Dan Mullen | Page 222 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real info was that there was a discussion with him and the administration. I don't recall seeing any insiders saying his hiring was imminnent but maybe I missed it.
JW obviously knows what Syracusefan.com is and he knows what TNIAAM is. There was a lot of smoke. LOTS. How many players, potential transfers, and alums started following Kenny Chesny on twitter since last week? He knows what twitter/X is. He knows who the fanbase is. He can either encourage the rumor mill and wild speculation or put a clamp on something if it is only a pipedream. It takes one tweet (as we've seen).

Worse, he knows what the history of the Syracuse sports programs are: approaching two decades of irrelevance in football and a decade of irrelevance in basketball. There are 50,000 potential paying customers champing at the bit to flood the dome again for successful programs. It's his decision to fire a mediocre coach without a new hire in place and drag the song and dance out over the holiday week. Instead we're likely getting an "up and coming" 46 year old head coach who has never won an FBS game to "not rebuild the program". Not showing JAB the door until he craterd the program and then going with the easiest hire ever. WBB coach? LAX coach? Remember the leaked dome plans? Bowie/Bouie? Lol.

Amateur hour up on the hill and it shows again and again.

Sure but there were some very plugged insiders who said the exact opposite. If the AD wanted to squash rumors, they could have done so very quickly. This reads more that it was close but fell apart at the end.
Did Mullen only tweet that it wasn't happening? Why tweet at all?

JW obviously knows what Syracusefan.com is and he knows what TNIAAM is. There was a lot of smoke. LOTS. How many players, potential transfers, and alums started following Kenny Chesny on twitter since last week? He knows what twitter/X is. He knows who the fanbase is. He can either encourage the rumor mill and wild speculation or put a clamp on something if it is only a pipedream. It takes one tweet (as we've seen).
1701091769908.jpeg

I don’t honestly remember Monday morning pressers after the season ends. Was there one when the bye week started?

There is always a Monday HC presser after the game. That probably got canceled. Nunes, who said there was a Wildhack presser backed off from that last night.

Yup. Also blindly forgetting that other reliable posters confirmed he was in Syracuse.

ADs office clamped down on info and leaks after that. Then something happened. Don’t get mad at the messenger. So many a holes.

There is a difference in saying Hearing rumors we are involved with Mullen vs My source said Mullen is hired as the next HC.

Worse, he knows what the history of the Syracuse sports programs are: approaching two decades of irrelevance in football and a decade of irrelevance in basketball. There are 50,000 potential paying customers champing at the bit to flood the dome again for successful programs. It's his decision to fire a mediocre coach without a new hire in place and drag the song and dance out over the holiday week. Instead we're likely getting an "up and coming" 46 year old head coach who has never won an FBS game to "not rebuild the program". Not showing JAB the door until he craterd the program and then going with the easiest hire ever. WBB coach? LAX coach? Remember the leaked dome plans? Bowie/Bouie? Lol.

Sorry but you expect the Syracuse AD to publicly address every coaching rumor on Syracusefan and Twitter? No AD at any P5 school is going to do that ever. I think he of all people know how important this hire is but he's not gonna hold Mullen at gunpoint to sign a contract.

There is always a Monday HC presser after the game. That probably got canceled. Nunes, who said there was a Wildhack presser backed off from that last night.

Nunes was part of the problem. Aren't they a credentialed reporter, as suggested in the replies to that tweet?

If so, then why the rush to be first because of something you heard. Just be the first to tweet after they get the official info.

Everyone wants to be the one to break things so badly that they don't really care if its vetted.

Copy that. We could probably dig it up if there was one last year.

If there was one for today that got canceled I don’t think there is any conspiracy to it. It would be Nunzio and there’s really no point.

So the fit for Syracuse is someone from a tiny school with no recruiting experience?
In other words: it's very on brand for Syracuse. They sure do like TV checks and gate receipts though, JW is going to have to hire another 4 or 5 SVPs though to make up for the shortfall in spending on athletic coaches. At least until the P5 explodes and leaves SU as the biggest dog in the Patriot League.

Sorry but you expect the Syracuse AD to publicly address every coaching rumor on Syracusefan and Twitter? No AD at any P5 school is going to do that ever. I think he of all people know how important this hire is but he's not gonna hold Mullen at gunpoint to sign a contract.
Agree. I also think they did push back through Thamel and coaching scoop website. But folks didn’t want to believe those things.

There is a difference in saying Hearing rumors we are involved with Mullen vs My source said Mullen is hired as the next HC.

Can't recall him saying that (maybe he did) but do we really need a public lynching over it? I mean the information was wrong, it happens, even hardcore insiders guys I know for a fact are dialed in sometimes get it wrong. Calling them out after the fact seems idiotic even for this board.

What coach sell tickets?
I liked the idea of Mullen, but I was never sold on the idea that we would sell out all of next season based on him coming here. If you had asked 1000 random people entering the Dome on Saturday who Dan Mullen was, less than 20% would even know. And if you asked where he last coached, less than 10% would know.

Generally speaking, Syracuse fans are fans of Syracuse, not of college football. Dan Mullen wasn't going to sell any appreciable amount of tickets that wouldn't have been sold otherwise..

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel

My guess is these are the initial names that the consultant and JW wanted to target. Some other curious folk (maybe Mullin) inquired and asked about the job and what the salary range was.

Ultimately you are getting agents reaching out to JW, damaged good guys like Ed Orgeron, prob Steve Addazio and others who have no chance at the job. I'm sure relationships tied to Pasqualoni may have inquired (Patricia?). All of it was seductive to JW because it widened the playing field.

Ultimately the head hunter is distilling it down into realistic guys with realistic/non pie in the sky salary demands.

JW was a poster on here back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.