damn shame how the program has been treated the last 20 years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

damn shame how the program has been treated the last 20 years

After McCord commitment and reading in various places i was not only struck by how much negative comments he got from Ohio ST fans but the overall almost laughing at the thought of SU Football. I mean from comments like i didnt even know they played football anymore to oh he will lead them to a 6 win season and this was coming from other than Ohio state fans. The mockery of the program is sad.

I hope Fran can do more than recruit and his staff can bring us back to respectable at least . It was an eye opener to see how fans from all over view the program in its current state.
There's obviously a lot of that among casual fans, but if you take a look at reddit CFB you'll see a lot of people from many different fan bases who are quite impressed with what FB has done. The people who really follow college football, especially reddit sickos, are pretty high on Syracuse right now.

Only winning will end it, and that is on us. That being said, during the P era the folks at ESPN never really got behind us in the way they did for Virginia Tech who they treats as the up-and-coming darling of the CFB world. It's actually kind of fun to be the outsider doing well, so long as we don't end up on the outside looking in, whatever that will mean in the grand re-organization of the sport.

Go back though, and look at what Syracuse was investing in football vs what Va Tech was at that time. It was a huge difference, the folks at ESPN could visibly see the difference - and they were betting on who they thought the stronger horse was. I vividly remember Beeno Cook being asked about Syracuse football after the Gator Bowl when we blew out Clemson - he basically said Syracuse didn’t invest enough in football to remain competitive long term. It irritated me then, but now I think that the unsustainability of the school’s approach back then was obvious to everyone except the BOT and Orangemen fans.

I have some hope the school has realized shooting for “competitive” and being happy with 8-4 seasons is a terrible approach - it’s what got us a whole lot of 4-8 seasons (or worse) over the last two decades. There’s been enough investment and NIL work that if Syracuse starts winning and gets top end folks from networks working a game, there’s a chance they’ll look around, be impressed by how much better it is than what they thought they’d see - and will think there’s a chance that success will be sustainable this time.

Go back though, and look at what Syracuse was investing in football vs what Va Tech was at that time. It was a huge difference, the folks at ESPN could visibly see the difference - and they were betting on who they thought the stronger horse was. I vividly remember Beeno Cook being asked about Syracuse football after the Gator Bowl when we blew out Clemson - he basically said Syracuse didn’t invest enough in football to remain competitive long term. It irritated me then, but now I think that the unsustainability of the school’s approach back then was obvious to everyone except the BOT and Orangemen fans.

I have some hope the school has realized shooting for “competitive” and being happy with 8-4 seasons is a terrible approach - it’s what got us a whole lot of 4-8 seasons (or worse) over the last two decades. There’s been enough investment and NIL work that if Syracuse starts winning and gets top end folks from networks working a game, there’s a chance they’ll look around, be impressed by how much better it is than what they thought they’d see - and will think there’s a chance that success will be sustainable this time.
Jake and Buzz really left P out to dry. If we had as much commitment to the program in the 90s as we do right now, the history of SU football over the last 20 years would be much different.

There's obviously a lot of that among casual fans, but if you take a look at reddit CFB you'll see a lot of people from many different fan bases who are quite impressed with what FB has done. The people who really follow college football, especially reddit sickos, are pretty high on Syracuse right now.

The average person opining on any topic is an idiot. I never understood when media would go for “man on the street” opinions - it’s basically saying “we asked what a bunch of dummies think, and here’s what they said”. That I’ve had a few acquaintances that are involved in college sports comment to me that Fran Brown might turn out great means a lot more to me than what some idiot pounding his keyboard in Ohio “thinks”.

I don’t know enough to have an intelligent opinion on FB - I do know the people I think might have an intelligent and informed opinion are cautiously optimistic is encouraging though.

Jake and Buzz really left P out to dry. If we had as much commitment to the program in the 90s as we do right now, the history of SU football over the last 20 years would be much different.
But the problem was the duo that came after was worse.

I know you all (I say you all as I became a fan in the 20/21 off season) have been through so much, but fun times are ahead. Let's turn the page and get ready for a wild ride.

Agree what was said earlier in that people have short memories. If Syracuse puts together a good 2-3 year run all will be forgotten.

OSU football is the largest fan base in college sports -- so there will be a lot of morons. However, I can tell you the other day that I read a thread on an OSU website with all of them talking about the great moves that Syracuse is making around coaching. I think Fran Brown is widely respected across all fan bases.

I both agree it's crappy it's so easy to disrespect our program and feel it's our own fault things are that way.

We can turn it around. Fran's well on the road to that, and even better, he believes Syracuse has what it needs for him to be successful.

If you are a fairly young fan of any power program, you have only known Syracuse football to be mediocre at best. It bothers me to read the 'Syracuse are filthy peasants' take by some but to some degree, that is all they have known.
1000001549.gif

The schedule doing a 180 right as we get good and having by far the toughest in the ACC to likely the easiest is going to help.

But we were something of an afterthought 20 years ago before the wheels came off.

I spend some time on SEC football boards. Syracuse is generally viewed as a football laughingstock. Hard to argue with the results over the past 25 years.

We haven't been the greatest...

Let the haters, hate. My hope is that Fran can bring us back to the national conversation. Let em hate Northeast football, too.

I hope when the music stops, we have a seat at the Big Boy table. In the end, that's what really matters.
Absolutely. These next 5 years are crucial. Losing our AAU accreditation under Cantor didn’t help since this is what the B10 would prefer. It sounds like they would be more interested in UNC/Duke for their basketball brand since football is set. Have to make these next 5 years count

Absolutely. When other schools were investing back into their programs when the facility arms race really took off we were still putting the athletic department earnings into the University slush fund. I also think a lot of the decision makers were too focused on college basketball when it’s was still decently relevant. They couldn’t comprehend that you had to pay a head football coach more than Jim Boeheim. A lot of terrible, self-inflicted, decisions got us to where we have been.

