Class of 2014 - Dakari Johnson | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Dakari Johnson

We have a game next Monday I think it was Yesterday
Ya, in that MCW article he mentions that he had to call Boeheim who was down in Florida.

Obviously Dakari is a pretty real possibility if JB is spending the time to go to watch him in season between games when we already have 6 new incoming players (Ennis, Patterson, Johnson, Gbinije, Roberson, Obokoh).

I don't know what to make of it, especially with McCullough still talking about reclassifying, although maybe that is more dream than reality.

Anyway as things have gone so far this season, I really don't see Christmas, Keita or DCII going anywhere, unless they are going the international or minor leagues route. MCW looks like he will be the scholarship that frees up and potentially making room for one more guy, but while that opens a scholarship it doesn't help the balance between backcourt and frontcourt players.

If you add either Dakari or McCullough, it would seem to me to create a huge log jam, especially with Jerami Grant showing as much as he has so far already.

there are 30 games left in the season, you don't think any of them can get better or show enough to get drafted?

there are 30 games left in the season, you don't think any of them can get better or show enough to get drafted?

Never suggested they could not get better. I hope and expect that they will continue to improve over the course of the season, just not sure they will make a jump from where they are now to being draft material at the end of this season. Admittedly, I am no scout and have a hard time judging exactly what the NBA sees in one prospect, but not in another. Of course, looking at the draft results the last few years against current team rosters and I think that the scouts have a similar problem.

Never suggested they could not get better. I hope and expect that they will continue to improve over the course of the season, just not sure they will make a jump from where they are now to being draft material at the end of this season. Admittedly, I am no scout and have a hard time judging exactly what the NBA sees in one prospect, but not in another. Of course, looking at the draft results the last few years against current team rosters and I think that the scouts have a similar problem.
saying they are not going anywhere definitely suggests that

saying they are not going anywhere definitely suggests that

No it does not suggest that I believe they won't get better. We are a college program and the players performance is measured on their ability to play at the college level, not on their pro prospects. I fully expect them to get better. Saying they are not going anywhere (at the end of this season (implied) suggests that I don't believe they are going to improve enough that they will enter the draft. Lots of underclassmen improve significantly and return.

Obviously Dakari is a pretty real possibility if JB is spending the time to go to watch him in season between games when we already have 6 new incoming players (Ennis, Patterson, Johnson, Gbinije, Roberson, Obokoh).

I don't know what to make of it, especially with McCullough still talking about reclassifying, although maybe that is more dream than reality.

Anyway as things have gone so far this season, I really don't see Christmas, Keita or DCII going anywhere, unless they are going the international or minor leagues route. MCW looks like he will be the scholarship that frees up and potentially making room for one more guy, but while that opens a scholarship it doesn't help the balance between backcourt and frontcourt players.

If you add either Dakari or McCullough, it would seem to me to create a huge log jam, especially with Jerami Grant showing as much as he has so far already.
pfister, I'm with you, I'm having a tough time figuring what sales pitch is being used. I, too, think Rak, BMK, and DC2 don't look like they are ready. While SU may want Dakari, it seems like a very difficult sell job considering what looks to be a logjammed center position for next year.

Some have said that Rak says he is gone. With JB going to FL, those posts start to gain credence.

I think Roc is gone. Whether he is ready for the NBA is a separate question from whether he will get drafted in the first round. If you look at round college ball this years freshmen class is one of the worse in a decade or so. Shabazz is horribly overrated for example. The NBA draft is a numbers game. If you are a first round pick you should probably go pro, if you are a lottery pick you almost MUST go pro. I'm not sure if he is a first rounder but he has all the measurables which is more important than basketball skill. NBA teams believe they can develop a persons basketball but they can't develop your measurables. Next years class is a monster there are probably 15 guys who will be freshmen next year that are locks for the first round and the rest of the country will be fighting for the other 15 spots. Roc will develop faster playing a year in the D-league and getting paid for it than playing another year here for free...

THIS IS ON THE MONEY. Dakari isn't coming here unless one of our bigs blossoms and leaves. But, Kentucky has the same problem with Nerlens Noel not being a likely NBA early entrant with the way he has started this year. He is no Anthony Davis.

Waiters 6th man-Lottery pick
MCM couldn't crack the lineup last year-potential Lottery pick
If Dakari is as good as advertised he ought not to worry bout playin and/or the NBA. Especially if Xmas leaves.

pfister, I'm with you, I'm having a tough time figuring what sales pitch is being used. I, too, think Rak, BMK, and DC2 don't look like they are ready. While SU may want Dakari, it seems like a very difficult sell job considering what looks to be a logjammed center position for next year.

Some have said that Rak says he is gone. With JB going to FL, those posts start to gain credence.
I don't think there is a sell job, I think the kid legit wants to come here. I think there is a mutual understanding that Rak and/or Coleman would need to leave for him to come here

THIS IS ON THE MONEY. Dakari isn't coming here unless one of our bigs blossoms and leaves. But, Kentucky has the same problem with Nerlens Noel not being a likely NBA early entrant with the way he has started this year. He is no Anthony Davis.
Noel is a projected top 3 pick, not coming back

Everyone seems to assume that if the PT is available, Dakari is SU bound. What is the strong connection here?

Everyone seems to assume that if the PT is available, Dakari is SU bound. What is the strong connection here?
NY kid moved to Florida, big Cuse fan. That's all I got. Also wants to be a communications major.

JB wouldn't be going this hard unless he knows one of the BIGS is leaving. Rak is gone, and the staff has known it.

JB wouldn't be going this hard unless he knows one of the BIGS is leaving. Rak is gone, and the staff has known it.
Where the he!! is Rak going - to the CBA, Overseas or NBDL, cause he sure ain't going to make in the NBA right now.

Where the he!! is Rak going - to the CBA, Overseas or NBDL, cause he sure ain't going to make in the NBA right now.
Good thing the draft isn't "right now".

I don't visit nor post in the recruiting forums very often but I have to agree with anomander. Rak could easily be drafted based on visible potential and not on college results. It's not uncommon.

the coaches seem to be under the impression that Rak and Coleman could be gone this year

not saying he is nba ready by a long stretch, or would even be a smart decision. hell he has even been falling on all the mock drafts, but this staff is recruiting, especially big guys, like they know something. not to mention rumblings that some families members may be pushing for it. obviously all speculation, but it just seems to fit.

It seems plausible that Rak is the one who could leave...and not for the NBA. I don't think he's thrilled playing out on the wing or playing the zone for that matter. Would he be happier going to another school where he could play center and man defense? Something to consider. JB isn't making trips to see Dakari for no reason.