Dan Mullen | Page 234 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, just stop, you're wrong. I have a succession plan for several positions including myself. You can spin this any way you want but you plan for loss, if you don't you're not doing an adequate job
Hooray for you. And like I said, I have no doubt that JW had a list of several potential hires throughout this Fall.

Again though, the idea that he should have had a hire ready to go before he fired Dino is preposterous. Look around college football right now. Who has done that?

Fair enough
But if the restaurant manager has always been Big Lou and his wife, Mabel- it'd be easy to just change management, revamp the menu, and keep it moving.
We've had multiple "managers" aka AD's, all with best of intentions, literally fumble the ball and keep serving the same depressing menu offering to their customers.
Is it more of a systemic deficiency, one that transcends individuals and titles? Is the SU bureaucracy the guilty party?
What we've witnessed over decades has been consistent ineptitude, and all under different management but always bad to mediocre.
We're not gonna close up shop, but maybe it's time to do a massive renovation & radically "change the menu" if you will, so we can get different results. Otherwise we'll all be back in a few years , singing the same sad song. JMHO
Im talking BoT. This is the root cause. They have several life time members no?

Dude, just stop, you're wrong. I have a succession plan for several positions including myself. You can spin this any way you want but you plan for loss, if you don't you're not doing an adequate job
Well for your business whatever it may be that’s fine, but for most of corporate America this just isn’t the case. You can plan for loss, it happens everywhere but to have someone lined up for the job in case of that person leaves just doesn’t happen very often.

And what happens when you offer one of the employees the job and they say no? Or an outside candidate emerges? There's so many variables. I'd be furious if I was passed over for a position because my manager didn't interview me when there was an opening and promoted without interview.

Well for your business whatever it may be that’s fine, but for most of corporate America this just isn’t the case. You can plan for loss, it happens everywhere but to have someone lined up for the job in case of that person leaves just doesn’t happen very often.
I've worked at startups and Fortune 100s and have seen lining up a candidate and having them agree to terms before someone was fired happen once ... just once. I'm not even talking about having signatures mind you, just a hand shake agreement where someone is accepting the job of the soon to be departed without fully locking in terms. And it was only due to straight up nepotism.

You have a succession plan for if/when you get fired?

And what happens when you offer one of the employees the job and they say no? Or an outside candidate emerges? There's so many variables. I'd be furious if I was passed over for a position because my manager didn't interview me when there was an opening and promoted without interview.
Agreed that is bad business and actually from a hiring perspective could get you sued.

Agreed that is bad business and actually from a hiring perspective could get you sued.
you don't choose via blindfold and pointing... you don't play favorites. They are called development plans. if you're on one you're on the bench. if you are not on one, either work to be on one or make your intentions known.

Can I just also say that people are losing their minds over Dan Mullen.

Dan Mullen.

He’s fine. But he’s Dan Mullen.
As well they should for those that want a name coach and don’t want to be struggling in mediocrity for the next ten years. It is a big deal to have a name coach right now…Mullen was a pretty big name….i dont see anyone else on the list that excites me but that’s just me I can’t speak for everyone else

you don't choose via blindfold and pointing... you don't play favorites. They are called development plans. if you're on one you're on the bench. if you are not on one, either work to be on one or make your intentions known.
I'm with you, I have identified a succession plan for every person on my leadership team. anyone leading a business would be foolish not tohave one in this environment. Whether it works out or not, no one knows but you need a plan.

Chesney will be another Dino. Please don't hire him. I can no longer stand a mediocre SU team. I am too old. I need to see a good SU team before I die.
You hit the nail on the head about Chesney being another Dino. Doesn't the University learn from their mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.