Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beavis And Butthead Shut Up GIF

I’d like to pile my uninformed opinion here before the lock.

Fran counts community service toward the allotted practice time, yes? If so, fair play.

If he’s asking these guys to do community service on top of the grueling schedule of a D-1 football player, then that’s lame as hell.

Okay, carry on.

I’d like to pile my uninformed opinion here before the lock.

Fran counts community service toward the allotted practice time, yes? If so, fair play.

If he’s asking these guys to do community service on top of the grueling schedule of a D-1 football player, then that’s lame as hell.

Okay, carry on.
Fair. How grueling is the schedule post season and before spring ball? That’s the time frame this all took place in.

Not bingo

IF that were the case Damien would have known he was being dismissed and would not have posted that he learned of his dismissal after the program (Fran’s program - Fran’s responsibility) went public with the action and tweeted that Damien had been dismissed.

Keep in mind, word is there are a few players who had “the talk” in December and have been allowed to stay in the program so they can put together some film before they exit the program and hit the portal. So, although Damien should have game film and shouldn’t need film from the spring to show his skills, thus asking to stay in the program while you “consider” (decision not actually made yet) wouldn’t have been out of the question.

To me (just a thought), when a player who has previously been in good standing gets a face to face meeting with the head coach (because he’s been told that’s what men do) and tells the HC that he is “considering” leaving after he graduates at the end of the spring semester, it sounds like the player is seeking some guidance, some mentorship. It appears as though he was shown the door instead of receiving any guidance. A terribly lost opportunity to help this young man. When players are graduating and have eligibility still on the table they are faced with many decisions like do I stay and pursue a masters degree here at Syracuse? If I do, which program is a fit? Or should I look at other schools that have a a masters program that better suits me?

It’s a shame this young man who in his words was “considering” his future got kicked to the curb and his business was made public. It didn’t have to happen this way.
Seems out of character for HCFB

Fair. How grueling is the schedule post season and before spring ball? That’s the time frame this all took place in.
It's not. They are also on a scholarship and many with NIL deals. I don't think it's unreasonable. And anyone who has come here since Fran has been the HC, it should not be a surprise at all. Guys here before Fran the portal is right there as well. He's been rather straight forward about what his expectations are.

Don't like it leave and his approach certainly isn't for everyone and that's fine. His approach is unique, I think he's the type of gut that you either love playing for him or you won't because I don't think he's going to waiver much. If he wins, he will be loved, if he doesn't just another approach that didn't work.

And again, I am all in because whatever we have been doing the last 24 years has been a failure for the most part other than 2-3 seasons, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
It's not. They are also on a scholarship and many with NIL deals. I don't think it's unreasonable. And anyone who has come here since Fran has been the HC, it should not be a surprise at all. Guys here before Fran the portal is right there as well. He's been rather straight forward about what his expectations are.

Don't like it leave and his approach certainly isn't for everyone and that's fine. His approach is unique, I think he's the type of gut that you either love playing for him or you won't because I don't think he's going to waiver much. If he wins, he will be loved, if he doesn't just another approach that didn't work.

And again, I am all in because whatever we have been doing the last 24 years has been a failure for the most part other than 2-3 seasons, it's worth a shot.
I see nothing wrong with community service requirements. It's character building.

The thing that made me a little uncomfortable, if what I was told was correct, was that the players as a team were required to attend church services. They have done this twice now as a team according to an interview by Coach Johnson. Attending religious services should be a personal choice not a requirement.

I see nothing wrong with community service requirements. It's character building.

The thing that made me a little uncomfortable, if what I was told was correct, was that the players as a team were required to attend church services. They have done this twice now as a team according to an interview by Coach Johnson. Attending religious services should be a personal choice not a requirement.
Wut? Wow

I should have had you talk to my parents when I was growing up.

Yeah, that's something that shouldn't be forced.

Well the U.S. Navy required recruits to attend church services when I served. Not sure if they still do. Denomination was your choice. The alternative was something no one wanted to do, but there was an alternative. Pretty much everyone chose a church service.

Community service is a reflection of character, rather than a character builder, imo. Forcing guys to go plant flowers in a park, or whatever, is unlikely to lead to any personal development. But I’ll digress.

If there is truth to the religious stuff, then yikes!
Well if they are so opposed they can leave whenever they want. You couldn't pay me to sit through any church service but I don't play for Fran Brown or have a scholarship to play at Syracuse

Yeah, that's something that shouldn't be forced.

I'm pretty sure that is not legal and if put out in the public would definitely get someone in trouble.

The church attendance would have to be voluntary . Otherwise the mandate would be illegal. Not good at all, if true. Where can we listen to the Johnson interviews?

All he said is that they attended church as a team twice. That it was a requirement was told to me by someone else. That is why I stated "if what I was told was correct". I don't know it for a fact.
5:36 mark. Michael Johnson said “we all go to church together”. Nothing in the interview inferred that it was mandated, I’d have to assume that the person who told you that was misunderstanding as that would be a civil rights violation.

Big difference between kids who want to go to church voluntarily going with their HC, and kids going under compulsion. Not being argumentative but it is a huge difference and a really big accusation.

I'm pretty sure that is not legal and if put out in the public would definitely get someone in trouble.
Let's not go overboard on either side, while an ongoing requirement to a specific church or implied punishment isn't right, going twice as a group to religious services isn't torture and not close to being waterboarded either. Sit there listen respectfully and get out of it what you wish. Not a big fan of the dogma of religion but what religious services being required of me as an adolescent opened up alot beneficial pursuit of questions about higher powers, higher thought, meaning of life, how do I want to live my life, do unto others, how do I want to be perceived, my guiding principles. And a few things I saw I didn't like also.
All deep moral and personal exposure to self insight and analysis which benefits us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom