Dan Mullen | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Mullen couldn't recruit that well in the south because he wasn't from the south. Maybe he would have just the opposite results recruiting the northeast. I think him being a former SEC coach would be a thing for a lot of recruits from Jersey, Pa. and the DMV.
recruits don't know who he is. I'm not saying I wouldn't hire him, I might depending on my choices, but it would not be because recruits would be saying, a while back, this guy coached in the SEC.

recruits don't know who he is. I'm not saying I wouldn't hire him, I might depending on my choices, but it would not be because recruits would be saying, a while back, this guy coached in the SEC.
I wouldn’t go that far … he was on a sideline and recruiting two years ago and is doing broadcasts every weekend … these kids know.

I wouldn’t go that far … he was on a sideline and recruiting two years ago and is doing broadcasts every weekend … these kids know.
kids in New York and New Jersey and Pa know Mullen. I don't believe it. Kids know right now and that is about it.

There is zero chance Mullen is going to have a worse record here then Dino has at this point. ZERO CHANCE.

You don’t win 100 something games and hate to recruit. He’s a college coach and a very good one. It’s crazy to even think he couldn’t come here and at the very least make us competitive against acc schools and win 8 games a year. His football iq alone is good for a win or two over dino who every game struggles.
Who is saying he is worse than Dino?

IMO we have a 1 in 8 chance of getting a true difference maker as HC. We have a 1 in 8 at hiring a clown. Which leaves a 3 in 4 chance that we get someone who won’t make a huge difference one way or the other.

I feel safe saying Mullen won’t be a disaster. But I also don’t think he will be a big difference maker. So why pay him like a difference maker when we can get someone else who will basically give us the same results for half the price?

We are what we are as a program. No need to pay a HC big money to just be 7-5 anyway.

Recruits have coaches and advisors. I mean, coaching and winning in the SEC is doing it at the highest level of college ball.

What coach would recruits know?

Who is saying he is worse than Dino?

IMO we have a 1 in 8 chance of getting a true difference maker as HC. We have a 1 in 8 at hiring a clown. Which leaves a 3 in 4 chance that we get someone who won’t make a huge difference one way or the other.

I feel safe saying Mullen won’t be a disaster. But I also don’t think he will be a big difference maker. So why pay him like a difference maker when we can get someone else who will basically give us the same results for half the price?

We are what we are as a program. No need to pay a HC big money to just be 7-5 anyway.
the 1 in 8 chance are numbers that you are making up. They may be right but we have no way in knowing. The idea has to be to get the best coach we can get right now. If we have the money, and I don't know what that looks like, we pay for the best coach we can get with the money we have. If we go 7-5 for the next 10 years, that is a heck of a lot better than what we have done for the last 20 plus years. Especially if every once ina while, we are better than that.

kids in New York and New Jersey and Pa know Mullen. I don't believe it. Kids know right now and that is about it.
They also watch games and see him every weekend … he also recruited a lot of kids that are finishing up their high school careers as they were frosh or sophomores when he met them. Outside of that it doesn’t matter, do you honestly think kids don’t sit and watch like we do?

I have a pro Mullen opinion just because of his QB history … look at what he did with Fitzgerald, Prescott and Trask. He also score a recruiting coup getting Richardson to UF. Now give him the Dome to develop a QB in … I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Dino points at Jimmy G … Mullen has a far better track record and that’s not even including what he did as an OC with talent he had prior to taking the Miss St job.

What coach would recruits know?
I don’t think it is recruits that need to know the coach as much as the HS coaches having a relationship with the coach. Golden fits that for Northeastern HSs and likely Florida too.

Recruits have coaches and advisors. I mean, coaching and winning in the SEC is doing it at the highest level of college ball.
No question it is. But what someone did at florida a few years ago, isn't going to carry much weight when he is now at Syracuse and recruiting in the northeast.

the 1 in 8 chance are numbers that you are making up. They may be right but we have no way in knowing. The idea has to be to get the best coach we can get right now. If we have the money, and I don't know what that looks like, we pay for the best coach we can get with the money we have. If we go 7-5 for the next 10 years, that is a heck of a lot better than what we have done for the last 20 plus years. Especially if every once ina while, we are better than that.
That is usually what IMO means

They also watch games and see him every weekend … he also recruited a lot of kids that are finishing up their high school careers as they were frosh or sophomores when he met them. Outside of that it doesn’t matter, do you honestly think kids don’t sit and watch like we do?

I have a pro Mullen opinion just because of his QB history … look at what he did with Fitzgerald, Prescott and Trask. He also score a recruiting coup getting Richardson to UF. Now give him the Dome to develop a QB in … I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Dino points at Jimmy G … Mullen has a far better track record and that’s not even including what he did as an OC with talent he had prior to taking the Miss St job.
Yeah, I think kids in the northeast don't know who Mullen is. Not right now. In the south, sure. By the way, I would do a dance if we got Mullen. Just that I don't think that makes a splash with high school kids from the Northeast right now.

Yeah, I think kids in the northeast don't know who Mullen is. Not right now. In the south, sure. By the way, I would do a dance if we got Mullen. Just that I don't think that makes a splash with high school kids from the Northeast right now.
That’s fair but I do think he has enough cache to overcome any of that …

I know. But the 1 in 8 number is just kind of strange to me. Where do you get that?
Honestly I think that is being generous. I think maybe there maybe 10 difference makers if that. There are 70 P4 jobs. So that makes 1 in 7.

Mullen’s QB history speaks for itself … that and I never knew about the whole NH mafia thing … whatever the hell that is.

Following an undefeated 2004 season which led to Utes QB Alex Smith being the first overall pick in the draft Meyer was hired by the University of Florida. Mullen served as interim offensive coordinator[9] for the 2005 Fiesta Bowl and led the team to a 35–7 win over the Pittsburgh Panthers. After the victory Mullen would join Meyer's staff at Florida as offensive coordinator and QB coach.

As a coach, Mullen has coached several notable players, including quarterbacks Alex Smith (Utah), Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow (Florida), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State), and Kyle Trask (Florida).

Mullen, along with former Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, are part of the so-called "New Hampshire mafia" as they all have strong connections to New Hampshire.[10]

That’s fair but I think it’s more important how he’d do in the portal and with all his years of coaching I bet he has tons of contacts to help make him successful.

Outside of NJ, we don’t mine very much from the NE as it is right now. In part because we always seem to get closed out on the blue chips and in part because there is a lack of talent overall in the NE.

So as long as he hires assistants with strong ties to key concentration areas in the NE, then I’m not really seeing what the issue is with him specifically. Marrone had really strong ties to NYC, emphasized it with his hires and we still couldn’t land the higher profile kids out of NYC and LI for the most part. Consistent winning and a national presence is the only thing changing that.

he also recruited a lot of kids that are finishing up their high school careers as they were frosh or sophomores when he met them.
There are probably going to be quite a large number of guys he recruited in the portal. that has to be considered. He could pull a haul of talent from the portal.

There are probably going to be quite a large number of guys he recruited in the portal. that has to be considered. He could pull a haul of talent from the portal.
Very fair point

I will put it another way. This is just for example's sake using extremes. So please people, don't go off on tangents.

Let's say we can get Dabo for $8M a year. If he came here I think he would only average 8-4 seasons. That is because of the limitations we have as a program. So we are paying $1M per win.

Then let's say we can get Al Golden for $3.5M a year. If he came here I think we would average 7-5 seasons. So we are paying him $0.5M per win.

Is it worth paying twice as many per W and $4.5M overall just for a one W difference? IMO that answer is no.

Additionally if you ever need to get out of a contract, which is easier paying off the $8M or the $3.5M per year contract?

So my point is, chances are who ever the next HC is it won't likely make a big difference in our record. If that is the case, why pay more money for basically the same results?

And to put it another way...

IMO Narduzzi is a better HC than Hafley. If either were the HC at SU, there would be very little difference record wise between the two. It won't matter a whole lot because of our limitations as a program. If in most cases it will not make a big change in the record, why over pay for similar results?

Honestly I think that is being generous. I think maybe there maybe 10 difference makers if that. There are 70 P4 jobs. So that makes 1 in 7.
I was thinking the same exact thing. You were being too generous. We have had 4 coaches since P and none of them have been difference makers. And thinking of coaching hires all over the country, 1 in 8 would be great. I will tell you this though, I will sign up for a 7 win guy that doesn't make stupid clock decisionsand has teams that keep us in games.

A 34-15 record at Florida is a significant failure.
Florida was not a historically great program. Their first top 10 finish was in 1983 and Mullen is probably the 3rd most successful coach at Florida after Spurrier and Meyer. And, he is probably the most successful coach at Mississippi St. competing in the SEC West.

Hire Mullen if he would come. He's still only 51 years old and played his HS football in New Hampshire.

I am less and less interested in High School recruiting than I am with the transfer portal and this is where I think Dan Mullen would be successful. Once his offense starts putting up numbers again because of transfers I could see the northeast kids becoming interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.