I spend some time on SEC football boards. Syracuse is generally viewed as a football laughingstock. Hard to argue with the results over the past 25 years.
I don’t think they would say anything nice about any ACC team other than FSU and Clemson though it’s not just us.

If you are a fairly young fan of any power program, you have only known Syracuse football to be mediocre at best. It bothers me to read the 'Syracuse are filthy peasants' take by some but to some degree, that is all they have known. View attachment 235370
Actually the young fans call Syracuse a poverty program.

We haven't been the greatest...

Let the haters, hate. My hope is that Fran can bring us back to the national conversation. Let em hate Northeast football, too.

I hope when the music stops, we have a seat at the Big Boy table. In the end, that's what really matters.
Yeah I am with you on that. Honestly what were people expecting? We have had what? Maybe 2 good teams in 20 years? We need to earn back our relevance. Win games, win recruiting battles and put more guys in the NFL and the narrative will change. Honestly though who gives a scheet if people like us? Us against the world! When we leave another teams stadium with a dub in the future, the coaches, players and fans will be saying "Effin Syracuse, what the hell? They just rolled us!" and we will feed on their tears and disbelief.

We will feed on their tears and disbelief.

I sure hope so. What does it take to change the narrative?

Consistent 8 win years would go a long way. I also wonder if scheduling some tough OOC games would be a good thing? Ped State, Michigan?

I know you all (I say you all as I became a fan in the 20/21 off season) have been through so much, but fun times are ahead. Let's turn the page and get ready for a wild ride.

I’m sure you‘ve already posted this, but I don’t recall seeing it - why did you become a fan?

I have a similar story of jumping on an empty bandwagon. I started working on an MBA part time at UAlbany in 2003. After classes ended I’d go to the RACC and catch the second half of UAlbany games. The team was terrible (went 5-23), but since I was getting there so late I’d just walk in without a ticket, join the other 50 people there and watch UAlbany lose. But I thought Will Brown had something building, so had hope. My second year the team finished 13-15, the following year they won America East and played in the NCAA tournament (that year I’d bought season tickets). At a packed RACC for the championship game, I remember looking around and thinking very few of the fans there could enjoy that as much as me, because I’d been there from when the team was terrible.

Hopefully both you and I get to experience that same feeling with Syracuse football soon.

Wildhack managed to get some excellent donations to build with the program being mediocre still. If Fran Brown can deliver and elevate the program again we'll see even more come in.

I’m sure you‘ve already posted this, but I don’t recall seeing it - why did you become a fan?

I have a similar story of jumping on an empty bandwagon. I started working on an MBA part time at UAlbany in 2003. After classes ended I’d go to the RACC and catch the second half of UAlbany games. The team was terrible (went 5-23), but since I was getting there so late I’d just walk in without a ticket, join the other 50 people there and watch UAlbany lose. But I thought Will Brown had something building, so had hope. My second year the team finished 13-15, the following year they won America East and played in the NCAA tournament (that year I’d bought season tickets). At a packed RACC for the championship game, I remember looking around and thinking very few of the fans there could enjoy that as much as me, because I’d been there from when the team was terrible.

Hopefully both you and I get to experience that same feeling with Syracuse football soon.
I have posted it before but the short of it is I grew up a NYG fan (third generation) and for the longest time was deeply invested in the Giants.

As my theological understandings have grown I've become a Reformed Baptist (similar to Presbyterian but Baptist) which means I follow the Ten Commandments.. hence no sports on Sunday. This essentially forced my hand away from the NFL and into college football. I do still watch MNF though.

Syracuse is the natural choice as I live two hours away near Clifton Park/ Saratoga. I decided to settle in as a Syracuse fan during the off season between 2020 and 2021 (a low point indeed). Went to our first game in the Dome in 2021 against Wake (loss in OT) and have been obsessed ever since.

Now we’re going on our third year as STH and we have an awesome group of tailgating friends that we love. Best decision ever.

Also it’s not my intention to bring up religion but I can’t honestly explain how/ why it happened without mentioning it.

Wildhack managed to get some excellent donations to build with the program being mediocre still. If Fran Brown can deliver and elevate the program again we'll see even more come in.
Next year will be huge. Its NORMAL for a 1st year coach to have some hiccups. A good year, and the hype train keeps rolling.

Cuse/Donors appear to be giving him Big Boy support. As mentioned, this will be important for the economic and athletic future of the University, and local economy. As long as this continues, things should keep looking promising, for us.

Next year will be huge. Its NORMAL for a 1st year coach to have some hiccups. A good year, and the hype train keeps rolling.

Cuse/Donors appear to be giving him Big Boy support. As mentioned, this will be important for the economic and athletic future of the University, and local economy. As long as this continues, things should keep looking promising, for us.
Fran Brown (winning, recruiting, culture), the University (facilities, salaries, resources, support staff), AND the fans (NIL, donations, attendance) need to do everything they can to restore and expand the Syracuse brand.

Major conference realignment is coming. This is the end game that matters most.

Fran Brown (winning, recruiting, culture), the University (facilities, salaries, resources, support staff), AND the fans (NIL, donations, attendance) need to do everything they can to restore and expand the Syracuse brand.

Avengers Assemble GIF by MOODMAN

And if we get back to being good in football, and basketball again we lock down NYC for the Big.