Dan Mullen | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't seem remotely credible. Now it's four games left in this season. I'd have to imagine that if Dino wins out and finishes with an 8 and 4 record, the university wouldn't be inclined to terminate him.

Please note, I'm not suggesting that closing the season of horror game winning streak is likely, or my prediction for what will happen. But it would be pretty incredible for an 8 and 4 team to fire their coach.

Which is why I don't put much stock in that prediction.

Yeah why not SEC the ACC.

Chesney and Mullen are the slam dunk candidates don’t overthink things get one of them.
If Mullen couldn't recruit to Florida, he damn sure cant recruit to Syracuse! This board amazes me. What makes you think he would be any good at Syracuse? It is going to take more than a big name to turn Cuse around. We will not be any good, until we get the money to pay players...It is as simple as that. People on these threads don't seem to get it...Kids are getting paid...really good players are getting paid a lot of money to play. Syracuse is not even close. to being able to compete in this new era.

If Mullen couldn't recruit to Florida, he damn sure cant recruit to Syracuse! This board amazes me. What makes you think he would be any good at Syracuse? It is going to take more than a big name to turn Cuse around. We will not be any good, until we get the money to pay players...It is as simple as that. People on these threads don't seem to get it...Kids are getting paid...really good players are getting paid a lot of money to play. Syracuse is not even close. to being able to compete in this new era.
Except he did recruit well at Florida

Here:

By year, class rankings
2018 – 14
2019 – 9
2020 – 8
2021 – 13

And his last four classes at Mississippi State:
2014 - 36
2015 - 18
2016 - 29
2017 - 24

What defines being able to recruit to Florida? I’m actually curious since I’ve seen this repeatedly now.

Is being able to recruit to Florida landing #1 classes every year? What is the measuring stick. Because for a fan base of a program that can’t crack the top 50 this argument is pretty bizarre.

Mullen was hired in late Nov 2017. Per Rivals

2018 - #17 - had 3 months to complete this class so not exactly the best barometer

2019 - #8

2020 - #7, including 2 5 stars

2021 - #10 - including 1 5 star

Year after he was let go they dropped to #18. His 3 full years per Rivals they were top 10 every year. For comparison, Urban Meyer had some top 5 classes (including #1 in 2007) there but he also had classes in the 10-15 range.

Except he did recruit well at Florida

Here:

By year, class rankings
2018 – 14
2019 – 9
2020 – 8
2021 – 13

I just did the same thing basically using Rivals. I don’t really get this concept that he can’t recruit. It’s a bunch of hot garbage.

First, he did recruit well at Florida.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, with his years of coaching he should have tons of contact that would be very valuable in getting kids out of the portal. To me, that's the most important thing.

Third, he's a much better coach than Dino.

I just did the same thing basically using Rivals. I don’t really get this concept that he can’t recruit. It’s a bunch of hot garbage.
I would also think that talk about his alleged not caring about recruiting would be an extra motivator for him to prove otherwise

personally I would rather take a bigger swing at upside at a much cheaper price but I don’t think most people would complain if Syracuse actually hired Dan Mullen. He might really enjoy working in an environment where at least the expectations will be reasonable.

he would be fine but we aren’t hiring somebody with a huge upside otherwise he would still be at Florida. Can’t remember many retreads that went onto great things

Heard this Belichick guy was pretty good
College to college I should have said. Lane kiffin maybe? Coach O for 1 year. Sark has been Ok too but he was fired for a few reasons.

and belichick without the greatest QB ever has pedestrian record

Last edited:
No one is going to be a great high school recruiter here, period. Get someone who can get solid 3 star HS players, portal guys with high upside that are disgruntled having to wait to play, and develop them. Teach them how to play disciplined football. Don’t make dumb in game decisions, one after another. Make your team believe they can win, including against higher competition. That is what we need. If that’s Mullen, ok.

To add to this rant: we play in a conference with a ton of teams that are decent, not a lot of great ones. We play in a conference where you play 4 OOC games and not 3, so you can schedule an extra game that is friendly. We can be ranked 50th in recruiting and win games, we just need someone who knows how to freaking develop and coach

No one is going to be a great high school recruiter here, period. Get someone who can get solid 3 star HS players, portal guys with high upside that are disgruntled having to wait to play, and develop them. Teach them how to play disciplined football. Don’t make dumb in game decisions, one after another. Make your team believe they can win, including against higher competition. That is what we need. If that’s Mullen, ok.
Agreed and I would be fine with him and He would probably be fine. Just seems very safe and hey that’s maybe what we need

Agreed and I would be fine with him and He would probably be fine. Just seems very safe and hey that’s maybe what we need
Yeah I still am dreaming of getting Cignetti but safe might be ok for sure

There are 2 names on a short list right now and Dan Mullen is not on it. Just an fyi. Not an opinion. Sharing what I know. But he’s not on it as of right now

I am just glad there is a list. Anyone that has been discussed so far? I wont ask specific names as I know you cant share that

personally I would rather take a bigger swing at upside at a much cheaper price but I don’t think most people would complain if Syracuse actually hired Dan Mullen. He might really enjoy working in an environment where at least the expectations will be reasonable.

he would be fine but we aren’t hiring somebody with a huge upside otherwise he would still be at Florida. Can’t remember many retreads that went onto great things
After what he did as Miss St of all places ... folks keep forgetting he had that dumpster fire program #1 in the polls at one point. Go look at what Croom did before he got there, it is far better than anyone we have had since the Mac/P days and it isn't even close.

There are 2 names on a short list right now and Dan Mullen is not on it. Just an fyi. Not an opinion. Sharing what I know. But he’s not on it as of right now
I have zero confidence in choices they make. I’m guessing it’s someone on the cheap. Hopefully they do better then a local high school coach.

College to college I should have said. Lane kiffin maybe? Coach O for 1 year. Sark has been Ok too but he was fired for a few reasons.

and belichick without the greatest QB ever has pedestrian record

He could be our Frank Solich :)

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.