included Sweater Vest and Extra Marital Affair's successors because those programs were thought to left in good shape, at least on the field.

If this is the case, I'm fine with it and fairly happy. But, we have already seen recruits haven't exactly been told the truth through this process.

If not the case, then I'd prefer we look around a bit before making a quick decision though in the end it still may be the right one.

If this is the case, I'm fine with it and fairly happy. But, we have already seen recruits haven't exactly been told the truth through this process.
Would Floyd lie about this? To a recruit who has already signed a LOI?

Would Floyd lie about this? To a recruit who has already signed a LOI?
No, I do not think Floyd would at all - to quote him from his book: "my word is all I have".

Guess I missed that Mr. Little was the one who talked to him.

As I said, I'm happy with this route if its the way it ends up - the fact that it came from Floyd no makes me a bit excited it's the result and we can move forward.