Class of 2014 - Dakari Johnson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Dakari Johnson

Yes, but a good planning team will always be preparing for the worst-case scenario (that has at least a possible chance of happening).

If I were running the recruiting efforts, my worst-case scenario would be:

- MWC leaving (MCW I would put at ~65% chance right now that he leaves, my best guess)

- RAK leaving (RAK I would put at ~35% chance right now that he leaves, best guess...this also reflects my belief that if MCW leaves, RAK will also be a little more likely to leave as well, since they are good friends...although this is not the best way to make such decisions, I can see it having a little impact, IMO)

- and one of either DaJuan Coleman or CJ Fair leaving (My best guess is that there is ~20% chance DaJuan Coleman would be one & done...I actually think he may be good enough to leave after this year if he really wanted to go, but I think he has a good head on his shoulders & will determine it best to stick around for another season...~10% chance CJ Fair blows up this year and heads off to NBA...which is not a likely scenario, but if planning for the worst, CJ's odds, combined with DaJuan's odds, become large enough that you may want to be conservative and consider 1 of them leaving, IMO)

And if nobody leaves, then great, but at least you have a plan in place in case of a mass exodus.
I would agree with those percentages, CJ is someone not alot of people are talking about leaving early but I think he should be on the radar like you mention.

I think this may be a good thing for us. I know the UK fans are all bent out of shape.

We might actually be in the same boat now, at least partially. We may only have room for say, Roberson. Or MCW, DC, and Rak could all leave early and we could look at 2 or 3 out of Roberson, Vonleh, Lawrence, Johnson, and Jordan

Big difference between having one spot to fill in the spring at the last minute based on who declares for the NBA, and having to fill five spots, like Kentucky tries to do.

Great players aren't afraid. Also, don't underestimate the impact of having our 6th man picked 4th. It tells kids if your good enough you will get enough time to make an impact and get drafted, even if you come off the bench.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

That is our ultimate sales pitch right now. Coach will let you know when you're ready. We are going to play 9 or 10 guys. If you're good enough, you will get court time and the scouts will see you. It's not who starts that matters; it's who finishes.

If Jared Sullinger did not turn pro after his freshman year their is little chance that Coleman will IMHO, can't see Coleman putting up those type of numbers but will take them if he does, just very little chance that both our bigs can breakout the same year and both leave, on emaybe but both, no way. I think Christmas is here longer than Coleman at the end of the day, Christmas needs to establish a consistent 15 footer before the NBA is interested. With all that being said if you add one of them to the C position for 13-14 that is a pretty solid team, and that may be an understatement. IMO MCW is already gone.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think the NBA is interested in bigs without jump shots. Did Fab Melo have a jump shot? Sullinger?

He is already on the radar. Can't take much from exhibition but if he continues to fill up the stat sheet, i.e. RBs, blocks, steals, assists, then he is gone.

Big difference between having one spot to fill in the spring at the last minute based on who declares for the NBA, and having to fill five spots, like Kentucky tries to do.
I think these reclassifications may be Cal's kryptonite.

@PSBasketball
SU always after him. Remains that way. @seanmc243 Dakari Johnson has re-classified to 2013, does Cuse shift their main focus on him?

interesting.

Now that we have McCullouch, I think we would prefer Dakari Johnson to Roberson or Vonleh (who I still don't think is that interested in us). Johnson has future pro written all over him.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think the NBA is interested in bigs without jump shots. Did Fab Melo have a jump shot? Sullinger?

He is already on the radar. Can't take much from exhibition but if he continues to fill up the stat sheet, i.e. RBs, blocks, steals, assists, then he is gone.
Sullinger made a mistake staying another year.

Difference is that Fab Melo is a much taller, bigger player with a similar skill set, whereas Sullinger is a guy with a very good traditional low post offensive game.

Rak is not as big as Fab Melo and he's not as good offensively as Sullinger. He's not going anywhere until he develops a jump shot and a better motor. He has to play hard and with emotion ALL the time to be the player he can be.

Sullinger is a good shooter and fab is 7 feet. Xmas needs a serviceable jumo shot.

That said o do think cmas is a fantastic pro prospect.

at the beginning of the summer I wanted Roberson, but at this point I would rather he choose Nova

I think we are fine at this point without him, and adding him wouldn't change much for next year. Whereas adding a Wiggins/Vonleh/Lawrence in the spring would make us immediately better next year.

Hopefully Johnson is not in a rush to make a decision and will let things play out with Coleman and Xmas. JB is under the impression that Coleman could be one an done so maybe he told Johnson regardless of year there is a spot for him.

That said o do think cmas is a fantastic pro prospect.
I think he could be a poor man's Amare. It all depends how he plays as the year goes on, but the fact that he is already on the radar means if he plays big minutes (he will) on a top 15 team all year it should be easy for him to get drafted.

I think he could be a poor man's Amare. It all depends how he plays as the year goes on, but the fact that he is already on the radar means if he plays big minutes (he will) on a top 15 team all year it should be easy for him to get drafted.

He doesn't begin to run the floor like Stoudamire and Stoudamire can hit a jump shot. Of course the kid is going to continue to improve his skills, but the more I watch him, the more I think Christmas may wind up being a 4 year player.

He doesn't begin to run the floor like Stoudamire and Stoudamire can hit a jump shot. Of course the kid is going to continue to improve his skills, but the more I watch him, the more I think Christmas may wind up being a 4 year player.
when he was drafted? or now?

CJ is not going pro after this season, unless he's planning to play overseas. He is a solid college player, but he's not even remotely close to being ready for the NBA. His outside shot has only been remotely consistent from 10-12. He needs to extend it out a lot further than that before he's going to be a serious threat to make an NBA team. He isn't going to play PF in the NBA.

CJ is not going pro after this season, unless he's planning to play overseas. He is a solid college player, but he's not even remotely close to being ready for the NBA. His outside shot has only been remotely consistent from 10-12. He needs to extend it out a lot further than that before he's going to be a serious threat to make an NBA team. He isn't going to play PF in the NBA.
Beauty is that he can been a 2nd team AA selection next season.

Sullinger made a mistake staying another year.

Sullinger could have been a lottery pick after his Freshman year. It was his choice to return for his Sophmore season and he probably dropped 3 or 4 spots had he gone as a Freshman.

Roberson to Nova, Dakari to Cuse. Could it be?
I like Roberson, but I would take that deal without hesitation. Do you have something indicating this, or just a thought?

Roberson to Nova, Dakari to Cuse. Could it be?

If its a choice between the two, take the big every time... I don't believe it is, as Florida and Kentucky are definitely gonna be in it for DJ

If we were lucky enough to land Dakari Johnson, that would be four years in a row with a McDonald's All American center, assuming he makes it.

He should stay, IMO, but who knows. If he can hit the 3 this year, he will take a big leap up.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2013-nba-draft-top-10-small-forward-prospects

His reclassification to 2013 is not without hassle ... http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...johnson-montverde-academy-reclassifies-senior

He'll still have 1 credit lacking, which he'll have to make up in "summer school". Also, he has to take the college entrance exam b/f he's eligible to do official visits. And he's planning on finishing his "senior" season b/f he visits.

Sounds like he's playing the spring game along with a bunch of other high-profile recruits.

Not sure if all that is positive for the 'Cuse, but he's reportedly a slight cuse lean, so maybe it's all by design and we're part of the design.