Dan Mullen | Page 184 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he do there?
He played for three seasons but only started one game. Later got involved in an academic investigation, wasn’t at school for a while, got readmitted but never played again. Never caught on in the NFL.

There’s the in person interview and there’s a paper interview. Mullen is so much better on paper than every other candidate he could drop a deuce on JW’s desk at the in person and still get the job.
giphy.gif

No. You have been saying more than that. It started with basically saying we should be happy with what we have. That we were poor and could never have a successful program. And it was said over and over again. JW has done a wonderful job raising money. Is the job done? Not even close. Will we have to be creative? Yes. But if it was up to you, Dino would still be the coach. No matter the results it appeared.
The central theme to what I have been saying is still the same...Not enough resources. I said the "financial issue was behind our inability to compete on the field , more so than who the coach was, or was not. If we had all the money we needed, JW, would not have to do...what you refer to as creative financing. Everyone wanted to blame Babers for all of Syracuse's ills, and all I tried to point out was that it went deeper than that. Nothing I have seen in print, or in press conferences, or in activity, has made me take a different stance.

Pure speculation.

Everyone needs to sign off on Mullen due to the financials that will be needed for assistant coaches and NIL. If unable to obtain total buy in, then it’s probably Chesney.

JW is probably trying to wrangle everyone together to agree. And if it’s not unanimous then then it’s Chesney. Just a shot in the dark, but if I had to guess that’s probably the delay. Otherwise, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have leaked today if everyone was on board.
F unanimous. Majority rules. The Nahs can bandwagon if it’s the right choice.

The central theme to what I have been saying is still the same...Not enough resources. I said the "financial issue was behind our inability to compete on the field , more so than who the coach was, or was not. If we had all the money we needed, JW, would not have to do...what you refer to as creative financing. Everyone wanted to blame Babers for all of Syracuse's ills, and all I tried to point out was that it went deeper than that. Nothing I have seen in print, or in press conferences, or in activity, has made me take a different stance.
Babers wasn't a good coach. Nice enough guy. Wish he had been a good coach because he represented the University well. All of the money in the world wasn't going to make him a good coach. It would have helped get some players. But even that wouldn't have offset his mind numbing lack of game and clock management. And nothing I have seen has made me take a different stance.

Not seeing anything on that flight from Nashville on either tracking site. Weird. Can't find out if it was the one I saw earlier from Greensboro GA to Nashville.

there's no such thing, reporters break it when they've confirmed it with their sources, it is ridiculous to think he'd hold it because Mullen is ESPN, reporters want to be first to break news, ESPN would want him to break it to show they are the authority on sports news
I think Dan Mullen should break the Dan Mullen-to-Syracuse story. Only seems fair. The question is, does Mrs. Mullen count as a second source?

Last edited:
I think the most likely explanation is that somebody reported an unsubstantiated rumor, which took on legs.
I don't think so. I have no idea what the final result will be. None at all. But I believe JW when he said that he heard from people he was surprised to hear from. And I think there was some smoke behind the fire. I think if there wasn't, we would already have our guy.

Still, this is a communications school. You announce things on Monday that you want people to cover. You announce them on Friday afternoon or the weekend if you don't really want people to notice.
Once the deal is done, a leak on Sunday (quick message to Thamel “Gator has come ashore. Reportable.”), followed by school media release Monday, and press conference follow-up for Monday/Tuesday would create waves.

It would overshadow every other hire and be all over ESPN all day tomorrow.

Once the deal is done, a leak on Sunday (quick message to Thamel “Gator has come ashore. Reportable.”), followed by school media release Monday, and press conference follow-up for Monday/Tuesday would create waves.

I think that's a bit optimistic

I will give that a like

Status
Not open for further replies.